Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Australian Gold Rush 1850's

Article about: My small town was born in the 1850's as part of the Victorian Gold Rush, I have found tokens and coins that pre-date our town and must have been dropped by the pioneers who came here from al

?

Default Australian Gold Rush 1850's

My small town was born in the 1850's as part of the Victorian Gold Rush, I have found tokens and coins that pre-date our town and must have been dropped by the pioneers who came here from all over the world hoping to swap blood, sweat and tears for gold and a new life.
    I don't know if it is appropriate here as I suppose it's not a battlefield, although it was just as dangerous and has some military history in later years, I have found musket balls, WW2 ammo and modern ammo right next to each other, dropped at various times in history.
    If it is inappropriate to share my finds here please delete the post, but in the meantime, can someone help me with advice on how to clean up these old tools I found the other day, I am hoping to make a display soon that we can exhibit in our local hub.
    C

?

Australian Gold Rush 1850'sAustralian Gold Rush 1850'sToken from 1855, these tokens were minted in Birmingham England for a wealthy Melbourne businessman that used to run supply wagons up from Melbourne to the gold diggings in and around Ballarat Victoria, my town is about 15mins drive from Ballarat. The businessman E. DeCarle was one of the founding fathers of Melbourne.

?

Australian Gold Rush 1850'sAustralian Gold Rush 1850's

One of my bucket list finds.. so happy when I found this WW2 era Rising Sun on the gold fields

I'd love to see the RS cleaned up and more of your finds

?

Cleaned

?

This photo of the RS being cleaned was cool in that it appeared the badge had a skull for a crown

Some might say that this thread does not comply to the intent of the forum Colin but it was as you say a 'battlefield' of sorts and the rising sun badge shows that it drew fortune hunters from the military over the years too! As far as preserving your finds, you cant go past soaking them in a mix of stinky old 20:1 molasses & water fermenting over a couple of weeks.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

now that's funny nice one hehehehe.

?

Found 50% of a buckle, which a mate helped me identify as being of Irish origin.. another better conditioned one in gold being found elsewhere on the Victorian Goldfields.

?

Cheers Dan, someone mention Molasses to me before but they didn't know the ratio, so cheers for that.
    C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast