Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102
Results 1,011 to 1,013 of 1013

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

BTW ~ Being a Fully fledged member of the ACCA ~ I was gifted package yesterday ~

He said " I have a few Lee Enfield SMLE Drill rounds you cab have as I don't want them ~ "

Whooha ~ Just a few and some misc others ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

FIRST tWO OUT OF THE snake oIL AND A LITTLE tlc

Fossick #459

Absolutely perfect day ~ clear skies ~ not a could in the sky ~ Dead calm early ~

Up early ~ lazy start and still managed to head of around 07:45 ~

A good run ~ no hassles ~ the only one that obstructed me was a push bike rider on a double white line ~ Had to be one I guess ~

Roberto was already waiting when I arrived at the meet point .

We headed back to check out another area ~ where we figured there evidence to suggest yet another camp site ~

Early indicators suggested that no one has been here as I found a NSW Beer bottle dated 1943 ~ Intact ~

We split up and I headed SE and Rob the opposite armed with the ATP ~ His First day out with a top level MD ~

I soon discovered serious rubbish burial site and called Rob via radio to come back to where I was !

He had barely arrived o the scene and he raucously announced he had dug a Rising Sun ~ He was stoked!! I was ecstatic for him ~

We plugged on and came across even more trash holes ~

I then worked south ward into the Bush ~ but it just got heavier ~ Puppy worked on flushing out any Joe Blakes.. Which is a little concerning for the dog to say the least ~

I managed to locate small suggestions of occupation and buildings including nails and misc small ferrous bits ~

Rob and I eventually agreed to break for Smoko and then hit the place again ~ we decided to back track the bush and find the cut inland to see if we could finds a bush track I located several years ago but since has been over grown ~ This we hoped would put us into the centre of the camp !

I drove through the brush despite the heavy going a scan thin brush gerund areas but found Nothing ~ I pushed on to emerge where we had worked earlier ~

Time was pushing on and I wanted to do a Hunt rather than a recce which had left us wanting some what ~

We spent about an hour doing a Hunt on the now established area.

Some results ~ The Cigarette case was a big disappointment as it was it was complete on two halves but ~ damaged and beyond saving!

Robert struggled with the Advanced MD as he was fighting sensitivity and false signal issues but I explained this is a reality Check with being a novice. ~

But as I explained even I was having similar issues but just remember a good signal will "jump out " at you and no mistakes! ~

I also have found yet another AMF Button with the Split pin intact ~ again I have never seen this ~

The Penny has to be one of the Best I have recovered for a very long time and found under a large fallen tree trunk ~ I struggled to retrieve it in fact ~

What I thought was a very rough Rising Sun which ~ I found very late in the day ~ In fact it turned out to be the best one I have found of recent and has the maker's stamp clearly on the rear "Luke MELB"

It is very rare to find a RS that has been buried for < 75 years> and retain the maker's mark with such clarity .

A great day if not exhausting ~