Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 132 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

check you 2lber shells very carefully. Some had markings embossed into the body of the shell

Cheers Steve

The better one of the four does have extensive engravings ~ " BHP 2689 MO P 2PR MKIX /X6 NS BS / ??
    3/42

Certainly has a lot to say for a lowly 2 pdr, eh ? LOL
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 12-02-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Yeah, the markings are a bit over the top aren't they. Still, at least it has a date

Certainly has a lot to say for a lowly 2 pdr, eh ? LOL
    I bet the Japenese tanks that had run in's with these Australian Two pounders may not have quite agreed with my statement !

Update on my Shell restorations ~

The Molasses gives a STUNNING result ~

The shell collection to date ~ stage two.. more to follow with brass polishing to be completed ~

ALL deemed safe by authorized local ~

Two Pounder case plus “Squash head” anti –tank round –Solid shot – Plus AP solid shot two pounder / 40 mm

HE shell case ( rare 'fired' find. Intact and disarmed = 25 lber. )

Smoke round 4.5”

Unusual impacted flattened body ~ Smoke shell ~ 4.5”

2 * Smoke shells 25 lber

Base plate from 25 lber case = inscribed with specifications

All but 2 lbers immersed in Molasses for < 2- 3 weeks> .
    Merete, better half Luvs them ~ She reckons they are the BIG WOWW Factor ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 12-05-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Saturday ~ I headed out around 11.30 and headed for the Scout camp where I found the 1967 Colt AR rounds and the clutch of decimal (post 1966 ) coins ~ but to my HORROR ~ the camp was over flowing with boats and peeps ~

So I headed back to the Fun Park ~ despite the water is steady at 62% I was ready for Plan B and I bought along the ******* ~

The water is border line rank ~ IMO and thus I wear the ******* as I tend to stir up the bottom ~ an older lady and her son and toddler waded in metres from me and took a dip~ ( Have that on your own Pet ! ~ BTW)

Ironically she asked what I was chasing.. She thought I was after bait fish!! ( WArrtt!! ) LOL

In fact She lives in one of the houses further up the hill ~ and was not even aware that the area even had a history of WWII occupancy or presence ~

I explained that I had even fossicked right to her back fence and found badges and coins ~ She was quite aghast merely by my finds, rather than the fact I MD to her back fence ~

So after a few hours wading and even working the higher ground, with some intriguing results ~

Foremost ~ My oldest coin to date ~ in a metre of water ~ well all three were in the water ~

Penny 1889

Penny- date unknown

Half Penny 1929

Mystery items ~
    Brass fitting ??????
    Plus very strange 303 cartridge ????? ‘ ALS 4 NXC (?) OR ; - - 94 (?)

The hammer head (Lead) had me bamboozled right up until I cleaned the dirt off ~ found in high ground ~

“Australia” shoulder badge

Webbing buckles incl. one with tang

AMF tunic button

Nice brass bolt (even though damaged ~ Ripper!)

Brass ring ~ no idea

The mystery round ~ Assist appreciated on this one!

I can make out VII 194? (Cant read the last date digit) which is a Mk7 round from 194?, I cant make out the manufacturer code. It looks to have been in a fire or some ones broken the bullet off the cartridge as its unfired, perhaps someone wanted the filling to help start a camp fire.

Yes.. the thing has not been fired.. and has the cordite intact ... A little bizare ~ both of us have endeavoured to read the inscription but can't quite make it ~

The fact that the upper casting is perfect and even, says it is no accident that it is 'cast' that way ~ ???

Here is a comparison of the cartridges ~ 303 ~ Blank and the Mystery item ~ and finally the 303 Full metal jacket

Reiterating that the mystery item is still loaded ~ and the upper ridge is perfectly cast ~

I have measured the OD of each.... and logically the mystery item would not fit the breach of a stock LE !

?????

Just had an intriguing email from our "in house" expert ~

2nd item in first photo is No. 6 booby trap switch.
    Explosives and Booby Traps of the Auxiliary Units

What a find !

Page 18 of 132 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 118 ... LastLast