Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 25 of 132 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Saturday ~

Getting withdrawals sysmptons ~ not been relic hunting for two weeks so went and had a look at the dam site ~ but as the Wet season has finally bitten down the water levels have risen well over a metre~

So I worked the high groud where I found my second Rising Sun badge ~

Heaps of hits ~ heaps ~ but lots of iron signals ~ a few hours before the February Sun wore me down ~

But some interesting finds.

A nice 1943 penny ~ but the most intriguing is the safety pull pin ~ Please help on that one ~ I have seen the thing before ~ but cannot place it !

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

That is a securing pin for British .303 ammo crates.
    These boxes held cloth bandoleers with 50 rounds .303 in it.
    Fairly common finds here in Flandres

That is a securing pin for British .303 ammo crates.
    These boxes held cloth bandoleers with 50 rounds .303 in it.
    Fairly common finds here in Flandres
    Thanks mate ~ ''

I knew I had seen it some where ~

(My Shout~ buy ~ at the bar ~ )

Cheers ~

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    An even better view of a 155 mm Long Tom at Tolga 1944

Mighty big guns mate , I was unaware that they had them over here either .

Let me know if you ever go anywhere near Georgetown in your travels , I know its not close to you , ie inland a few hours + +

KW

Yes George town is on our list but it is a long way from the top and the top of the list just keeps getting bigger and fatter!

This Wednesday promises to be intriguing as I had achat with the property owner, a German about my age and he never even realised that the property even had a WWII history but went some ways to explain why his cattle keep revealling (intact) beer bottles in the grass ~

So even though he is a German immigrant ~ "I DID mention the war !"~

( And most of us know who Aust diggers loved their beer ~ as some one said to me ! beer with a wet bag thrown over them and that was refrigeration 1940s style !

Most AIF bivouac sites I have worked are littered with beer bottle s but rarely intact ~ )

And thanks for the Long Tom poster ~ very Cool ~

Cheers

Stuart SS
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 02-16-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Well , if you ever go Georgetown way , let me know , there is a RAAF Calatina crash site , I know of. My great uncle was the only survivor , He received the George Medal for bravery for pulling a fellow crew member out of the burning wreck , but unfortunately he died a few days later in hospital.
    He flew in Cats during WW2 as a Flight Engineer , and after the war retrained as a pilot and flew Lincoln Mk 31's out of Townsville with No 10 Squadron .
    He also lost a lot of friends in the 1955 Mt Superbus crash A73-64 in 1955.
    This Catalina crash happened 1950 , Serial No A24-105 , why he was on it at that time , I really dont know. It lost a engine and crashed and burnt.
    Thats a pic of the original plane.m
    He went on to be one of the 1st RAAF C-130A pilots to ferry from US to Aus and flew them until a desk job and retired as a Wing Commander in 72.
    1942-1972 thats not a bad effort

Mate

My cousin ~ now a retired Police Officer ~ as of Jan 13 ~ was posted at George Town for some years and I have even met blokes that knew him around this area ~

And he told me of the crash site which he visited ~

(The WWII blokes were whole lot tougher than we will ever be ~ A great Uncle of mine was a long service RAAF pilot though out the WWII and qualified to fly almost every RAAF plane of the day ! ~ but two weeks after VJ day he was lost in a storm in a C47 off New Guinea, along the military band he was ferrying ~ )

KW

A reply from my cousin ~

Stuart;

Yes, I have been to this crash site.

It is between Georgetown and Cumberland dam.

I went there is the early eighties, whilst I was stationed there.

There was a lot of burnt aluminium and stainless steel cable pullies, off the controls from the plane scattered around the site.

It is believed that they were trying to make it to the Cumberland dam to try and put it down. It is not a Huge dam, but it would be the only place to land a cat in that area.

Regards

Ian

Decided to play around a little yesterday after I identified these two sites ~

The first is around a Kilometre from our front door ~

The second is less than 500 m further on ~

Our first attempt and guess they could be improved ~ but Hey ~ just a little " camera play " ~ on a Sunday afternoon!

(I need to be a little further back up the rise I think ~ )

(Almost right ! )

Page 25 of 132 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 75 125 ... LastLast