Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 34 of 132 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 84 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

I did two runs over the last ten day with MD mate ~ week days ~ as I had time off work ~

No spectacular finds but a mix of intriguing pieces. So many mystery items ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Original Military road.

Some sort of armour vehicle hatch as it is very heavy and 1/4" steel~This site was a Cavalry/ armoured unit

Found a trash dump ~ hole around a metre radius ~ heaps of signals !

A solo afternoon well spent ~

Wednesday last ~

All in one hole ~

Ironically I found two same Ingrams shave cream jars in two holes metres apart ~

Only one AMF brass button ~

Well Just received a complimentary kick in the teeth with my relics!

I have said it before but I have speculated that the only way I think I will ever find any WWII Axis forces relics from the European campaign would be through an Australian Digger who served in North Africa , or other related fronts, then procuring a relic, returning to Australia then losing or rejecting the item while on service in this area!

Well this week I posted the new video on my U-Tube account and I was approached via PM by "Robert" who it turns out is in Holland and has been an amateur archaeologist for some twenty years ~ Robert asked me to identify what he could not identify , that being the 303 ammo box T pin piece.

After some congenial exchanges he browsed my photo bucket files and came back to me to announce that I had unwittingly already found such an item ( in an Australian AIF camp) !

I had in fact dug up a German Army Aluminium personal canteen cup !!

It was pretty damaged and my MD mate suggested it was too small for an American issue and it was post WWII ~ There were no markings but the colour, a dark blue patchy paint struck me as more than a little unusual !

Then my partner was dismayed that I would even bring the thing home and it ended up in the recycling bin !!!

I broke my own rule ~ DO NOT DISCARD ANY ITEM UNTIL IT HAS BEEN POSITIVELY 100% identified ~
    AND YES ~ I have given myself several upper cuts to the jaw!!

We've all done it I'm sure, your not the first and you sure wont be the last to do so.

Yes ~ well ~

Hoping to do a recce this Friday ~ If the rain racks off ~ see if we can find an Afrika Corp Bayonet and scabbard/ Frog eh ~ or helmet ~ that would be nice ~

Anything with a stamp or inscription noting WWII German forces perhaps ! LOL

Wednesday ~

As typical ~ l Ed and I headed out Weds. Ed has a busy schedule on the weekends and I usually have Wednesday off as a matter of company policy.

While waiting for us to show up at the rendezvous point "Terry" worked a local BBQ and park area with a spectacular result ~

Complete with Silver Hallmark !

So we made the Bush site and geared up by 10.30 ~ Once rigged we each headed different directions ~

I decided I was going to head back to where I had found the first of the brown shave cream jars., as there was a deep, hgh signal target, and I did not have a spade ont he day!

This plan took me some TWO HOURS as the targets were so frequent and many!

On the way I found a vintage shifter, several spoons ~ a bewt 1943 three pence ~ and a Rising Sun!

I finally made the target spot and started in with my new spade!

I had to dig half way to China to get the target which turned out to be a WWII standard issue food serving tray with wire handle ~ interesting and sadly it is steel and not aluminium ~ unusual!

Over the radio we decided to meet back fo lunch ~ I started working back and blow me down I pulled another Rising Sun ~

Lunch time tally ~

Lunch over we headed off again ~

I headed back to another area I had had some success with ~

And blow me down it was on fire ~ in quality . rather tan quantity ~

A Lee Enfield Oiler tube ~ Cool!

A 1922 King George Penny

A 1940 FLORIN ~ SUPERB ~

I found what I thought was a cut down high calibre , even Boys antitank round but Terry was adamant that ti is a spacer form a period truck engine ! (??)

Time was ticking and in the end I was rushing targets with lower echoes ~ again we have to go back yet again ~ Our own Camp Cable here ~

As the RS's were encrusted I decided to "torch them" .. soaked then lightly buffed ~ remembering they have been buried in dubious soil for 70 years.. I call it a good result ~

?

Hey mate,that item certainly does have a boys look to it,might be some form of trenchart or maybe someone made a stopgap spacer out of a casing...does it have a headstamp?

Sean

It does have ahead stamp and I will do a update right now ~ ( I am not sure if Terry was yanking my chain or not as he was in a S/ stirring mood on Wednesday ~ LOL)

Here it is . and I was right ~ a cut down Boys Ant-tank round ~ and Terry was trying to sell me the Sydney Harbour bridge too when he tried to tell me it was an engine component ~

Thanks Sean!

Looks like a MK 2 armour piercing case. Incidentally the diagram you posted is of a rare chamber insert to fire .22 rimfire on gallery ranges etc. quite a rare item and one was found by the RRPG a few years back.

Page 34 of 132 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 84 ... LastLast