Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 37 of 132 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 87 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

mate great finds, we are scratching around Sth Est Qland at the moment and loving it, although snake season is apon us and contractors are closing in fast. such a great state to dig in

I also stripped the Mystery projectile ~ which I found last month~

It now has a "hollow" brass casing with an end cap~ and a steel over case ~ plus frags of bright Green paint ~

We have decided that this lil' fella is not to be toyed with ~

although snake season is apon us and contractors are closing in fast. such a great state to dig in
    Mate ~ Funny you should say that ~ as I am almost paranoid after the conversation with the Cockies wife, Sarah and the Tiapan encounter ~ and then she and Terry talk about chest high attacks.. But then some resolve as Terry's Wife, Kay was a tad cynical abut the odds of a chest high Snake attack ~

But then as a Kid I recall a huge Brown coiled up abut one metre ~ about to hit my Mum ~ until she whacked it with an aluminium boiler pot ~ Thank Goodness as we as Kids would have had NO idea what to do and we had No phone on the farm then !!

Ironic that I have yet to even see a snake on my Hunts ~ and we are tad sceptical at all about snake Hibernation here ~

Are you 'doing' the Camp Cable site ?

My current full combat gear !

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 09-18-2014 at 06:59 AM.

?

Hey any chance of a few pics of the mystery bullet?

No worries Sean

Now I do believe this was tossed into a 'bonfire' as the 'hole' i dug it from was a fire pit ~ and this goes some way to explaining the severe rusting on the outer casement ~

?

hard to ID in its current condition..nothing springs to mind looking at its shape and size compared to a 50 BMG...curious

May be a .55 cal Boys rifle projectile. The rust would make it appear a larger dia. due to flaking of the oxide. The amount of rust also supports this IMO as the .55 boys round was steel jacketed (AT) .

All the best

Dave

As for the WWII Military steel chest one metre down ~ I found it on the 16th August ~

But as it was very late in the day I could not see the bottom of the hole to consider digging it up then ~ so I reburied it and would come back ~ but then I got crook and time slid past ~

Then because I did not mark the spot ~ Drongo ! ~ I figured it was no big deal in locating the spot ~ but no guess what ~ Yesterday I could not find it ~

But in my slumber the now obvious solution is upon me ~

I will go back armed with a length of rod ~ the only one I can think of is a length of aluminium rod ~ a I have lurking it the garden shed ~

So I return and then use the rod as a ‘depth sounder “ which would penetrate the soil easily and even hit the top of the box ~

Firstly the soil is soft having being dug previously and the hole is up to a metre deep and finally as stated the rod will hit and ID the metal box ! And I do not have to dig a single spade full until then~

I did not expect to lose the thing and should have simply placed a stone or a tick in the ground to mark the spot ~ I did not have my GPS on me which could have identified or tagged !

But in my search yesterday it turned into quite good day ~

Landed on the site and started digging where I knew the chest was ~ I dug a hole large enough to deal with a medium size military chest ~

But then I hit a layer of clay ~ and all was in perfect layer as in never dug ! ??

Plus the dug ground was not deep enough to suggest being previously dug to any depth ? !

So I expanded the ground and retrieved the metal detector ~ LOTS of signals and started to dig good targets ~ But no chest ~!

Time wore on and I refilled each area once I was satisfied the area was clear of any targets ~ Very confusing now !

I spent some threw hours digging but this included cautiously digging holes which turned out intact glass bottles which turned out to be some rippers !

No chest !! (??)

I dug an area < 5m * 2m >1m > ?? HEAPS of mixed signals ~ even tried assessing with depth gauge on ATP ~

Some same webbing buckles

I can dig buckles ALL day and be happy !

Suddenly I put a test hole in the middle of a bottle dump~

A collectors bonus ~

This bewty has ~ on bottom ~ R d N O 9710

L-R Bottle with four finger dimples on either side ~ Johnson and Johnson

Centre bottle has on base ; 466

Top right ; arched embossing ; CHESEBROUGH (then flat embossed ) MANFG.CO.CD. (Then opposite arch) NEW YORK

Left “ink Bottle “ no embossing

Both black caps extremely fragile ~

And to finish ~ last but not least ~

Of course if you can’t find the mystery chest ~

What better score ~ (??) Than~

Hmm HAS to be thirty now !!

WITH pins on the back ~ but both pins are different to teh convential split pin mounts ~

THE FREAK strikes again~

No idea

Fossick #142 Day 2 ~ The Great Chest Quest

Okay
    Headed off around 12.00 ~ On site 12.30.

Perfect day ~ light cloud ~ light southerly breeze ~

Came prepared with soil penetrating probes ~ as I decided to deep probe the site ~

( Already give myself serious upper cuts ! If I had marked the spot with a stone or a stake ~ None of this would have taken place ~ &&^*&^ Drongo!)

First I tried a solid wire ~ too light and no use ~ I ended up using a 1 1/2 M length of dowel to probe the ground ~ ( Really need a T piece for this though! )

(May add a 1*metre steel T piece 1/4” rod to my MD kit for future usage especially for bottles ~ )

A; looking for soft patches to a depth of 1m ~

B; search for solid object at approx one metre ~

C; search for a larger area ~ size of a steel chest ~ consistent signal ~

Even dug a number of test foxholes ~

No joy !

But still more relics and more bottles ~

So again not a lost day but certainly looks like a lost cause ~

Spoke at length with Terry and agrees what we should do is wait till we have a team day and if that day is in the area we will take the heavy artillery with Ed’ and Terry’s Minelab, E track,CTX 3030 and see what they can “see’”!

A great couple of days with the Rising Sun and the misc plus a fantastic array of period glassware ~

Take Homes

Two small medicine bottles

A Lee Enfield Bayonet grip securing bolt

A webbing buckle

A Button

A boot stop

Half a 'battle damaged' 'Australia' shoulder badge

Trash including a hole filled with steel boot heel irons ; U and misc not included

Not to forget the Holy of Holies ~ Rising Sun ~ not present ~

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    May be a .55 cal Boys rifle projectile. The rust would make it appear a larger dia. due to flaking of the oxide. The amount of rust also supports this IMO as the .55 boys round was steel jacketed (AT) .

All the best

Dave
    Dave

I tend to agree as I also recently found a .55 case which had been cut down and still the primer was intact ~ Plus Ed found several Boys magazine inner guide strips ~ and then was a Anti tank unit supposedly camped nearby ~

That site we have not even tried to find yet as it is in dense rain forest ~ especially this time of year one does not really need to be trudging through thick forest as the snakes get over their hibernation and their annual testosterone rush ~

So I decided to do another run to locate the mystery chest ~

I dug a single slit trench about 1/5 metres long where I figured it was ~ about 25 cm deep and the spade blade wide ~ but again I hit that clay pan ~ and it was unbroken~
    But in an area which I have revisited many times and essentially hammered when I needed a quick fix in < 40 mins> I came up with the following which IMO was very impressive ~

A 1932 3d KG V
    A AMF Button

Plus the other misc items ~

I am seriously questioning my technique with the Pro ~ I keep finding stuff in the same area tells my technique ***** ~ LOL

We also planned a Weds hunt with the three of us as can be seen below ~

Page 37 of 132 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 87 ... LastLast