Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 39 of 132 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Okay Looks like the Arisaki story I went through !

The shell case IS a LEBEL ; 8x50R Lebel "CP 40 F 1" Not a Musrata as first thought!

And I am sure a Digger has bought it back from Palestine when the Aussies routed the Vichy French !

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 10-06-2014 at 01:32 AM.

Some are aware I am playing with Electrolysis and relics.
    Had some stunning results ~

An AMF brass button I found last week ~ plus a frag piece which I picked up the same day ~ Includes as found ~and after compared to an un=issued same button.

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Guess it is all about strokes for Folks.. to renovate or retain the original Patina. I am not planning to treat every item just a few for example encrusted "live" rounds which are basically useless specimens.. IMO

But if i moderately treat some they come up like this !

So Terry and I did a two man jobbie yesterday ~

But as we headed off I decided to show him several unregistered sites which I was aware of ! But the shock came when I drove to the first encampment site !

I had done four trips/ hunts to the site around 18 months ago !

I gave up in frustration as the site was lousy with Lantana/ Thick brush ~ and supposedly infested with venomous Snakes ~ which I have yet to see ! ~ thankfully~ !

The cocky next door "Laurie" as he was to tell us, very soon ~ got sick of it and went in his Bulldozer and cleared 90% of the area ~ So we decided to do a Hunt right away ~

Laurie turned up and spent about 20 minutes chatting before we resumed ~ The theory is the site was used by the AIF during WWII as I had confirmed previously when I found numerous 303 shells. a 1942 fuel bung and several utensils ~

Absolutely heaps of iron targets ~ must have been a lot going on there over the years but a Work mate insists as a kid livng less than a kilometre away that there were always soldiers there ~

So with what I found and her being in her 50s , the history says there was military there form WWII into the 1960s !

Plus "Laurie" told us there was a fire in the bush across the lane way several years ago and the Firies refused to go in as there was heaps of munitions going off ~ But that area is a real snake pit ~ so need another fire in there !

As for the munitions exploding in the area ~ Not sure ~ but I tend to believe that the nearby farm~ about 1- kilometre away was a Grenade training ground and they then returned to this site to camp as there is a small stream which is fresh and clean ~

I have yet to approach that cocky ~ even if I / we swept his paddock and turned up a few Mills base plugs, it would be a great days hunt even after 70 years ~ The base plugs are always a cool find ~

Anyway after a coupe of hours we decided to resume our two stage plan and headed off to lunch before resuming the hunt!

Problem was that the first site is an extremely well used and MD public park area ~ I was extremely sceptical about the site.

But after 3-4 hours we produced some amazing goodies ~ Terry again did well due his methodical way of MD ~

I got stuck in a trash area before I moved away and quickly announced I had found an ornate ring! He asked if it has any hall mark ~ I strained to read it but I said ~ "Yeah ~ it says 375 or 8 !'

He exclaimed "Wooww! That's White Gold! "

Anyway we plugged on ~ I wandered off but as always Terry stayed in his 10 square metres all afternoon!

I found the remains of a 1950-60s Ladies watch ~ a rare brass 12 gauge shot gun cartridge ~ plus a centenary Goldie ~

When I returned Terry had dug another rings , smaller but with "white stones " Nice !

We each dug a ornate ring ~ obviously not WWII relic bu tthe site was a pre- and post war village site~ plus ~ Aust military presence during 1942- 1946

My find turned out to be 237 White Gold ~

Had a great day yet again

And ~ I am heading out tomorrow for a Solo Hunt to test my new Garrett + Bluetooth Wifi add fo remote head phones ~

Then we have a hunt planned for Monday and then another on Wednesday ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 10-10-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Took the new Wifi and bluetooth head phone upgrade on the road today ~

One word assessment ~

STUNNING

Have a few small issues but the WiFi is so sensitive and picks up every signal from the Garrett no matter how small ~

I was blown away when I went to the top most flogged sites I have in my resume ~ and thought I had sucked them dry !

Even from the Get Go ~ the site we call the Grassy Knoll ~ where I found my first Hat RS, the signals were wild ~ the signals were amazing and every thing I dug was a target ~ I had to push myself off the knoll as I wanted to do the AIF 2/1 Batt site~

Interestingly this stretch of road has barely changed one bit since WWII even despite an major upgrade earlier this year ~

I spent some 4 hours on site and thought the Garrett had been retuned to find only 303 cases and shells ~ But I was so very wrong ~

I am stoked with the up grade and as said~ will have to retraining and tweaking but it works for me BIG time !

And I will have to re-hunt every site I have ever done with out head phones ~

Plus we ~ MS M and I reset ALL the MD harness settings and assessed the test over all ~ Looks better all round including the carrier harness and swing ect !

So I worked two old sites and I was blown away ~ The sheer precision and range of small /faint but high tone signals was amazing ~

But started out pulling heaps of 303 and 9mm shells and rounds ~ and just when I thought I had enough and was heading back to the car ~ Whamo ~

Good Old faithful~

As suggested I put in a second day out on my Pat Mah loney ~

While the results were here and there as far as finds go I enjoyed it and the Bluetooth as I suggested picked up heavy traffic which other wise I would have missed for sure ~

But when I do get a good hit it is an undeniable signal as with the two coins ~

Note the large piece of Copper plate which I bought home as scrap value.

I was stormed out as a huge storm front came through mid to early afternoon ~ First one for the up coming Wet season!

`
    (The Penny is a very nice 1927 KG V and a 50th anniversary 50 cents. The very stylish glass jar was in the hole with the Copper plate! )

Wednesday saw a real early start ~ up at 04.45 and off by 5.45 ~ over to Ed's place and off ~ on site by 06.50 ~

Perfect weather and slight breeze up ~

We even back to the camp for Smoko by 10.00 and then off again!

The morning collections ~

I am getting very used to the new Blue tooth conversion but it is amazing.. The dongle picks up even the smallest signal the Garrett emits even those so short that the screen does not register ~!

I also noticed that the MD actually appears to lodge a memory of the signal and will often continue to emit the same signal as I put the MD down to dig a target~ Often I simply have to clear the MD before resuming ~

It is often to the point of frustration that the signals are so frequent ~ but on 'big' targets there is NO mistake!

So a huge day of some 9-10 hours ~ Some very nice scores although as we short on time at the end of the day I did not photo Ed's final collection ~

My take home lot ~ trash items not included ~

BUT ~ more mystery rounds ~ ??? NO idea~ appear again to be around 8 mm projectiles ~ By the simple non-stamped head stamp and the simplt tri crimp on the primer I think they are Japanese round cases~ but no rim ?

Some of the relics I renovated with Electrolysis last night ~

I made an inquiry to the Curators of the Australian War Memorial in Canberra ~ regarding my "Blue" Rising Sun ~

The reply came back today ~

Dear Stuart

Thank you for your enquiry.

I passed it onto our Conservation staff who made the following comment:

“I would say the blue is copper/sulphur corrosion products. The collar and hat Rising Sun hat badges were typically patinated using sulphur compounds to give the dark brown colour. In the right environmental conditions the brown copper sulphides can change to bright blue copper sulphides or sulphates.”

Additionally, we do not note any raised enclosures around the apparent “enamelled” section. Enamelled uses heated glass powder which flows, when super-heated, into the design and is corralled by a raised border to stop it escaping into areas not to be enamelled. It would appear too, that, once cleaned, this blue has disappeared – this would not happen with enamelling.

Overall, then, we suggest you have standard collar badges which were chemically darkened during manufacturing (most badges designed for operational use were darkened), and that this process, combined with time and climate, has been proved responsible for the blue copper sulphate colour evident on the badges.

I hope this is of assistance

Best regards

Chris Goddard

Assistant Curator

Military Heraldry & Technology

I can confidently say ~ "Dave you were ~ perhaps~ right first time around ~

Hats off to you mate ~

I know the feeling of paranoia kicking in a few sightings of snakes and a couple rumors of funnel webs kicking around, no place for the un weary , that's probably why it takes so long to get around out there haha not to mention the paralysis ticks. those little buggers have to be dug out
    Here are a couple of pics of our finds
    Enjoy
    Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recoveryAustralian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

KWD

Hamish

Mate ~ stunning ~ Thanks for posting ~ ~ I hope that was not all in one "sitting" ~ I guess this was all in Camp Cable ~

(Very sad that that place is being cut off from MD ~ )
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 11-03-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Weeeelll~ Been aGreat Friday ~

First my latest badge addition parcel appeared ~

It includes various Modern era Australian Armed forces badges including a 1991 edition Rising Sun ~ Officers pips and misc badges ~

Plus a Modern German Armoured Corp badge ~ all verified by Thernatos ~

Then a nother parcel arrived after a MD relic hunter mate donated several items to my collection ~

A Browning 1918 BAR magazine relic ~ just to keep company with my Owen SMG magazine

And finally purely as a Good luck Talisman ~ ( to reciprocate the Rising Sun i gave him for the same reason ~ ) ~ a US Army Officers badge ~

Page 39 of 132 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 ... LastLast