Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 41 of 132 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 91 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

?

Exellent finds mate. Nice that the bottle still have the cap, most bottles I find have lost it And all those sun bakers,very nice
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

Inka ~

Yes the bottle is a ripper with all the embossed print. It was buried and the Garrett hit on the cap ~ BUT ~ a moment of remiss !

I have generally found that if there is one bottle buried then there will be even more buried with it and I did not pursue that theory ~

And the Sun Bakers ~ certainly vies well for the site being untouched for sure ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 12-02-2014 at 03:51 AM.

Just had news thta several relevant areas from WWII training and encampment areas have been burnt out by brush fires ~ which is not uncommon this time of year~ After all this is our Dry season and such events are quite common ~

Most areas that do burn out either extremely isolated bush country or even cattle stations and with owner's permission of course we regularly check them out but when there is a brush fire ~ well ~ it is game on !

So a possible team effort this weekend ~ but becasue of the extreme heat as the day wears on~ We will be up with the pigeons for this one ~

Wednesday ~ another early start ~ up with the birds and on site by 06.15hrs.

Very hot out of the breeze ~ as Summer bears down on us in Australia ~

I started out well with another Rising Sun badge early ~ I appeared to be doing much better than my partner as he was stuck in 303 projectiles.

We agreed that it was not wise to right off the same signals as I had proven on the previous trip with even a Rising Sun badge giving off the same signal as the projectiles~

I scored a 20mm Hispano case which has been tampered with in a failed attempt at Trench Art ~ but still a nice score! Plus a front number plate from a as I assume a Dispatch riders motorcycle ~

We broke for smoko around 08.30

My tally to then ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

After smoko I headed east to check out an area which offers some hope ~ while Ed plugged along at the current site ~ While he did retrieve a hat Rising Sun and a cigarette lighter among the 303 projectiles ~

IMO the site was used as a firing range perhaps from 1942 and later became a camp site as most fo the beer bottles are dated 1944-45.

Another break around midday before we moved camp to a rubbish dump site which we call "The Beer Garden" as there are thousands of smashed beer bottles ~

I headed off to retrieve the radio earth spike I had previously left behind ~ I also scored a Sun baker 1913 shilling KGV ~ and a 1980s mag lite torch ~

But then without realising I crossed what may be best described as a Two -up School site and my WiFi had gone flat after some 6 hours! And Ed benefited as he picked up on a host of coins ~

A group of soldiers play a game of two-up at a two-up school in a Hotel yard.

I went on to find a host of webbing buckles and misc items ~ even a Dog tag blank !

We called it a day around 14.00 and headed home

Our joint relics ~ Ed's at the top

[CENTER]Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

We both cleaned up on coinage ~ plus I managed a number of t he AMF buttons ~

Typical examples ~

The head stamp 20mm

A mystery round ~ either a Webby .455 or a Colt 45 US service revolve ~ *Thanks Sean/ "Torch" for the input~!

The spike after one session in the electrolysis vat

?

Nice and interesting finds as usual
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

Cheers Inka

(You might like to have another look as I left out several relevant photos since you first read this post ~ )

The AMF buttons as found ~

The radio earth spike has come upa ripper ~ took ti back to bare metal ~ as suggested they were of a superior grade of metal ~

The total for the day by details

Finally got around to doing a initial Hunt on a site which I have had ear marked for a while now ~
    It is now a camp sites but there is a section of the old military service road that emerges from the nearby water and heads into the local forest ~
    I wonder if any of them even realise the relevance of the short piece of tarmac surface.

( The tarred road/s were service roads for the WWII military camps as the road conditions are extreme difficult in this rugged countryside during the wet season. So reliable access to service the camps was crucial in the War years!)

I headed out earlier this week and had a look as it were ~ there a few campers and pleasure craft etc. there but I headed to the fore shore for a sweep ~

There were a lot of signals and targets ~ I dug a couple of 303 heads which vies well for a first look ~ plus some modern but now redundant copper coins ~ plus fishing sinkers ~ and other detritus ~

But then after 1 1/2 hours the skies began to brew up as they have the last few days! So i decided to retreat rather than get caught in a tropical storm ~ and rain it did ~ complete with thunder and lightning ~

But overall ~ the initial assessment vies well for a site that will surely suggest that little has been done on the site ~ and well worth a revisit ~

Here is the latest two purchases I made regarding my Badge collection ~

Th efirst the German Tanker's badge is in Superb condition and better than I anticipated ~

Bought at a very nice price out of Italy ~ the cpntainer is an added bonus ~

(The fifty cent 50th Anniversary end of WWII / "Weary Dunlop" coin wasa MD hunt find too ~ nice score~ )

I also haveanother bid pending to purchase a set of four extra same style period badges ~

Plus I just Luv the US Army cap badges ~ ever Since Terry foudn the US Army officer's badge I have a fascination with them ~

But I also have two more on the way in two lots~

(Hmm still running ot of space here ~ LOL)

Hi Stuart,

Found a little bit more info about the design of the US cap badge. No doubt about it , it’s a particularly nice design.

I know you have a good idea of the design meaning as we discussed previously, however me being a nosey me, went a little further and came across this rather large YouTube vid and it gives some rather interesting facts about the badge symbol.

Start at the 12 min mark ---- only goes on for a couple of minutes. Rather interesting.

Secrets in Plain Sight 1-23 (Full video) - YouTube

Terry

?

Hey mate,cant seem to send this by email.. Militaria Original WW2 Australian GB Signals Aerial Accessory Pouches Patt 37 | eBay good,cheap one for your spike

Page 41 of 132 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 91 ... LastLast