MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 44 of 132 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 54 94 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

That's cool Stu.
    Another possibility is when the bloke hit it the coin went spinning into oblivion never to be seen again until you found it.

Great work. Keep that shovel a working mate.

Dave

Cheers Dave

I almost chucked it but I tell I stick by my own philosophy to never throw out anything till I confirm it's status/ origins ~

It looked like another nothingness when I first dug it ~ it was not until I brushed it off while having Smoko tat we suddenly realised what it was ~

Had a raft of theories on it's tale .. tall or true ~ but it keeps coming back to the same one ~

From vintage coin to, frikkin awesome-one off a kind relic.....

I'm pretty sure they looked for it after their little trick shot.

I definitely would.

If they threw it away, THAT'S when I start to worry, cause the 'gun man' probably made shots like that on a daily basis, And the novelty wore off and he discarded it !

All in all an "added value" to a vintage coin & in my humble opinion one that makes it a museum quality piece.
    This works for me ~ I am giving one more run in the (low voltage) electrolysis vat ~

Woow ~ What a week ~

Hunts on Monday ~ Tuesday and another recce/ hunt today with my lady ~ Ms M !

Monday it was Terry ~ from Cairns ~ Ed has some family dealings but i was able to go out with Ed aon Tuesday~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

We met up around 08.00 and headed into two sites ~ including one site which we have now written off ~

A sole find on the second find ~ dug to Tiwain for a modern 2 cent coin ( discontinued in the 1990s ? )

but the Weather man had other plans and we were seriously rained out by 13.30 ~

[CENTER]Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Mystery item

My finds for the day ~

Tuesday ~

Very early start ~ up at .4.00 ~ on site 0.6.15 ~ Now site again !

I picked up a (Hat ) Rising Sun real early ~ which broke a hex I have been having regarding the RS's ~

Then I broke another Hex when I finally scored a stamped ID tag ( after digging some 5 blanks !)

We split up and i had a good run except I git bogged down chasing the mythical "China Blue" Glassware in a bottle dump !

But I eventually slowed down and started producing the goods ~ I had a good day on ' Aust Military Forces' (brass) buttons ~ including an Officer's cap button ~

Ed was having a good day with the CTX again ~ ( also about being in the right place, regardless of MD ~ IMO !)

But then I also chased a brilliant target which turned otu to be the Mess Stove top ~ a cast iron stove plate ~

By 13.30 we had enough the total contradiction of humidity and scorching Sun sent us home atad early !

The combined total . Mine at the lower half and Ed's at the top ~

The lower spoon I dug was unusual as it is extremely heavy !

The best of mine at day's end ~ also included another US Army webbing buckle~ But i am wondering now if these buckles are typical of the US Army kit that was being supplied to the Aust forces by 1944 ! (?)

Thursday ~

Several lay days and i got the itch again ~

I figured that I should take my (nature loving partner ) Ms M out fro a run ~ at first she was not fussed but decided it was great op to get out ~

So we headed out for a Recce to a yet another site ~

Took an hour t reach the site and we not even sure if we going to actually be able to access the site but ~ we got there ~

I insisted I be able to MD for an hour which she was more than agreeable to !

The KG VI and the AMF button as dug ~

More promise to come ~

I feel another Hunt coming on tomorrow ~

Having a Vegie day today ~

Just about buggered ~ lOL ~ went out again yesterday ~ 50 minutes drive to the site ~

Spent 4.5 hours on site and pulled out just as the storms started to build ~ AND BOY! did we have thunder storms last night~ Bloody Hell ~ thunder felt like it was on the front yard ! But interestignly never a lot of rain to follow ~

Any way ~ NO RS. NO ~ Coins ~ No AMF buttons ~

But hey I will dig these 20 mmm shell cases all day ~ plus a few webbing buckles and a n intriguing Shrapnel piece ~

Any ideas on the frag ?

Late storms starting up ~

?

Great pics! You certainly have a beautiful nature there
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

Take one of the electrolysis vat ~

Finally take on the 22 mm shell ~

Huge day Tuesday ~ two of us ~ FIVE sites in one day ~

Two total fail ~ third positive but hard worked over as it backs onto a public road ~

Under the watch of locals .. I guess shot this photo as they were quite some distance and I zoomed to max and snapped away ~

A pair of classic Australian Wedge tail eagles.. Beautiful ~

The other two much more positive including old favourite ~ so lots of moving around ~ but I scored a few pieces ~

Intriguing failed trench art penny .. maybe he should have just used it for target practice like the previous one I dug ~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Intriguing that the beat up penny KG V 1926 ~ as opposed to the shot target penny of last week, a KG V 1923 ~

Well it is High Summer now and the Wet season is ~ well supposed to be in full tilt!

But despite the frequent thunder storms there is not a lot of volume to the rain~

When the storm clouds recede the days are extremely hot under high humidity in true Wet tropics fashion ~ So yesterday I headed out froa solo hunt in old grounds ~

A pleasant SSE breeze kept things pleasant and the ground being damp made for a pleasant experience up till around 13.00

Lots of targets and quality signals ~ but a lot of detritus ~ including many 303 blank cartridges and shell casings ~ a few good finds including mystery objects ~ more Primer flash tubes ~ and another ~ a third KG V
    which has been "tampered with"~ be it shot or a failed attempt at Trench art / ring~

I also dug up this length of strapping. It was quandary at first as it is synthetic material with an original brass eyelet ~ typical of those that drive us detectorists insane on Military sites ~

That is until I recalled that such fabric did appear long before WWII~

“During the War, nylon replaced Asian silk in parachutes.

It also found use in tires, tents, ropes, ponchos, and other military supplies, and even was used in the production of a high-grade paper for U.S. currency. At the outset of the War, cotton was king of fibers, accounting for more than 80% of all fibers used.

Manufactured and wool fibers shared the remaining 20%. By the end of the War in August 1945, cotton stood at 75% of the fiber market. Manufactured fibers had risen to 15%.”
    Not a bad day Hunt ~

Nice to actually find a ACP shell case that is not rotted which is so typical around these parts ~ in fact most US shells cases tend to rot much more easier that the Australian products ~

Page 44 of 132 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 54 94 ... LastLast