Page 46 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Have tried twice now to locate a Tank Attack unit site.

Once we put the Garmin plot onto Google Earth we are SO close but the rain forest is incredibly dense ~ the hills so steep ~ and worst of all ~ it will only take one more serious rain and the only road access WILL be lost forever!

In fact the road which was upgraded in the 1990s for the Movie ~ "Escape from Absolam" but it will be lost !

And the local authority will never repair the damage as the gouging is SEVERE ~ and the drop below is scary ~ Like something out of a Hollywood movie in fact !

So not looking good ~

?

I really had no idea they filmed so many movies in FNQ..it was really only after the pacific I started hearing about so many others...never heard about escape from absolom though

I really had no idea they filmed so many movies in FNQ..it was really only after the pacific I started hearing about so many others...never heard about escape from absolom though
    Hey Sean

Did you know they also did most of the "Thin Red Line" ~

Actually on the Tablelands as we watched it we recognized a lot of the scenes ~ especially the early scenes when the Marines were assaulting the hill top with the pill box and trenches ~

Also where (Woody Harrelson ) supposedly blew his butt off with a hand grenade.

But we laughed when they were in action and we could see the cow tracks zig-zagging down the hills ~

The Thin Red Line - Trailer - (1998) - HQ - YouTube

As typical the details were not completely accurate as Higgins boats were not used at Guadalcanal to my Knowledge ~

They did the same in Pacific ~ Never had Buffalo landing craft at Guadalcanal ~

But I do wonder if they screened the Rat Tail grass seen in the clip above ~ after all they are real source of snakes, ticks and numerous bugs ~

And that grass is as the name suggests ~ it is coarse and very abrasive ~

Here I took this photo last weekend just to verify we had reached the exact same spot for the opposite direction ~ Note the Rat Tail grass ~ at least 2 metres high ~ and extremley prolific . This area would have been ideal for jungle warfare training ~

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fossick #181 Recce II  7 Febr 15 (2) [1024x768].JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	813418

This is the actual track we transversed ~ no snakes or bugs seen ~ but heaps of March flies .. nasty little ^%^&&

Name:	Fossick #178 Febr 18 The  Recce  (24).JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	813419

Another feature is Brampton Beach due east of us at home ~ this was beach area used in a number war movies including "The Thin Red Line" !

Ironically it was also the beach zone used by the Aust forces in training for landing training ~ they landed there for some 2-3 days and some 20 soldiers fell foul of tropical diseases!

Search | Australian War Memorial

Been extremely quiet of late as two of us do ground research which has consumed 99% of our time !

Had a total fail endeavouring to find a Tank attack unit ~ only succeeded is losing several value pieces of kit in the bush ~

Managed to find a pick in the same bush against all the odds ~ On hill we ~ well I have scanned on foot EIGHT times ~ in ten days ~ Plus had to buy a chain saw to clear access along bush roads ! * Had a ball with the chainsaw though ! )

Name:	The Cahin saw .JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	823578

This is called "Wait-a While" ~ looks innocuous ? Haas long strands of barbed tendicles which grab hold of pass-bys ~ We resort to carrying barden shears ! It is Prolific ~ and grows to HUGE stature~ Fortunately no Stinging tress though ~

Name:	The Hunt  S&M + Chain Saw  27 3 15 (1) ].JPG 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	823577

Name:	The Hunt  S&M + Chain Saw  27 3 15 (1) ].JPG 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	823577

Name:	Fossick #182 the 3 rd Recce  23 March   (17).JPG 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	823576

Well ~ it was a Jungle warfare training area ~

Name:	Search for the GPS and Pick 29 March 15 (7).JPG 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	823575

Ironically on two recess I found two separate AMF Buttons and little else ~ just enough to make the Hunts enticing ~

Name:	Search for the GPS and Pick 29 March 15 (21).JPG 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	823574

Name:	March 29 Final search for the GPS  (6) [1024x768].JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	823573

Name:	March 29 Final search for the GPS  (4) [1024x768].JPG 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	823572

Some of the Webbly .445 shells and friends I have tidied up !

Name:	DSCN2917 [1024x768].JPG 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	823579

My / our latest Video ~

https://youtu.be/4kn9K5L0OB4

Weeelll~ been a while ~ LOL

Lets just put it down to months of putting together the video Ms M and I put together ~

Highlights ~

Lots of wets and high waters ~

To many humiliation ~ and I am now waiting for my 'new' CTX 3030 to arrive ~ Not that the ATP has let me down ~ but when a punter starts MD exactly the same time as myself in one of my favourite 'holes' that I have been working successfully for over two years ~ and when I get a AUST Badge, a couple of pennies, a 3d and a misc collection of oddments ~

And "John" reaches into his top shirt pocket and pulls out FOUR rising Suns, Aust badges , webbing buckles, silvers and 1/2 pennies and pennies ~ WHAT do you reckons.

Mate Ed has been bashing me for months but I keep brushing it off to just good timing. positioning and luck ~ I gave up~

So bought a CTX in the box from a WA Gold mining couple ~ "Torch" was glad to help out in the transaction .. but the local dealers that sold the MD stepped up to the mark ~ Thanks Sean anyway ~

Bugger ~ Now I have to buy a new cap as well~

Good Vid mate, we've been rained in all week down here.

Good Vid mate, we've been rained in all week down here.
    Hamish ~ Yeah I heard things are under water yet again.. My cousin the retired walloper at Bundeberg reckons MD is out of favour at the monent ~

Take it easy Dude ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been watching a S^&%^&% load of CTX Videos and the Minelab make my head hurt ! Where as a Pommy 'Gary's farage "~ his videos are excellent ~ I think is excellent ~ not bad for a Pommy !!

Worst though is the fact I lost my Garmin 20 when we were searching for a WWII camp site on mountain and even after 11 scours of the jungle .. no find-eh ~ But I have replaced it with another Garmin 20 ~NOW the CTX has it's own GPS and as I see it ~ it is superior to the G20 !

But last week before I got crook ~ the ATP showed what it can do when it came up with a HG V 1921 on it's edge at least 48 c m down in dry to damp soil `

But we did eventually find the camp site ~PURELY by observation and NOT any references ~ and some 5 kilometres from the supposed site ~

Plus this last week I have returned TWO separate dog tags ~ both from Sydney ~ Both were spotted perusing the web site lsitings where I had them listed ~

I have since suggested that "Medals gone Missing.com" start a list which we can add to for people to look thgrough ! I think I will suggest the same to the AWM ~

Ed dug a couple of ID tags ~ both were officers ~ both 22 years old ~

The first won a Military Cross in Palestine against the French ~ his unit came under fire and was threatened with encirclement ~ So he grabbed a motorcycle to reach his men.

This was shot out from under him ~ He then managed to reach his men still under fire ~

They then rallied the anti-tank guns to dispose of three of five Vichy tanks before the remaining two retreated ~

As their vehicles were too badly damaged~ so they disarmed their guns and he then lead his men through the French lines in darkness to safety ~

These blokes had real big balls ~

The second a Lieutenant ~ I did not find but I did find a picture a nursing sister posing with a Digger ~ They were brother and sister ~

Seems she was posted to Toowoomba down south before being transfered to Rocky Creek near Atherton. She married the lieutenant in question in 1945 ~

Saturday decided to do a first hunt with only the Minelab CTX 3030.

I was not overly optimistic but it turned into good day overall ~

Part two of my plan was to visit original site where ~ I spent a lot of time some 20 months ago ~ even a Sunday with Paul and Paul co armed with their Garrets ~ and where I found my first Grenade find ~

So I figured it would be a great test bed for the CTX as I have worked the area pretty hard ~ (Never been a site for coins though, which is interesting ~ and never seen a badge of any description which tells me the site was a training/ practice firing range with a lot of expended 303 and even safety caps off mortar rounds ~ )

The ground is extremely stone and hard ~ but the first relic from the CTX ~

Name:	Fossick #188 May 9 CTX first day out  (1) .JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	837539

I then worked into the trash area which I have attributed as post WWII and a dump area for the post war dam construction ~ but boy how wrong~ I have been ~

In fact I found the remnants of the OLDEST beer bottle to date and exactly what those INFAMOUS D/|\D bungs were for ! Water drums ~ the printing in the drum says ~ ‘Drinking water only”

Name:	Fossick #188 May 9 CTX first day out  (9) .JPG 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	837540

Name:	Fossick #188 May 9 CTX first day out  (3) .JPG 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	837545

( For the unknowing.. we find dozens of these alloy ‘water drum’ bungs.. rings up HUGE signals and drive us insane ~ )

So called it a day around 16.15 ~

Not a bad start for the new CTX.. learnt heaps~ razor ends, a razor handle, misc. buckles, button studs, barrel weights ~ Certainly not a bad day ~ for the first time out in a well worn site~

May even have another bash tomorrow in fact ! Certainly a potential site if one is prepared to, or looking for a scratch around and looking for a WWII dump site overall ~

Name:	Fossick #188 May 9 CTX first day out  (14) .JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	837551

Well I decided I would go out again today and have another bash as it were

Started out pretty slow and the CTX just chatters incessantly ~ I dug a few oddments ~ Shave crème tube ~ a brake union ~ and some junk ~ the only highlight was a LE 303 sight adjuster ~

Perfect weather in fact the southerly breeze was pretty sharp ~

By 15.00 I was getting a tad frustrated despite my best endeavours to stay positive ~

So I headed yet again over extremely well worked hill / slope ~

In an experiment I switched to the ‘Silver’ mode ~ instantly most the chatter ceased. In fact I got a strange signal ~ so I dug it ~ WELL WOW WOW!!

Complete with cardboard and print ~

Name:	Fossick#189 .380 hoard  May 10  (7).JPG 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	837627

Name:	Fossick#189 .380 hoard  May 10  (8).JPG 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	837629

Name:	Fossick#189 .380 hoard  May 10  (9).JPG 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	837630

Name:	Fossick#189 .380 hoard  May 10  (10).JPG 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	837631

I though Ms M would be aghast but she was as impressed as I am .. Not to mention team member Terry ~

Name:	Fossick#189 .380 hoard  May 10  (16).JPG 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	837632

Name:	Fossick #189 May 10  .380 cache (2).JPG 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	837633

Name:	Webley_Military_Mark_IV_1793.jpg 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	837636

Name:	Fossick#189 .380 hoard  May 10  (17).JPG 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	837634

Name:	Fossick#189 .380 hoard  May 10  (18).JPG 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	837635

Intriguing button looks like it has writing or symbols on it ~

Dare I say a souvenir dropped by a Digger ? Be very cool if turned out to be German ~ or even Japanese ~

I also found a strip of aluminum with a colour design on the flip side and scribed on the face. ‘Foster’ and a serial number

I will check it out~