Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 132 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Default Re: Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

I was going to post this in the Australian medallions post but I guess they are more typical of the Commonwealth forces but I just luv the Webbing buckles and I am never disappointed when I dig up these puppies.

The variety is amazing ~ and some, I have no idea where some are used ~ The small one with the pivotting hinge is intriguing ~ Found yesterday ~ paled by the hand grenade ~

Very Cool ~

32 and growing ~

My current standing in Webbing buckles ~ ( I luv them ! Very cool~ )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery   Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery  

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 07-19-2017 at 06:17 AM.

Your No 36m appears to be without a base plug. This could mean that it is just an empty shell and therefore safe, or just missing the base plug and fuze yet still full of explosive, and not safe. If it was me, I would gently remove the sand from the base plug area to see if the fuze/striker column is intact, or if it is indeed just an empty shell. If it's empty, take it home and clean it up ! If the fuze/striker column is intact, the army need to sort it.

Thanks for the feedback, Steve ~

I figured much the same, and actually did ( cautiously) scrape the soil with my finger before I reburied it. I have marked the site ~ ( Left the phone in the car ~ again ~ so did not GPS mark the site . But this is not a problem.)

The overall camp and training site is huge and I think it has not been worked over very hard, if at all ` as I had quite a lot of "hits" and the timber regrowth is also indicative of a very large camp site ~

So with that in mind we are planning return trips . Hopefully to find more significant finds ~

( My new MD fossicking partner expressed a desire to venture into the gully beyond the firing line ~ but UXB ordenance is not part of my relic resume !! ~ but maybe just inert hand grenade shell/s are some thing else ! )

Cheers
    Stuart

In amongst the live ordnance could well be some very nice drill stuff. Worth a look in my opinion, just dig carefully ! Start 6 inches behind where the detection starts, dig down 8-12inches, then move forward towards the signal. In this way, you won't accidentally clonk a mortar or similar object

Steve

I normally ~ 99.9 % of the time, I drag my (Garrett) pick and or scrape ~ So a valuable reminder herein !!

But shows what could happen in one mindless moment @/@

I have a further question regarding the grenade.

The explosive core ~ what is the material ~ Some one at work suggested Cordite ~

And the issue is that Cordite does NOT "go away' ~ unlike pistol or even ACP rounds which I believe tend to deteriorate over time ~ ( in this case <70 years> )

I am not overly mad keen to trophy a Mills Grenade ~ but given it was disarmed ~ no Fuze ~ is the core material still viable or potentially hazardous ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While I appreciate my enthusiasm does not really compare to some of the spectacular relics sourced by some of the European or eastern block collectors ~ or yourself ~ here in Australia the odds of us finding anything close to these is VERY slim ~ I just thoroughly enjoy the brass webbing buckles ~ and of course the Rising Suns and the shoulder "Australia badges" and insignia!

So I will take your advice on board and I am totally confident that this site ~ on the Northern side of the road will in deed deliver positive results ~

By example the large stone ware jug piece I have been advised was a typical water filtration and containment jug used by the AIF forces ~

Regards
    Stuart SS

Done some home work ~ so correect me if I am ill advised via Google ~

The core explosive compound of the Mills Bomb was/is "Baratol"

Baratol
    Baratol is a composition of barium nitrate and TNT. TNT is typically 25-33% of the mixture with 1% wax as a binder. The high density of barium nitrate gives baratol a density of at least 2.5.
    Explosives - Compounds

Thursday

I have five days off the tread mill of Working ~

So yesteray I figured I would do a run to the Black Gully site again and the 2/32 batt site as I was aware of a "tent site" which seemingly was a logistics/ store ~ or repair shop ~ Here I have found boot caps, coins , buckles and assoc. misc ~

2/32nd Battalion | Australian War Memorial

I left a tad late around 14,45hrs and arrived 15.05 ~a very quick run ~

I worked two square metre ~ a LOT of chatter and noise ~

But produced the following ~

The catch of the day was the Tunic button ~ Australian Military Forces ~

Glad I have already scored two Rising Suns as it would be heart breaking to have otherwise been searching for a first one , and found the one listed below instead ~ as it seems a Digger has cut a RS into three pieces in endavour to make Trench art out of it ~

This as the middel section only ~ very sad !

But another 'new' style of webbing buckle ~ I could dig these puppies ALL day ~ I just luv them ~ weird eh !LOL

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

(These hardly compare with some of the buckles and badges that blokes on this site find in Europe and the eastern front and the Baltics ~

But the odds of us finding even one of "theirs" in Australia is probably Zip!!!! Although last month I think , one of the members on Kimbucktwo site did take coin of the Month award for a single Nazi period Krona coin found in Victoria! But that is of course a very rare event )

Perfect day ~ so I can feel another outing coming on~ Despite the fact I have %^$^&$ loads to do at home ~

But hey ! Its a mini holiday ~ and what are Holls for ~ minimumal work and lots of play and beer drinking ! Right ! RIGHT!??
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 02-17-2018 at 02:54 AM.

Friday

Went Bush again and had a look at the Mills Bomb but left intact ~

I hit a dump spot of about 2 sq m ~ and settled into the spot hoping to find some insignia as there was heaps of smalls ~

But not to be ~ But straight up ~ Can anyone tell me what this cocking bolt knob come from ?? ~ I looked at the Bren and the Owen ~ And I don't think the Thompson has such a large finger grab ~ but then what would I know !

Or is not even related to a firearm ~ but sure looks like it to me ~

You know you have to be careful what you say ~ I said something about digging webbing buckles all day ~

And there are those copper T pieces again ~ dug about 7 of them now ~ any ideas ????????

Hopefully back tomorrow ~ or Sunday ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 02-17-2018 at 02:58 AM.

Just doing some research and the Thompson SMG looks the closest to date and the AIF did have the Thompson until the Own appeared ~

Your "funny" buckle is a Helmet chinstrap buckle, the U shaped pieces of copper are lanyard attachments off clasp knives. The cocking piece looks like a terminal nut from a blasting box but not 100 percent on that one. Keep the finds coming in!
    Cheers
    Hangarman

Page 5 of 132 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast