Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 56 of 132 FirstFirst ... 6 46 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 66 106 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Bakelite oiler could be for any number of weapons like SMGs, MGs, pistols etc-was a standard item (although originally for the rifle). It was introduced during WW2 to replace the brass version that was heavier and used a more valuable material for manufacture. The Bakelite version was also used post war for more modern types of weapons like the SLR, F1 SMG etc.

Cheers for the feedback there 'Lithgow' ~

Of course if I stopped and thought about it I would have realised this fact regarding the OIler myself.. but have been focused on the entire package as several items have been further identified ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

The wing nut I am informed is a part of .50cal Browning ammo case. The brass strip piece is part of a Vickers MG feed !

No feedback on the stripper clips (??)

FYI ~ the ammo case wing nuts

I have read from the beginning. I must commend you, Sir, on your excavations. I can only imagine the excitement of not knowing what may be found on a given day. Keep it up and keep us informed. nice work

I have read from the beginning. I must commend you, Sir, on your excavations. I can only imagine the excitement of not knowing what may be found on a given day. Keep it up and keep us informed. nice work
    My pleasure mate ~ And I mean that literally ~

In areas that are historically relevant to Australian WWII the finds seem to just keep coming~ but obviously there is a lot of research and fortunately not a lot of fails !

Very rare for me to come home empty handed !

Hunt #229 ~

Solo Hunt ~ decided to just do a mid week hunton a very old well worked site ~ same as the site as Nov 14 ~

Been a bit of rain of late but it is into our Wet season now so to be expected ~ there is a degree of debate as to whether the rain actually enhances detection~ but seems to work for me anyway~

I worked my way the exact same stretch that I did so well in several weeks back but blow me down nothing but alot of expended 303 shell cases and a lot of metal rubbish! (?)

After smoko ~ I worked on and even further and again things worked out for me ~

I was only saying I have not seen a lot of AUSTRALIA shoulder flashes of late ~ well made up ground ~

Thought I was on a winner but this was only the beginning ~

Obviously found a tent site as the 3 Sq-metres just kept giving ~

Turned into a good afternoon ~

The 'T' piece is a failed trench art piece ~ seems the Digger started and lost interest IMO ~ art work headed to nowhere (?)

Just luv those old Beer bottles ~

CORPORAL J. F. ARMSTRONG, 2 1 PIONEER BATTALION, (LEFT) INDICATING POSITIONS TO BE ATTACKED BY FLAMETHROWER OPERATOR PRIVATE R. J. CORDIN,

The previous find ~ weird Trench art or just a pickle onion jab!?

Another hunt. (Saturday) ~ On site around 09.30 ~ another lazy start~

Again very pleasant for early Summer ~ but high UV and temperature as the day wore on only releived by a shifting breeze which was a pleasant escape ~

Early I dug a single LE 303 Barrel drop weight which vied well for the supposed camp site ~

Dwayne again struck early with several Sunbaker .50 cal shell cases ~

The finds soon came at a steady pace and certainly variety to say the least !

I dug a modern blank. 7 mm. These I believe to be a 1967 production from Israel ~ Then there was a major military exercise in the area around 1969 ~

Betting the 20 cent coin (1967) was dropped by one of the troops involved!

The Crucifix was an intriguing find ~ and someone kindly posted a related link on Dwayne's Face book!

National Museums of Scotland - Crucifix and cross, attached to identity tag of Sergeant Joseph Kerr

But in the end a productive day form both team players ~

Dwayne's collection ~

My gathering...............

General Service Button UK ~ Further evidence of British troops also present in the camp/s (?) ~ (Unissued example for comparison.)

Luv these old beer bottles ~ " The property of Richmond Brewing NS "

KAIRI, QUEENSLAND. 1945-03-10. MAJOR GENERAL E.J. MILFORD, GENERAL OFFICER COMMANDING 7 DIVISION, (1), ACCOMPANIED BY LIEUTENANT COLONEL P.E. RHODEN, (2), INSPECTS C COMPANY, 2/14 INFANTRY BATTALION TROOPS DURING A REVIEW OF 21 INFANTRY BRIGADE

Saturday ~

Up early ~ well a "Lazy Early " @ <06.30 hrs> ! The skies looked really ominous ~ typical of what has appeared each day for almost a week now ~ and now ~ the forecast is for a potential first Wet season Cyclone or at very least a monsoon low for Xmas period ~

But anyway as I had finally made a meet up with good mate Terry it wa "game on" !

We met up at 08.30 ~ transferred his kit t the new 'wheels' and headed off ~

Weather was still " iffy" at best, but we plugged on, in an old favorite site ~ once again a mixed bag of units typical of the camps locally ~

when we rigged up I wandered the 3 metres back to the "wheels" and to my utter surprise ~ I foudn signals right next the vehicle ~

In short it took me over 1 1/2 hours to clear the area ~ ranged from buckles to coins ~ a lot of .30 US shell cases even down to toothpaste tubes ~ Obviously a tent site !!

We managed a few hours before the skies opened up and poured on us as we moved sites ~

But when we moved onto the second site we were aghast to find some Cretin had been there recently ~ and had left a large number of holes ~

Wanker ~ bringing the MD and archaeology trade down in credibility ~ BUT ~ some poor justice as the Idiot had no degree of notable skills and i actually found some moderate relics right on his track as he had dragged his shovel behind him leaving an drag mark on some ground ~

We called it a day around 15.00hrs ~ but not before we again were rained on ~

No outstanding finds ~ although did find some cool small items ~

The overall tally ~ the extreme left items were itsm Tery felt he had no shelf space for ~ He likes to have two of everything and the rest now goes to Stuart!

Those include two AMF buttons ~ the top one is in very nice shape and not damaged ~

Several very tidy King George V pennies revealed them selves ~

These items it would seem are part of a SMLE Aperture sighting !!

Lee-Enfield Rifle No.2 Mk.IV* and .22RF No.1 Mk.III

Puts a whole new credence on the 'shot KG V Penny I found earlier this year ~

The boot cleat is totally worn out.. seems this Digger did a LOT miles by foot ~ betting it walked Norht Africa/ Tobruk and Palestine ~

1941-01-23. TOBRUK - AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY DESCENDING UPON TOBRUK.

Yes another beer bottle variant

Northern Brewing Company

A river bank find ~ an amazing clear signal ~ dug < 30 cm hole > ~ for a Shower Rose !!

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 12-24-2015 at 05:32 AM.

Good show!-can't think what weapon a 7mm blank would be for-was a common calibre for old export Mauser rifles but was obsolete by the mid 60s in our region.
    Also doesn't take all that long to wear out a pair of boots if you're active and wearing them all the time-one of the AIF divisions was marched across from Perth to Sydney as an exercise!

Lithgow

A much more knowledgeable character who has worked this area for some 30 years, ( Our professional De-miner) , told me that these blanks were ( by head stamp) were made in Israel in 1967!

And the Australian Military did a major exercise in <1969> ~ which also explains some of the .30 blank cartridge shells I have dug in the area ~ these particular cases were made in 1969 ( via Headstamp again ) ??

I did wonder which wore out first ~ the cleat or the boots ~ LOL
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 12-22-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Page 56 of 132 FirstFirst ... 6 46 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 66 106 ... LastLast