Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 59 of 132 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Sunday ~

Very early rise ~ 05.00 hrs planned to be out on the site by 06.30 ~

A; beat the Heat ~
    B; Beat the PM storms
    C; Missed Saturday and I had to work midnight Sunday ~ So planned to be home again by 13.00 hrs!

All good plans went slightly pear shaped ~ and delayed talking to the better half ~ On site 07.30 ~ Probably for the best as it was a Pea souper fog early !

I opted for a well worn area and lunged into the brush ~ to my utter horror ~ The March flies are in plague numbers! ~

The Diggers and even colonials of the 19th Century MUSt have been utterly devastated by these insidious creatures ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Major General E J Milford, General Officer Commanding 7 Division (6), inspecting 2/4 Field Regiment troops at the Kairi Sports Ground.

Identified: VX14125 Major Hugh St Omer Dentry, Brigade Major Royal Artillery (1); Lieutenant Lyall, Aide de camp, General Officer Commanding (2); Lieutenant Colonel Blythe, Commanding Officer 2/4 (3);

Captain Hume, Battery Commander, B Battery (4);

Brigadier O'Brien, Commander Royal Artillery, 7 Division (5);

Major General Milford (6); Gunner H Pfeffer, 8 Battery (7); Lance Bombardier K Goodnew, 8 Battery (8); Gnr R Francis, 8 Battery (9); Bdr F Minchin, 8 Battery (10); VX14468 Sergeant Ray Edward Harle, 8 Battery (11); Sgt N Radcliffe, 8 Battery (12).

I had 'Bushman's 40% Deet spray ' on and they simply ignored it ~ But fortunately I was well covered and the little Barstards essentially landed but ''cleared off ' very quickly ~

My luck was rewarded though the very first strong signal revealed a Superb 1943 Florin ~

Inspired I kept on ~ despiet the March Flies ~ and these are 'Yellow' versions and infamous for the wrong reasons. In fact the sods hammered my right hand first finger which is the gripping hand on the Minelab ~

And hammer they did. I even saturated the gloves with DEET but the were not deterred ~ almost like they could smell blood!

( End of the day I had some 11 bites on the same finger and back of my right hand ~ but no where else !!! ??)

I managed a few scores ~ including an Officer's razor ~ i.e. Much more ornate handle ~

The large iron piece is a door lock and the brass key broken off in the lock assembly!

1943 Florin KG VI

1942 Six pence KG VI

1943 1 /2 penny KG VI

I plugged on as planned and the storms started to build ~ then called it a day ~ I was home 12.45 !

But the bites made a Hell of a mess of my right hand ~ and only today Tuesday are they receding any ~ Several bites on my lower legsare very nasty and are more insidious ~ as huge welts ~

But I will survive ~ The Diggers suffered these things in tents with no AC or relief ~

KAIRI, QUEENSLAND. 1945-02-13. "LAUGHING WATER", A 25 PDR GUN BEING MAINTAINED BY 8 BATTERY, 2/4 FIELD REGIMENT TROOPS DURING THE VISIT BY THE DUKE OF GLOUCESTER, GOVERNOR GENERAL OF AUSTRALIA TO TO ROYAL AUSTARLIAN ARTILLERY UNITS IN THE 7 DIVISION AREA. IDENTIFIED PERSONNEL ARE:- GUNNER M. GEBBIE, (1); STAFF SERGEANT MCKEOWN, (2); SERGEANT HARLE, (3); GUNNER HART, (4); CRAFTSMAN HEANE, (5); LIEUTENANT W.H. JONES, (6).

?

Sounds like those flies are attracted to movement; the lower legs and master hand doing the most movement. And they were biting through gloves??

Nice silvers!

Oz.

Ubique

Yes ~ they were biting through the gloves ~ Work 'nylecs' gloves ~ but only the MD grasping hand which is stationary ~ As best i can research they are attracted to Blue i.e. my hat ~ but no bites on the face or neck !!

I will adapt a thicker garden soft glove for the Summer till March Flies dissipate ~

No bites on the left hand ~ I think the bites on the lower legs were when I called it quits and removed my boots sock and gaiters whiel having a final cuppa ~

The Florins generally are excellent being high silver content ~

( But I chuckle over the Florins as they were worth 24 P ? A middy / beer was 4 p (?) ~ I mean that's a night out for me ! (Maybe !! LOL)

2 shillings was also the daily part of a private's pay that was deferred till demobilisation...

Well Two hunts this week ~ both involved checking out two potential new sites and extended areas ~

The first was an extended area associated with one of our recognised sites ~ The difference being that we came in from the North and explored the area working SSE and back onto the original now well know areas~

This in deed did reveal more extended camp site presence ~ This took a few hours trekking the high ground and ridges ~

This was the first terraced site, high on the ridge line I was tracking ~ Tidy lot though these blokes ~ not trasures were to be had !

It was the return trek to base camp that became the labour of dedication as I can now offer cheaper substitutes for the Kokoda track ~ as i endeavoured to reconnoiter the country back the vehicle~

Up ridges down deep ravines ~ dense bush and obstacles ~

I know how these blocks felt by the time I got "home" ~

TROOPS OF THE 11TH BATTERY, 2/3RD AUSTRALIAN TANK ATTACK REGIMENT AND THE 2/6TH AUSTRALIAN FIELD REGIMENT MANHANDLING A 57MM GUN INTO POSITION.

( SHOWN ARE: NX66317 GUNNER L. M. SMITH OF INVERELL, NSW, 2/3RD AUSTRALIAN TANK ATTACK REGIMENT (1); VX17693 BOMBARDIER T. F. CALLANDER OF NORTHCOTE, VIC, 2/3RD AUSTRALIAN TANK ATTACK REGIMENT (2); NX43629 GUNNER L. J. BARTON OF SYDNEY, NSW, 2/3RD AUSTRALIAN TANK ATTACK REGIMENT (3); NX54084 BOMBARDIER S. G. EDENVOROUGH OF SYDNEY, NSW, 2/6TH AUSTRALIAN FIELD REGIMENT (4); NX55201 GUNNER J. H. MCCALLUM OF SYDNEY, NSW, 2/6TH AUSTRALIAN FIELD REGIMENT (5); VX18845 SERGEANT J. W. PHILP, 2/3RD AUSTRALIAN TANK ATTACK REGIMENT (6).)

After a Smoko we headed across the creek to another area which we know was a south side area of another camp site ~ but apart from a modern fiberglass radio aerial. a mortar primer rag and some spent 303 cases there was nothing ~ Oh and a very misplaced modern empty 'stubby' beer bottle !

We then moved to the nearby camp site for a hunt before calling it a day ~ The March flies were not intense ~ but I Still got bitten on the second joint of my left thumb in a moment when driving to the second area ~ resulting in a very irritated & painful few days ~

Dwayne and I put in an hour or so before heading home to beat the storms ~ which in fact developed within 30 minutes of my unloading and putting the last of my gear away ~

Slow day on the Relics front and totally exhausting ~

Has a Bakelite centerpiece ~ knurling on the outer rim and inner threads ~

My Dad was 2/3 Anti Tank 1940-46. 'Tank Attack Regt' sounds more proactive (in the modern vernacular) but it's not as though they were pushing the guns around chasing after the tanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery  

My Dad was 2/3 Anti Tank 1940-46. 'Tank Attack Regt' sounds more proactive (in the modern vernacular) but it's not as though they were pushing the guns around chasing after the tanks!
    Thanks for the input ~ Mate ~

I chuckle too when the phrase "Tank Attack" is used.. certainly would seem almost an Oxymoron ~ Closest Obviously to that would be "lay in wait-ambush "~

The only application I am aware of in the South Pacific campaign was in 1942 when the US forces on Guadalcanal set up their 37 mm anti-tank guns in wait for Japanese tanks which they correctly anticipated would come along the beach to attack Henderson Field.

Obviously the Japanese paid dearly for such a passage of tanks !

And in Malaya up against the Aust 2 pounders !

Actually I think the Australians hammered the Japanese tanks elsewhere too ~ You probably know that history better me ! (?)

As for the photo above ~ I did not know the Australians were even equipped with 57 mm guns? But there it is once again ~ title confusion ~ the 57 mm is/ was defined by the Commonwealth forces as a 6 lber!

The A/T job was a minor role in the Pacific compared to the Desert and Japanese tanks were vulnerable to someone armed with a stout can opener up to the end of the war-Japanese A/T was similarly well behind best practice which was why the M3 Lee/Grant, M3 Stuart and Matilda II were still in our line up in late 1945-they could still do the job-the A/T troops were re equipped with the 4.2 " heavy mortars or used as infantry as manpower was in short supply by 1945...

There was a documentary via History channel which was quite the education for me, answering some questions for me ~ i.e. ~ what did they do with a lot of the tanks as they were superceded ? ~

The documentary followed the travels of the Grants when they were transferred to Burma ~ as they had the big gun ~ they were a fantastic artillery platform, and could be readily moved to required positions relatively quickly as opposed to actual guns ~ which added the dilemma of the japanese !

Decided after a late rise ~to do a solo hunt ~ around 09.30 ~ ( Well I am on leave for a few weeks ~ )

But I am well set up now and can be loaded and gone around 20 minutes ~

Worked two sites ~ and put in a very pleasant few hours.. Perfect weather ~ light breeze and no storms ~

Plan evolved as I approached the area ~

I have not seen of the unusual webbing buckles ~ with 'flip' bracket ~ I assume is a Post 1944 USA supplied item ~

Intriguing find was a Aust. CSIRO wildlife identity band ~

I finally called it day around 14.00 hrs and on the way home I decided to do a walk around at a local recreational area ~ As soon as i started alocal whom I have talked with previously turned up and we kept our selves entertained chewing the fat and sharing tall stories for two hours ~

Interestingly apart from the numerous pull rings tabs and beer bottle caps ~ I dug a WWII type belt buckle!

A great casual relaxed day hunt in perfect weather ~ a Great day !

Blank Dog tag ~

one "Familiar?" hex bung + jack knife clasp

Australian CSIRO Wild life identity (leg) tag ~ addressed and ref code ~

Stock brass pants button

AUST $2

KG V 3d 1918 (Immaculate)

Knife handle ~

Match box toy ~

Booby trap trigger ( large road transport - trigger) case only

Typical tent layout of camp site ~ ( So much for the comment that the tents were 20 Meters apart !?? )

PERSONNEL OF NO. 2 PLATOON, "A" COMPANY, 2/5TH INFANTRY BATTALION PROUDLY POSE IN FRONT OF THEIR IMMACULATELY KEPT TENT LINE. IDENTIFIED IS:- NX86211 PRIVATE D. EVANS, HEADQUARTERS COMPANY (1).

Page 59 of 132 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast