Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 60 of 132 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

The buckle you had not seen before is British. I have them described in period documentation (from Jeep modifications drawings) as "quick release buckles".

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I am a huge fan of Neil Oliver and always enjoy all his documentaries ~ and this latest one is another ripper ~ even if it is a tad pathetic story of War and reality ~

The story of the Machine gun and the effect it had one Scottish Skye village ~

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video...nd-of-brothers

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video...nd-of-brothers

( I am sure it could be sourced outside of Australian as well, being UK documentary ~ )

Has been shown on SBS a couple of times now (as most of their docos are)-last time a few weeks ago.

been shown on SBS a couple of times now
    And like a lot of folks I missed the original viewing/s ~ so SBS 'On Demand' is a great asset and in this instance there is still some 18 days left to view online !

I believe that Tony Robertson's WWII is being screened on ABC this Thursday ~ and if I miss it~ I can catch it on IView ~

And then as most know these things also have habit of appearing on U-Tube ~ eventually ~

In fact I have often found after much fanfare over a 'new' program, on say ~ "Discovery channel" ~ one can flip to U-Tube and it is already there ~ for example the "Wehrmacht" series which was already available to view there!

I believe that Tony Robertson's WWII is being screened on ABC this Thursday ~ and if I miss it~ I can catch it on IView ~
    Opps! A bum steer right off the cuff.. wrong channel but I tracked it down to SBS and available 28 days on "SBS On demand"

Some interesting discussions regarding the use of 3D photography.

Currenlty a return of the Stifling high temps and extreme himdiity ~

The midday Sun even for here is cruel~ and it is a hardy Soul that ventures into the full blast of the Sun~ the extreme of Mad Dogs and Englishmen echoes loud and clear !

But Hey this is Australia ~ and after all ti will toughen up the MoJo ~

Wednesday ~ Terry got a day pass from Home and Cairns fo rthe day ~

We agreed to we would simply go back to basics and my original MD hunt days ~ a simple straight forward and well hunted area as we wanted to prove that even the most public area still has potential ~

Most notable were the camp sites 2/31st and 2/7th plus being public access and recreation & leisure area ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

We spent an hour scratching the area ~ I folded after an and camped for a break and a cuppa ~

We then pressed onto the area which a local celebrity on the Net claims is his "Special Permission" area ~ ignoring the fact that I dug a case of 16 * 2" mortars three years ago!!

I figured Terry had dug a ripper original Zippo~ lighter. and genuine it is ~

But somewhat of an anti-climax ~ but still an original item ~

I picked up a very nice AMF button which proved to be still wearing it's original Black enamel ~ rare event ~ only the secodn on I have found ~

My early results ~ I misplaced a very nice key which I found !

The large round piece an element from a old Kero pressure pump stove. Spond very old most likely WWII ~

We took Smoko and then moved to another site nearby ~ also well worn and also my very first site I started in over 3 years ago!

And again we met with some success ~

Terry generally likes to keep his choice of relics and an regarded as Exces go to my collection/s.

He gave me small clod of dirt and said ~ " I think it is a button~ It may clean up !"

Took me around an hour to clean it off but by 17.00 hrs at home it came up pretty good ~

Best result to date !! Great Britain General Service Button~ once again suggests presence of British Servicemen inthe area during the South Pacific campaign!!

A Jack knife with rope/ knot tool ~ sadly past saving !

A mystery find I made ~ help from web compatriots identified it as one half of a PIAT fuze holder !!

SX27501 Private (Pte) Aubrey Carl Kotz (left) and Pte W Spence (right), members of 7 Platoon, A Company, 2/10 Battalion take cover behind a tree in the town area with their PIAT (Projector, Infantry, Anti Tank) gun during the Oboe 2 Operation.

KAIRI, QLD. 1943-08-31. MOVING A GUN OF THE 2/7TH AUSTRALIAN FIELD REGIMENT IN POSITION FOR ACTION DURING FIELD EXERCISES.

My Current GB General Service collection ~

From top left ~ Great Britain General Service button (unissued ) ~ I purchased a number on line )

Top right ~ The button I cleaned up today ~

Left second line ~ Original GB GS button traded ~ original WWI Somme battlefield relic ~ ( Will never be cleaned !)

Second line middle right ~ GB GS button I dug in January on 2/4th site ~

Bottom ~ GB GS button ~ The first one I dug at the 2/4th site suggesting British servicemen present WWII~

I have a damaged Officers cap same button ~ not present!

Weds was frustrating as I was again up against mate Terry with his ETrac MD and I decided to revise the settings on my CTX ~

The final results on Thursday were looking good so I planned a few hours on Friday!

It was scorching even under the shade of the large eucalyptus trees. First impressions very positive ~ After 30 minutes I decided to suck it up and headed to the water line ~ first zone was not so good but a waive of 303 shells and a 2 cent coin~
    The clouds started to build and I was soon privy to a large dark cloud which rained on me ~ ( Heaven!” and coupled with a nice southerly breeze~ )

I then moved and targets came thick and fast ~ a nice array of targets ~ this area is one of my hardest worked areas ~ The Old Fun park and I chose this deliberately ~

Under surveillance ~ two Eagles, or maybe hawks too (?) ~ circled for some 10-15 mins ~

Spent several hours before breaking for smoko ~ hanging out for a black tea ~ I spent another 40 minutes on site before breaking to move camp to the same area that Terry and I worked on Wednesday ~ 2/7th field regt. camp site.

Straight up I scored a Identity disc, unfortunately blank ! But still a cool find in an extremely worked area ~ In fact the first site I ever hunted ~

I plugged on till 16.30 ~

Well pleased with the new set up ~ Home again just before the storms unleashed the rain !

LE 303 Oiler tube screw cap.

Three pennies.

Two cent lizard.

ID tag (blank).

Two pounder safety triangle.

Mystery cap ( internal threads) – heavy Brass ~ * suspect a primus stove plunger retaining nut.

Cut down tea spoon.

45 cal. projectile.

Primer flash tube.

Detritus and shell cases not included!

EL ALAMEIN, LIBYA. 1942-10-28. MOBILE 88 MILLIMETRE FLAK 36 GERMAN GUN AND SdKfz8 12 TON HEAVY TOWING TRACTOR DESTROYED BY GUN FIRE FROM A BATTERY OF "F" TROOP AND 2/7TH FIELD REGIMENT, ROYAL AUSTRALIAN ARTILLERY.

KAIRI, QLD. 1944-02-26. MOTOR VEHICLES OF THE 2/7TH FIELD REGIMENT LINED UP ON A NEWLY BUILT CORDUROY SECTION OF THE ROAD NEAR THE CAMP.

( The big lose was after 4 hours the bug repellent wore off as I was sweating severely, as a result I was hammered by unseen bugs.. NOT pleasant ~ Some of the welts also could be a result of Heat stress ~

Give it another bash tomorrow in another solo hunt ~)

Monday ~

Heavy overcast and a forecast of rain increasing ~ The first of the rain once again started after I arrived home ! Well done YOU!

I headed out around 08.00 hrs and on site by 09.30 ~ for a Solo hunt with my modified and retuned Minelab !

As Terry is supposedly coming up tomorrow and I wanted to road test the Detector ~ Wednesday and the forecast is for receding showers to the north and the Gulf country ~ (The low is part of a long trail which leads right over the Cyclone that devastated Fiji ~ )

The weather was cool and heavy cloud but held off all day as said, till after I returned to home base ~ But I had barely rigged up when the first target was within metres of the vehicle ! A webbing buckle ~

I worked SW to start and signals were promising ~ I picked up a few misc, items including period silver and copper coins~

Eventually I worked back the vehicle and after retrieving the missing right glove I dropped I worked NE ~ and bingo ~ The MD was working overtime and I must have dug 25 holes in a 5 metre stretch ~

The thing was I have never dug so many toothpaste and shave cream tubes in one area ~ Obviously I had come across an ablutions area ~ confirmed by the presence of slabs of concrete ~

I plugged along till 13.00 and decided to move camp out of the wind and a fresh area ~ this did not work out as the site remains way too frustrating and after Smoko I returned the the new area ~

Once again the area delivered in grand style ~ The Minelab just kept delivering ~

One of the best days I have put in for some time ~ included three excellent condition Aust. Military Forces. three + 1/4 piece of 'Australia' title bars ~

Topped off with a (Hat ) Rising Sun. First I have seen for a while ~

The cigarette lighter I noticed had engraving but could not read it till I got home ~ I immediately noticed the first was a service number beginning with TX which meant an early enlistment from Tasmania ~ Plus I assumed was his initials ~ ' JCC '.

The flip side has a crude map of Tasmania and the letters, 'TAS'

Soon recovered the service record.. I don't think Digger Carpenter is any longer with us, as he was born in 1907!

WATSONVILLE AREA, QLD. 1944-04-28. A GENERAL GRANT M3 MEDIUM TANK HALTED AND READY TO LAY DOWN A BARRAGE ON A NEARBY KNOLL WHICH TROOPS OF THE 2/6TH AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY BATTALION ARE TRYING TO CAPTURE DURING A JUNGLE TRAINING EXERCISE.

Always Time out for a 'Durry'!

SALAMAUA AREA, NEW GUINEA. 1943-07-22. VX36052 PRIVATE J. R. PRIGG (LEFT) AND WX14029 PRIVATE D. SMITH (RIGHT) MACHINE GUNNERS OF "A" COMPANY, 2/5TH BATTALION.

The Lighter ~

Hi Stu,
    Just running through your thread cobber and in ref. to post 524 the 2/13th "The Devils Own" Battalion were never involved in the Kokoda/Beach Head battles. They did not leave North Africa until Jan 43 arriving home in Feb of 43. The Battalion first encountered the Japanese in Sep 43 during the amphibious landings at Lae and Finschhafen. The T patches were worn by 9 Divi mate giving ref. to their Tobruk connection.
    Hope this helps and keep up the good work cobber

2/13th reo 1943. (My Grandfathers Battalion). He's only on a half mannequin hence the short legs, well Pop was only around 5 foot 7 anyway

All the best
    Dave
    Last edited by Thanatos; 02-23-2016 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added text and image

Page 60 of 132 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 ... LastLast