Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 61 of 132 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 111 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Thanks Dave

Your or any knowledgeable expert specifics are appreciated ~ I use general references and in particular maybe my photo references are not quite spot on ~

As I like to say~ " I dig them and the experts can/ will tidy any details ! "

( In fact as you probably well know ~ there were a huge number of units that moved through this area ~ I apologise if details are ' off the mark ' some days ! )

For example ~ I recently contributed a Rising sun and a collection of badges and buttons to a 'surviving and active' original Digger who now resides in the UK ~ and served on the Tablelands ~

It was my honor to send these items to this surviving Digger ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

He in fact has fond memories of the area and in particular the 'Wongabel ' site which as a huge camp site ! But in fact I found a Rising Sun on the other site also listed as the 2/5th ~

Ironically this presence was confirmed by the Cigar lighter I found last monday ~ as the original owner was listed as a member of the 2/5th ~

If I research the 2/5th I find a myriad of unit presences across the country !!!

Regards

Stuart SS

Leave almost over for now but still time another recce on Weds ~ team hunt to goodmate Terry ~

Up 06.00 and skies were blue ~ if partially and occasionally covered by early morning mountain clouds ~

Within 30 minutes it was raining ~ but the accent was on clouds drifting up form the SE ~

The view to the NW was not looking flash ~ but the forecast was for a chance of a shower/s ~

I rang Terry and he was about to head off ~

I casually organised self and the transport ~

Still had to duck in and out of light showers ~but hey this is Malanda FNQ ~ and when there are SE showers you safely bet your sheep station that it is localised ~

Looked good all the way ~ but as we both arrived almost in sync at the rendezvous and the wind was up ~

We discussed the issue and agreed to head to the camp ground as planned ~

We travelled to the site I did so well on Monday and we discussed the potential of the site overall, including the shortcomings to date ~ ! ( A lot f discussions going on here ! LOL)

We then travelled to the site where I scored the two Gold rings in four days last year ! As it well past holiday season and the camp ground was extremely quiet & we saw no interlopers at all ~

But after < 1 1.2 hours> we declared the site as total fail ~ absolute dozens of twist top beer caps and pull tabs and at one specific area there dozens of rotten 303 cases in the NW slope !

(Looking to the NNE it was more than a little feasible for the site to be a rifle firing position~ a distance well above the tree line which would be ideal for long range and even sniper training ~ the target area where most know there is a firing range including a < 25 metre > trench ! )

So we moved camp to the military camp site and a gasping for smoko ~

We headed out around midday ~ and went our own way!

Weather was excellent with no real sign of storms or even rain ~

I was having an ordinary day until I scored a Digger’s ID tag.. ( I have found a tag in the last three hunts and all have been blank ! but not today !)

HOLLOW, PERCY FREDERICK CECIL

Turned out to be my first Officer's Identity tag ! A Warrant Officer fists class !

Then I found some targets forest as opposed the still partially cleared slopes ~ and dug some bits and pieces I plugged on till I suddenly noticed my pick was MIA and I immediately started to back pack as the area is clean of timber bar for the spreads of grass ~ Turned out the pick had fallen out of the belt before I even left camp ! Thought so !

Another smoko and we suddenly realised that it was 13.40 ~

So we agreed to do another 40 minutes and call it a day ~ Problem as it does ~ we both hooked into a good target area ~ ( In fact I want to go back to my find area as it has always been an area of ‘interest to me and after this hunt appears to have a lot of potential ~ )

I headed back to find Terry head down and working a large hole ~

Seems he has a hole with at least one even two Owen gun magazines which were loaded but the cases have lost since rotted leaving the 9 mm rounds and the breach loader boxes (??~ Correct title , please blokes ! ) ~

[

No further records found ~

Still more than enough time for a hunt for even two before Work again on Monday ~

General MacArthur in light-hearted mood during a talk with Australian officers at the foot of the Golden Staircase in New Guinea.

From left to right: General MacArthur, smiling; Lieutenant Nicholas D. Walsh, 5th Company, 7th Division Australian Army Service Corps (AASC), 2/25th Brigade; Lieutenant Colonel Frederick Nicholas Chenhall, Commanding Officer (CO) of the 2/6th Field Ambulance. (Negative by Bottomley).

( Don't thinK I ever seen a photo of MacArthur smiling or laughing ! )

A post on my WW2 Blog

Stuart,

That record of WO1 P.F.C Hollow is very interesting.

His unit, the 2/6 Company AASC, was originally named the 7th Div Supply Column in its days at Tobruk, was the same unit my FiL was in from its inception in late 1940 to his evacuation from Milne Bay with malaria soon after the battle there.

It was also the same unit as Pte Ron Barrassi, father of the famous footballer, who was killed in Tobruk in an air raid on the docks.

Finally, it was the same 6 Coy RAASC that I was attached to in 1958 after completing my basic training in Puckapunyal. My final departure from that unit in 1960 was a HUGE relief to both myself and the Army!

John

Falling behind the Ape Ball ~

Three hunts ~ first two in the same site ~

Weather is very fickle and we have just been enveloped by the same low that hit Fiji ~ but as a rain depression~

Lots of rain and typical Wet season weather !

A CHEVROLET CAB 12 FIELD ARTILLERY TRACTOR AND 25 POUNDER GUN OF THE 2/7TH FIELD REGIMENT MOVING ALONG THE NEWLY BUILT CORDUROY SECTION OF THE ROAD NEAR THE CAMP.

Solo hunt ~

No shortage of detritus ~

A 'tweaked' Stainless Keena razor sharpener ~

Second hunt ~ another Solo hunt ~

Another GB GS button ~ plus AMF

The Bottle is a Shampoo bottle from 1940s era ~

The GB GS button cleaned up ~

THird Hunt , a team hunt but split after a few hours ~ which worked for me as I needed to return to base early so this was short total hunt of a few hours!

But scored amongst a few items ~ several amazingly good condition items which will require no further detailing ~ as found !

One Hundred year old KG V Commonwealth penny ~ and an AMF button~

KAIRI, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA. 1944-02-26. A BULLOCK TEAM EXTRICATING A BADLY BOGGED TRUCK OF THE 2/7TH FIELD REGIMENT.

Amazingly I was doing research just now and found this record..

This man was based at the 2/5th which is one of my favorite sites ~ and I have dug so many times at Wongabel ~ A true blue bloody hero`

THIS is a pleasant revelation to me ~ the fact I have dug a site that a special hero frequented ~ after all these blokes were ALL *&*(&&* Heros!

The Making of ‘In Memory of Bull Allen’ : Wind & Sky Productions

- - ------- - -
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 03-11-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Up 7.30 ~ faced with a white out of mist and rain ~

But the forecast was for receding rain which grounded early proceedings to a halt on Friday ~

I had a plan and was determined to stick to it ~ geared up and off around 08.45~ Almost immediately the weather started to lift and even occasional sun shine moments ~

On site around 9.30~ Headed into the bush to check out another area ~ and sure enough the good targets started to appear ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery[/ATTACH]

Some of the area is heavy going with clusters of extensive Lantana

Nature at it's best

More excellent pieces in excellent condition ~

With the Wet still in motion the temperatures are still high and extremes of humidity ~ I ran with several sites which are familiar but results were poor so called it a day around 14.30 !

Again not a huge day but excellent result ~ well pleased !!

TwentyFive pounder (early 1940) primer

KAIRI, QLD. 1944-04-11. TROOPS OF THE 2/7TH FIELD REGIMENT IN POSITION "IN ACTION" ON THE 25 POUNDER GUN, NICKNAMED BUSTER, PURCHASED BY THE COMMONWEALTH GOVERNMENT OF AUSTRALIA WITH MONEY DONATED BY MR. P. RUSSELL.

Referring to the 25 lber above ~ "Buster" which wasa monetary donations by Mr. Phillip Russell~

?

Brilliant stuff, I will have to go over this from beginning to end later, thanks for sharing.
    C

Cheers Colin

This most recent story of the money donated to the Australian people during WWII~ I followed through with more research on the village and the history of the Russell family too ~

The family even donated allotments of the property to Servicemen after the War in repatriation!

Quite an amazing story from leaders in the field of sheep and fleece quality evolution in Australia ~

and the family were amazingly generous in the community ~

Sadly the estate was burnt down in 2013 ~

Carngham | Victorian Places

The property was destroyed by fire 2013 ~

Carngham Station, Beaufort-Carngham Road Carngham : Beyond Melbourne - Melbourne, Victorian & Australian Architecture Topics

Carngham Presbyterian Church, 2002

?

I remember the fire, had my trailer packed and ready to roll, but thankfully the wind took the fire the other way. 7 mins away by car that church from us
    C

Page 61 of 132 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 111 ... LastLast