MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 64 of 132 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 74 114 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Obviously that is where I came unstuck as I merely entered his ID tag ~ VX 51548 ~ and of course came with only one entry ~

Well done, again you ~ and thanks ~

It's also possible to have switched Services as well-rare but does happen-a friend of mine's uncle was in the Militia but then switched to the RAN so again 2 completely different entries except for the name and DOB.

My Uncle served in the Army #443358 and switched to the RAAF #N201569 in a matter of weeks ! Served in Spitfires ~

Two man hunt ~ weather was great ~ mild and sunny ~

Two sites ~ first nice open ground but grassey ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

I started out real slow ~ with several coins and an AUST flash ~ where as Dwayne hot of wel with two collar Rising Suns ~

We broke for Smoko around 11.00 and decided to head over to another site ~ which paid off well at the end of the day ~

I had a real score within 2 metres of the first with a ( Hat) Rising Sun and a 1943 immaculate Florin ~

We went on to score some great 'first ' finds including Dwayne's first shilling ~ ( KG V 1913 ) ~

My finds ~

~ 1943 Florin.

~ Rising Sun (Hat). ~ with manufacturer's mark .

~ Fifty calibre – ( Head stamp:T U 42 )- complete round. Nice condition !! FIRST ever fifty calibre !!

Plus ~ two KGV Commonwealth 1/2 pennies 1916 and 1936 .

~ Kangaroo penny 1943.

~ Two ( separate ) AMF coat buttons. ~ nice !

~ Two Harmonica reeds .

~ AUST flash – first score for the day

~ a 45 ACP

~ plus~ Always up for intact coloured glass ~ Cool Modern Schnapps bottle ~

~ Not sure about a the square glass jar but the base has my intrigued as it is a single cast square section.

~ Belt buckle ( modern I think )

~ Plus what I believe to be two foreign ( maybe Vichy French ) coins which had been tampered with ~ but definitely sound like European coins, when dropped on hard floor !

Dwayne's big day out ~

He also dug a plate which I figured was a field radio ID plate ~ but soon proved to be a RAAF radio code plate ~ the oen below was one he found listed on EBay UK !

Dwayne also found what he thought was cheap cosmetic ring.... I suggested he look closer ~ turned otu to be a reject Trench art Florin ring !

Additionally he scored a ID tag ~

1943-08-16. A DEMONSTRATION OF THE MALARIAL PARASITE, THROUGH A MICROSCOPE, ARRANGED BY SX7202 STAFF SERGEANT M. R. SPARNON OF THE 2/3RD AUSTRALIAN MOBILE BACTERIAL LABORATORY (9). ALSO SHOWN: VX48016 CORPORAL L. H. BURFURD (3).

Ahh! The trained killers of the 2/3 Aust Mob Bact Lab...again, some Digger will have cursed the loss of that 2 bob piece!

?

Interesting thread - I think your 2" Mortar Bomb is a smoke bomb judging by the number of vent holes in the base which looks to be 4. There should be a strike mark from the mortar firing pin in the cap of the primary cart which is fitted into the tail unit if the mortar has been fired although I can't see one in the picture. The vent holes would normally have a plastic type cover which is removed by the propellant gases on launch which is also the method of igniting the smoke element within the bomb. However these can deteriorate over time and therefore may not be present even if the bomb has not been launched. Good luck

some Digger will have cursed the loss of that 2 bob piece!
    LOL

Yes I often think the same ~ after all if a Middy ( 10 oz beer) on the day in 1943 was 4 p ~ then a Florin would see me for a night out I reckon !

I have found 5 now ~ does that equate to a 'quid' or do I need 6 ? LOL NO! I need ten !!!

There were twenty (20) shillings per pound.

The shilling was subdivided into twelve (12) pennies.

The penny was further sub-divided into two halfpennies or four farthings (quarter pennies).

2 farthings = 1 halfpenny

2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)

3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)

6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)

12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)

2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)

2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)

5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)

Understanding old British money - pounds, shillings and pence

Oh BTW ~

Can any one direct me to a definition of the ' 54 AUST FD PARK COY RAE-AIF'

Seems the AWM has no t record of this unit ~ or even Google is somewhat vague !

( Seems Lance Sergeant Pike was a member of this unit. Ionly found a reunion in Adelaide in 1946 or 48 in Adelaide ~ via Trove! )

Australian 'LSD' was slightly different-locally marked coinage started in 1910 for silver and 1911 for bronze-the Crown and Half Crown weren't circulation coins here although a coronation of King George VI commemorative Crown coin was struck in 1937/38. You also had 10 shilling notes from 1910 on-these were the equivalent value to the gold Half Sovereigns and replaced them in use as 1 Pound notes replaced gold Sovereigns over time-unfortunately you're not going to find them unless you come across someone's buried hoard in a tin box or similar!

you're not going to find them unless you come across someone's buried hoard in a tin box or similar!
    Something like this ?

(No It was not my find !! Found by MD in a demolished pub site !)

Page 64 of 132 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 74 114 ... LastLast