Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 75 of 132 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 125 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

it is actually a Boys anti tank rifle round.
    Yes ~ there was some debate about it in fact ~

I have some excellent authoritarian types on board and welcome their input ~ but as I suggested there was some debate ~

The case I put it in is in fact had the original projectile was 'ripped' out ~ distorting the case ~

So after several months soaking in oil as the primer is/ was intact ~ then I discovered the nickel plated projectile hiding beneath the crud ~

This lead to some debate as to whether it was a Vickers or a Boys ~ and whether the thing was a hazard or not !

The final ( well qualified) agreement was that is was not a hazardous projectile ~ and the fact that it fitted rather neatly into the Browning case with the distorted case endorsed it being a UK variety ~

But once again thanks for your input ~

The last hunt was on the Saturday last week ~ as it was a bit of a fizzer regarding relics we agreed to do another short hunt the Sunday ~

As I was working Sunday night ~ we agreed on an early start ~ I was up at 06:00 with no effort at all ~

We met up at 07:50 and headed off to do some more research hunting ~ It was rare fine day for a nice change ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

This was/ is rough bush country and we know was a military camp site for two units ~ both with some extremely high combat experienced history ~ and even a VC winner ~

It was cleared on the day ~ and all regrowth ~

It was hard going and targets were rare despite a lot of ferrous iron signals ~

Dwayne ~ surprisingly picked up a hall marked silver drop ear ( Angel )~ Plus a close quarter three 1940's KG VI pennies ~

I did dig a sad pannikin. razor head and a trench Art ~ rejected ~ piece ~ ( Not totally sure what the Digger was trying to create but obviously gave up on the project!)

Over the last week I cleaned up the trench art piece ~ came up real nice ~ and NO!~ It is not a joint ~ Rather a "durry" which my lady smokes ~ rollie/s!

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 06-05-2017 at 01:34 PM.

An intriguing sequence of events unfurled thsi last weekend after a MD colleague based in the Northern territory ( Australia ) did recce and came up with a identity item ~

In fact this is a first for me ~ and Darran ~

Some 18 months ago I found an ID tag ~ turns out they both joined in Cairns ( Australia ) ~ Fernleigh joined 1942 after the 2/11 th Batt. returned form North Africa;

Watson joined in 1940 ~ He would have seen it all by 1945 ~

Same town ~ same unit as Ambulance crew/s ~

(This bloke Watson ~ was court martialled as he was a corporal earlier !! Have not found yet as to why he was court martialled though !)

I have endeavoured to find a 'local' family connection with no luck thus far ~

A controversy broke out again of recent in our group ~regarding various Battalions that trained aroudn these parts in 1942> 1945 ~ after I foudn a comment on Pinterest regarding the Australian twenty five pounder crew/s dragging a gun through rough ground ~

I have experienced several sites ~ on in particular which made absolutely no sense based purely on the fact the track was so ~ extremely steep on the face of a very high range ~ not so far from the known military camps!

Last year I had bought a copy of a recent publication regarding the Australian military in WWII ~

This explained how the guns crews would take their artillery piece and equipment and drag them aroudn the local rain forests in these parts for up to a week ~

The reason being that when they guns ddi go into action ~ this training resulted in the heavy guns always being right there ~ in the front line where they were needed ~

So realising I may have touched on this subject earlier I did find some great shots o fteh crews at work ~

[CENTER]

25-POUNDER GUNS OF B TROOP, 14TH FIELD REGIMENT, ROYAL AUSTRALIAN ARTILLERY, BEING PULLED THROUGH DENSE JUNGLE IN THE VICINITY OF UBERI ON THE KOKODA TRAIL. MEMBERS OF THE REGIMENT ARE BEING ASSISTED BY THE 2/1ST AUSTRALIAN PIONEER BATTALION.

But the sheer logistics and sheer human determination ~ drive and fortitude to drag this thing through the jungle ~ with a definite positive end result ~

Australia developed the 'Baby 25 Pounder' as a reduced barrel length and weight version for jungle warfare, although it always struck me that it would have been quicker and easier to get hold of a small number of the British 3.7" mountain/pack guns that were already in use in India/Burma and that were intended for pack mule carrying or air dropping-one of the weapons the army used postwar was the 105mm OTO Melara howitzers that were man team portable (just) for jungle use and saw use in Vietnam.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery  

A little Australian History ~WELL~ if true a huge slice of history for Australian history Buffs ~

Breaker Morant's possessions may have been found at Tenterfield tip - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

- - ------- - -

A little Australian History ~WELL~ if true a huge slice of history for Australian history Buffs ~

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-27/breaker-morants-possessions-may-have-been-found-at-tip/8655516?pfmredir=sm&sf92850435=1&smid=Page:%20ABC% 20News-Facebook_Organic&WT.tsrc=Facebook_Organic

Saw that segment on 7.30-recorded it and will show it at the WAAAS meeting next Wednesday night-was interesting to see Ian Skennerton as I'd heard that he had a bad car accident a while back and wasn't fully recovered but he seemed pretty good to me!

Weather locally is just plain dam miserable ~ Winters here are usually cooler clear fine days but it has been rain every dand night of late ~ with rare windows of opportunity ~

So have been spending ,much of my tiem sorting through bins of relics which have accumulated into tray and boxes of detritus ~

But more importantly I have been consuming quiet a lot of my "snake oi" combo to restore many relics with spectacular results ~

One lot before treatment ~

Attachment 1088912

Top row including belt buckle ~ went back for a second treatment.

The AMF button centre left came up an absolute ripper ! Immaculate!

The part I like is that this Snake oil is environmentally friendly ~ apart from the aluminium foil ~

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery  

Nifty!

Not often that we / I get an exclusive invitation to visit a new site of private property ~

Last week this is exactly what happened ~

My team mate decided to do a cursory look and literally gained the key to the front gate ~

The following day we rendezvoused and headed in with the highest optimism ~

The proof of occupation was very soon evident!

An intact roll of barbed wire ~ I wanted to take a sample to examine the 'weave' ~ but no cutters on hand!

One of several Gun pits ~

( Always find ti is difficult to capture the reality of such a topo / environmental shots as the camera never reveals the true 'depth ' ~ this pit for example was much deeper than the camera tells !)

A water trap of sorts ~ the ground leading into the drum is contured to trap the water ~

Batere at it's best ~

The entire area was terraced and very obviously previously occupied ~

Apart from several fire pit areas ~ the relics were pretty thin on the ground ~

But the fact that there some Sun bakers ~ relics lying on the surface was evidence of the area not being previously worked over ~

We spent some 4-5 hours walking the area ~

My best score was a (large - hat) Rsing Sun ~

The small RS is one Dwayne found ~ and still some room for speculation as it si tiny and has the horizontal pin cach mounts ~ a Tie Pin ~ (? )

Input appreciated ~

My tally for the day ~

Initial scrub up ~

Items including RS ~ fifty cal. donated to my collection by DM ~ the small shell case I believe is a Arisaki ~ after soaking in detergent ~

Dwayne's collection ~

Several pieces after 36 special treatment ~

The RS may prove to be the best example I have as it was dug on the side of a hill ~

A lot of hiking fro a less than hoped for day ~ but may be worth a revisit with permission ~

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 07-10-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Page 75 of 132 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 125 ... LastLast