Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 82 of 132 FirstFirst ... 32 72 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 92 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Well been MIA for a few weeks now and struggling after I rolled my left foot at work ~ sad saga of work place failings as I see it ~

Thankfully I had my own "Mongrel" work boots as opposed to the standard supplied elastic side boots~

Anyway I have managed a couple of very short hunts on open flat ground/paddocks on the recommended pretext of exercising the ankle once it settled down ~

The first I decided on a specific permission site with open ground and no ( hidden or otherwise ) rocks or stones ~

I spent some time on the gentle slope but found little but for a nice solid brass knurled threaded cap ~ and several buttons ~

I was just about to pack it in and head home when I decided to push through the brush ~ and so glad I did ~ I suddenly was confronted with a partially cleaned paddock !~ The cocky had slashed the half the paddock ~

I was stunned ~

Within a minutes ~ I had a good signal ~ Turned out to be a (Hat ) Rising Sun ~ missing on pin but in amazing condition despite being encrusted with dirt ~

I was pretty excited and probably ~ well yes ~ rushed the preliminary recce of the area ~

But I returned to the immediate area of the RS ! And Blow me down I pulled a over coat button ~ I thought "Hmm looks like another Great Britain General service button!"

But no ~ it turned into a US Army coat button ~ "You Bloody ripper ! My first ever real US relic !! " Time for a small MD Happy dance !

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

I was stoked !!

I returned several days later with Dwayne ~ the off sider ~ I told him nothing and he was equally as astounded on arriving ~ after all we never thought the cocky would slash the area and only a lightning trike would ever clear the area ~

So as there was been considerable rain the regrowth of the area would mean we have to really hammer the paddock before the regrowth reclaims all and sundry !

We hooked in ~ and Dwayne did quite well ~ I was struggling a little as the foot was not overly happy and I found it difficult to tune in with the CTX.

I broke for a smoko around 10 :30 and reclaimed my focus after with some reasonable finds including a very 'stained green' collar Rising sun which I am planning to leave in the crusty green ~

We started quite early and by early afternoon we both decided to call it a day ~

I actually unearthed a Artillery Primer ~ which came as some what a surprise ~ knowing the nature of the site ~ It was in amazing condition and has four adjustment bands and a venting hole on the tip ~ The adjustment showed 0-30 increments in English ! But I had a symbol which looked like Japanese to me !

( I actually stored the thing until we were able to positively identify the device. ! Took "the team" effort to positively identify it as a Japanese 75 and 110 mm Anti-aircraft shell primer ! )

1944-09-07. QX34332 LANCE CORPORAL R. CURRELL, 5TH DIVISION SALVAGE UNIT CHECKING A JAPANESE 75MM MOBILE ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUN, TYPE 88. IT IS FITTED WITH THE MATCH POINTER DIALS SOMETIMES USED WITH THIS GUN WHILE A THIRD ONE IS FITTED TO THE SIDE.

TWO OF THEM ARE AZIMUTH DIALS WHILE THE OTHER IS AN ELEVATION DIAL. NOTE THE SMALL REPLICAS OF ALLIED AIRCRAFT PAINTED ON THE BARREL OF THE GUN DENOTING AIRCRAFT SHOT DOWN BY THE CREW.

This particular device has no spring trigger as typical of commonwealth and US fuzes and is driven by 'Black powder' which coupled with a top vent would render the black powder inert ! But I am soaking the thing to doubly ensure the integrity or lack of ! And will be certified by our UXO expert !

Japanese Type 89 Combustion Time Artillery Fuze - Inert-Ord.net

The reference courtesy of Inert ordnance.Org is very helpful and explains the device to fine detail/s ~ So I am very confident the device is inert ~ but as suggested will be taking further measures to 100% surety !

And I do not advocate any one ~ take liberties with these things and take ~

Dwayne picked up a brass bottle opener which he has since had repaired as it was broken in two ~ ( Apparently a Dutch manufacture ~ and looks the same style as the one I found several years ago ~ also in a military camp ! Except mine is much more the X factor ~ than a piddling man! )

My finds and clean up ~

Steel log splitter

The Rising Sun on the left is the latest cleaned up and the right is another I cleaned up bathed in snake oil and left in the Sun for some weeks to recreate the patina of the period.

My Holey silver

The folded piece I believe is a US style medallion backing plate !

The small piece between the *Victorian Buckle" and the Mini-ball prlectile ia Guitar pick made from a copper coin.

The farm pre-dates 20th century and later a military camp in WWII ~

?

Jeez, if you found that much with a rolled ankle, imagine what you would have found if you had broken it! LOL.

I am glad to see you are experimenting with patinas and finishes. Also, the odd left-as-found badge will provide a nice balance and variety to your display.

Oz.

Thanks Oz

I figure I have a great range of "rejuvenated" Rising Suns for example, particularly several of the ones I recently did when I applied a wax snake recipe which tends to restore the original Patina effect we associate with the Rising Suns ~

But I will assess each one or relic as I find them ~

I will post some more pictures of recent rejuvenation's ~

But last weekend I did several short hunts and I believe I 'tripped' into a 19 century residence site as I found a very crusty 1901 'Veiled QV' 1/2 penny ~ and what I reckon is a very cool piece ~ a simple piece of brass which 'the man of the house' endeavored to create a inner sole or even external shoe sole for either a petite small wife or sibling with size 5-6 foot !

Ironically mere meters from the spot That I found the Japanese 75 mm Type 88 fuze ~

I like it even in it’ simplicity but it says something unique!!

I went back the next day and get this I found NOTHING ~ Zip ~ but rotten 303 shells and detritus.. not a single take home piece ~ BUT ~ I know there are a lot more pieces to be found ~ but it will be &^*^ HARD work ~ with the bush and surrounds ~

Oh for got to mention ~ the shoe 'sole' being a Victorian peroid relic and a unique item I stoppe dshort of cleaning despite being brass ( or copper) as I see it it should remain as is with the original as found patina effect ~

I believe it would take that essence of antiquity away if I was to clean it up~

( BUT ~ I must get some tags to label these such items as I have many many items which most would have no idea as to what they are ~ and beyond my "owning" the collection it would seem the logical thing to do to 'label' these relics ~ Although I don't find the idea of <250> tags with strings attached laying willy nilly in the draws ~?)

?

Maybe apply a discreet serial number referencing a catalogue list like the museums do?

Oz.

The humble findings of last weekend

AMF buttons are always welcome in m bag!

I think the contents have definitely reached their Use By date!

Well thought it was about time to update the Hunts~

Did a solo hunt several weeks back and a shocker !! Found NOTHING ~Sure ~ lots of bullet cases ~ mostly rotten ~ Ferrous iron and detritus but not one time home quality item ~

Last weekend a team hunt saw us head off and on another new site by 08:30 ~ as we were expecting a hot and humid day after regular rains which again cleared for the day ~

This site is private property and required permission ~
    (My MD partner has special connections being a private college teacher ~ )

With relatively open flat ground in moderate bush it was a good site ~ even the grass levels are easy going and with clear visibility to spot the Joe Blakes~ a perfect MD World ~ perhaps !

Early endeavours were a little disappointing ~ but strong evidence of camp site/s were evident ~ included evidence of a demolished building with nothing more than a fire pit and extensive smashed 'fibro/ asbestos sheeting !

The first photo shows one of many ~ many steel rings which I have seen many times on these WWII sites ~ but this day we both found lots of them ~

Any thoughts on these rings appreciated !

My radios failed so we spent most the time separated and out of touch ~

By midday we were both feeling the heat and humidity of the day ~ DM called it a day but I broke for Smoko and returned for another go but the rising temps knocked me for a crash and burn ~ I headed home at 14:00 hrs ~

The cook house structure is an impressive structure and the area was also obviously a mess area with a lot of concrete slabs and formwork in the area ~

Nore suggestions of site developments ~

My humble finds ~ the 3 pd. is a KG V 1922~ the buckle with the webbing intact is impressive in itself ~ But believe the turn buckle is in fact the top runner for the Unit flag pole ~ and I am sticking to that .one ~

The final shot of my finds cleaned up plus some other coppers which have responded to my latest method of cleaning predecimal coppers ~ The 3 d is as dug ~ so again the soil in the area is extremely kind to fabric and relics overall ~ The key is stamped 'D/|\D & Lockwood.

DM's finds were pretty good too ~ butt he Italian button is the find of the day ~ turned out to be ~

Something in the pre-war contract consideration. I found this -

"...the factory's mark (*CORINALDI & RIZZI S.A. MILANO*).

This firm, founded in 1920, operated under this name between 1921 and 1938, changing thereafter to “BO.MI.SA. Minuterie Sa”. "
    I believe the button was a souvenir bought back from North Africa by a Digger.

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 12-01-2017 at 08:35 AM.

With the commencement of Summer ~ the weather has bitten down pretty hard with the mercury rising~ high temps and humidity ~and extreme UV ~ day hunts are definitely a challenge ~

( And a huge storm and torrential rain last night (Sunday) and building again as I speak ~

But hey I bought some good protective clobber some time back ad the heavy cotton camo shirt/s and stride are excellent and allow healthy 'breathing yet covering up exposed limbs ect.

But as it was going to be a solo hunt on Saturday I stuffed around until 11"30 before I got away ~ Usually as a team hunt we toss a coin and decide as to whether we will actually pack it in at Midday and here I am only arriving on site at 12:00~

I wanted to check out an area which is pretty public being right along a main road but heavily over grown despite considerable development over the years since 1943 ~

It is also on area which has a very steep incline or decline on the inner area which proved deceiving ~
    One could be forgiven for believing that would never be a camp site there unless of course they were mountain troops ~

It was soon very apparent that the site was in fact a camp site with detritus including fire pits~ rusted water drums and broken beer bottles ~

The heavy grass was a concern and I generally run with out the headphones to forewarn any Joe Blakes that I am here and coming !

As it was hot as Hell and high humidity I went slow and very steady which of course is great for heavy detecting ~

In short I lasted till 15:30 when it was too much ~ so took my bat and ball and headed home as Ms M was also wanting to do an outing.. But in short I must be conditioning self again as i was fine after a quick shower ~

The relics before and after the snake oil ~ the coat button , the razor and the 43 Roo came up Superbly ~
    The three webbing buckles came up far better than the camera tells ~ they are excellent~ as is the 25lber primer safety tri-star.

Vies well for the PH levels of the local soil ~

Officer of the Australian 9th Div Intelligence section shares a lighter moment with a German and Italian POWs (North Africa )

TOBRUK, LIBYA. 1941-09-15. THESE FOUR PRISONERS OF WAR INCLUDING ONE GERMAN (WITH HIGH BOOTS) AND THREE ITALIANS WERE IN A SMILING MOOD AS THEY WERE BEING QUESTIONED.

Doing a little ~ well~ a LOT of rejuvenation of relics ~ spectacular results ~

Of all things ~ boot s cleats ~ they come up superbly ~ tedious brushing off though ~

Opps! ~ checked a shell case (105 mm) donated to the collection ~ Primer flash tube was still "primed" ~ disarming job on hand ~

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 12-09-2017 at 04:51 AM.

A whole new inspiration to Metal detecting pundits and spectacular finds ~

(An older story now ~ March ~ I think but I for one have not seen it !)

Danish boy finds remains of German Messerschmitt in a field - BBC News

"Danish boy finds remains of German Messerschmitt in a field"

Apparently they even found three unused condoms in the pilots wallet! Nothing like being prepared ~

Page 82 of 132 FirstFirst ... 32 72 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 92 ... LastLast