Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 87 of 132 FirstFirst ... 37 77 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 97 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

?

I guess its one of those stories that gets better each time it is re-told. LOL.

Oz.

I think you got that right, mate ~

How many stories are retold under "poetic licence" !?

Been quiet due to the Wet season and other stuff,,

A lot of recces to locate potential new sites ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Actually explored an area I have asked questions about for some time plus found a small cache in a hammered site which i never anticipate.

Due to the abundant rains ~ the hole shows just who saturated the soil is ~ and this is on TOP of a rise ~

/ATTACH]Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

The frag is intriguing and as I cleaned it up I found it was in fact a 6 Pdr. round ~ obviously High Explosive ~ which in it self is interesting ~ that they were firing 6 Pdr. / rounds in this area ~

Did find an intriguing length of Barbed wire ~ I believe that Aus. Military used four barbs as opposed to conventional farm wire of three (?)

( Having said that I do know where there are two rolls of intact whole period B/wire rolls ~ I will look to retrieve one of these !)

TEL-EL-EISA. EGYPT. 1942-07. ARTILLERYMEN OF THE 9TH AUSTRALIAN DIVISION ARE HERE SEEN MANNING A 6-POUNDER ANTI-TANK GUN IN THE TEL-EL-EISA AREA. THIS GUN PLAYED HAVOC WITH ENEMY TANKS.

Further exploration recces ~

Not a lot of positive results but interesting as much a the history of the local regions ~

I have serious reservations about what this period heavy gauge 44 gallon drum was "shot " with (?) I don't believe a 12 gauge could inflict such damage ~ perhaps even 6 Pdr. canister shot (?)

The only 2 Pdr or equivalent was the US 37 mm which I don't believe were present in this area even if there were elements of US forces and paras.

The only bring home was a vintage glass insulator and a heavy brass piece ~ scrap value!

Still found no description of canister 6 Pdr. But I do beleive they were an element of the armoury ~

The latest addition to my static display ~ with barbed wire section

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plus a little advertising distraction with Guinness pushing their beer to Germans ~

Just ran a ID check on the Insulator ~ AGM : Aust Glass manufacturers Best ID is a 'CD 420 - 421"

It is believed that the CD 420.1, 420, 421 and 421.1 were all produced in the late 1920's up until about 1930, by the Australian Glass company (AGEE) as development and testing led towards the finalized design of the CD 422.
    Sluggo's Insulator Collecting - Featured Insulators: CD 420 and 421

That makes it a very cool find ~

In my endeavours to access new ground I was fortunate enough to actually be invited to hunt ground which I have been eyeing for sum years ~

Mostly a property with steep hills ~ there is a lot of evidence of the property being bulldozed and ripped ~ I found enough to make it interesting

The family dog preferred to hang out with the New bloke than sit aroudn at home ! Super friendly bloke at that ~

We both got saturated ~ fortunately the rain cleared for a few hours and allowed us today out ~

This scared the Bejeez out f me ~ had the right shape and a strong signal so I rang a mate who lives nearby ~ We thankfully established it wasa flash alarm ~

A Military issue water bottle but far too gone !

A cool score ~ a part of a Lockheed land gear ~

The The bloke who invited em to Hunt the property showed Riobert and I his family heritage relics ~

German 20 mm cases ~ two of ~ complete with inscriptions ~

An Australian trench art piece with officer's pip and Roo penny ~ very nice ` all three pieces ~

The quick recce was a quick walk around showed some potential~

I did return the following Saturday to a massive stunning surprise finds ~ a real wow ! factor ~ Report coming ~

Well~ a return visit was carried off last weekend ~

A bit of chat and Peter decided to join me wit his "$160" detector ~

I got the dog again and he got the kids ~

I worked straight to the rear of the property where my references suggested two camp sites ~ but I found nothing ~ so worked back again toward the farm house `

Numerous remains of concrete slabs and even intact slabs still remain ` Mate suggested the main camp was quite substantial ~

Based on the slabs alone that I have seen I wonder if at least one or more of the other camps were part of the main area ~

A few nice relics ~

But the claim of the day ~ was stunner ~

A cache of Rising Suns ~ an officers pip plus numerous buttons and flashes!!!

But the stunning pat is that the uniform relics are almost 100% intact with the original Black enamel even after 75 years ~

No more cleaning to be done and all these items wil be going straight into a display case as is !! An AWESOME find ~

We agree the uniforms were dumped in a pile and simply left to rot in a hole ~

Additionally the emblem ~ Not sure what that represents ~

Plus a Carlton united Brewery keg screw ~ only the second I have ever seen ~ even better the one I found early at Tinaroo dam!

Still raining here ~ huge floods and main highways cut in numerous places ~ maybe I can grab a few hours tomorrow ~as the forecast is clearing showers ~

And as many know the right Metal detector works much better in wet ground!

?

Cold Flame -Charles Hope Cold Flame refrigerators, electric and kerosene, 1940's-50's.

Now you are finding caches of badges? Aw, that's just rubbing it in! I'm not jealous ... really.

Oz.

I got another day pass last Sunday ~

Itwas warm but I felt the SE breeze would be fine ~

So I headed off a round 11:00 for a few hours at yet another relatively site ~

I parked on top of the local hill and walked down hill checking the areas ~

I figured it was me ~ being an ol' liquor swilling fart btu I was saturated ~ and fatigued pretty quickly ~

I decided to call it a day after only 2 1/2 hours and headed back to the car ~

On arrival I quickly dowsed the head with water and took time for a cup / mug of black Tea ~ meanwhile I checked the ambient temperature via the temp gauge on the dash ~

I was shocked ~ 38 deg.C. Coupled with extensive rain fall ~ no wonder I died in the Butt after 2" hours ~

ID tag s a blank!

Some of the pieces after first clean up ~ Not seen one of the large webbing buckles ~ Off-sider says he has three ~

Page 87 of 132 FirstFirst ... 37 77 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 97 ... LastLast