Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

BC~

Yes there iis no accounting for the varieties of soil around here,... ~ we literally reside on top of the Australian Great dividing range ~ which is nt so unlike the US Rocky mountains ~ but as Australia is one of ~ if not the oldest Continent on planet earth and this is was once volcani region the varieties of soil is pretty broad.

This particular area has a very shaley rocky hard ground on one side of the road and other the ground is a total contrast with a very soft easily dug ground of say 1 com/ 6 inches before one strikes a very stony underlay ~

No relics have been found below that under lay ~ but I carry a fossickers pick and the spade ~ Plus a hand spade or nose picker as I call it ~

Ready for just about any thing ~

Fossick #428 The Ammunition dump .

I decided to try something a little different and headed into a bush area which may have some alternative relics and goodies after all you never know unless you look~ right
    ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

After all the new Equinox has delivered ever since I bought it ~ But sure enough I walk straight into what I believe was an Site ammo store area for Mortars and 25 Pdr. Artillery in WWII

A 4 * 25 Pdr storage rack base plate ~ ferrous metal way too far gone ~

Retaining rod and brass wing nut for a 25 Pdr. shell rack ~

Site looked pretty innocuous to say the least ~ turned out to be a < 3 sq.M > plot where the mortars and 25 Pdr. were stock piled. ~ distributed~

Every webbing buckle with residue lodged is a frag of ferrous metal from the Mortar storage carry packs

The Mystery piece ~ bottom left ~ I have seen them before ~ even Ms M recalls them ~ they are aluminium ~ dug three today in this one spot ~ No idea ~

It came as quite a surprise as the area shows absolutely no sign of military occupation. But the evidence suggest this was a staging dump for triangle with live fire ~

The 25 Pdr top storage top plate I dug last year ~

Right Place ~ right time ~
    DANBULLA, ATHERTON TABLELAND, QLD. 1945-04-17. 2 INCH MORTAR SUPPORT FOR ATTACKING TROOPS AND FLAME THROWERS DURING FLAME WARFARE EXERCISES CONDUCTED BY HEADQUARTERS 7 DIVISION.

IDENTIFIED PERSONNEL ARE: PRIVATE F.C. DODDS, NO. 2 MAN, 2/31 INFANTRY BATTALION, (1); PRIVATE S.A. CLAYTON, NO. 1 MAN, 2/31 INFANTRY BATTALION, (2); PRIVATE R.B. JEFFEYS, 2/1 HEADQUARTERS GUARD REGIMENT, (3); SERGEANT H.G. BRIDGE, 2/27 INFANTRY BATTALION, (4); PRIVATE M.A. MAKEHAM, 2/31 INFANTRY BATTALION, (5).

1942-10-05. A.I.F. ARTILLERY MEN RECENTLY RETURNED FROM THE MIDDLE EAST, ARE NOW MANNING 25 PDR. BATTERIES AGAINST THE JAPANESE IN NEW GUINEA. REPORTS INDICATE THAT THEIR OPERATIONS HAVE CONTRIBUTED CONSIDERABLY TO THE RECENT SUCCESS OF OUR NEW GUINEA FORCES. THIS PICTURE SHOWS THE GUN CREW MANHANDLING THE GUN INTO POSITION.

( I often wonder how many Diggers suffered from Skin cancer and melanomas ~ after a many many photos show them "working" with no shirt or even rolled up sleeves~ the UV rating in FNQ are constantly severe !?)

Sorry, I don't recognise the alloy unidentified item AT.

Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596