Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 48889495969798

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

?

The floral design and colours of the swastika belt buckle make me think its a 1920's ladies buckle.

Fossick #437 ~ in search of the camp site.

Been very quiet of late ` we have hada LOT of wet weather ~ and wind~ abnormal amounts

Well~ Forecast is for rain increasing as of tomorrow ~ Wednesday and continuing for the next ten days ~

Today started out shaky but by lunch time it was fine and Sunny~ with brisk SE breeze ~

Detoured to see Jeb and see how he was going ~ before heading off to meet up with Mate Robert ~ and Dog!

We wanted to assess an area which was marked as WWII camp site`! I have looked at tis area before but we decided to go the distance this time and check the area out right to the bottom of the decline and to the creek bed.

We had barely gone five minutes in when i picked up a strong signal < 25> ~ All a little confusing as I have been playing with the settings ~ on the Minelab ~

I was not sure ~ we started to believe I we may have scored a Gold nugget as this is heavy quartz area and it seemed to be resilient and refusing to come out ~ So I am out with the pick and banging on the rough stony ground ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

I was about to give it away as mineralised soil and then I noticed it was out of the hole ! Giving it a quick hook with my boot was totally stunned.. It was a Bloody (Hat) Rising Sun !!

I could not believe it ~ the fact that I did not hammer it with the Pick alone was something else ~

So plugging along I found a lot of spent 303 shell cases and even found a spill of Bren Gun cases ~ and he had fired off the full mag of 30 ~ I gave the better ones to Robert ~

He had a good day as well as he came across Military Barbed wire loop spacers ~ He collected these and plans to tidy them up as relics, Cool find too~.

We eventually worked back to the vehicles and took a break ~ before we decided to have a look at the dump further down the track ~

Robert called it a day around 15:00 well pleased with hsi bits and pieces.

I was tempted t lug on for a while longer but stil not happy with the Minelab settings ~ so headed home about 15:45 ~

KAIRI, QLD. 1945-02-13. PRIVATE R K RUBY, BREN GUNNER, (1), WITH PTE L P SLOPER, MORTARMAN, (2), LOOKING ALONG THE ROAD FOR THE GOVERNOR GENERAL'S CAR.

THE MEN, MEMBERS OF THE 21 INFANTRY BRIGADE, ARE ENGAGED IN TRAINING MANOEUVRES.

BREN GUN PRACTICE. (NEGATIVE BY BOTTOMLEY).

Stuart SS

Rising Sun badges and patina

I have been experimenting with several Rising Sun badges for some 12-18 months as I was endeavouring to instil

the original Patina.

The point being too that most RS wee originally all Flat black `

But I am well pleased with the results. The Bottom badge is the one I dug this week in the "wilderness"

( An Original Badge ( Hat) I bought back from the USA ~ be interested to hear it's story !)

The badge I dug late last year ~ it is bent as can be seen and often happened withte Australian Diggers through daily wear and tear !

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 06-13-2019 at 06:15 AM.

The Rising Sun hat badge recently recovered is a 'Amor Sydney'

The coins first two dated 1942 and the third is a 1917 KG V 3 Pence. over last two hunts this week ~

Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 48889495969798