Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 128 129 130 131 132
Results 1,311 to 1,313 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Well finally ~ managed to get out again ~ this time with ol' Mate Terry ~ who has moved to Mareeba ~ which is far better situation and a mere 40 Km form our place.

We are hoping this will be a regular event now ~ but as I speak the weather closed in the very next and has degenerated to even more rain and miserable ~conditions.

So we agreed to meet up and head off to check out a colonial Pub site for assessment~

We agreed that to access the site we have to do battle the Grass is < 3 Meters> high ~

But we decided to spend around an hour fossicking the cleared areas~ in the hope we could find a probable camp site where the colonials camped before statementing cross over ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

I couped a 1947 Penny early and Terry came up with a gold Coins!

So no QV's or relics . We are both using Equinox 800 and both have an after market CoilTek. I am loving this 14*9 as coupled with the software I set up ~ it amazes just how well it can discriminately amongst a horse of trash and scrap ~ even brass and copper~ such as a 1000 tent eyelets.

We then moved on to old stomping ground which I have hammered for years but Terry had Never seen previously.

We worked around and tread some ground ~ working several of the camp sites and rubbish dumps, including the same one I have found to have been discovered and crudely excavated.

Despite the tip being ravaged still not sure what they were endeavouring to achieve as we retrieved a number relics and Bottles !!

We are still not sure what they were doing as we dug a number of "usual suspects " in webbing and military fittings. The sheer number of bottles is staggering ~ so perplexed as to what they were actually doing!

So anyway we decided to call stumps around 16:30 and we were pleasantly surprised neither of us faded at all day ~ has to be those extended smokos we are renowned for ~

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the relics that I bought home came up a trick considering that many came out of a cook off/ Burn dump~

Terry's total fo rthe day ~

Richmond Breweries Vitoria.

Tasmanian Breweries,

Knackered by day's end ~ so decided to drop the bits into the ACV over night ~ took several vat but they came uap real trick.

Clean up results well pleased as they were mostly retrieved rubbish pit/s and even fire pit!

Australian artillery personnel with a field gun ('25 pounder') in a revetment in Bougainville. April 27, 1945

Well again we have been under the hammer of extreme Mercury and cruel UV ~ while the southern regions of Australia break out their woollies.

Of late very two days we get severe local storms with thunder lightning and occasional down pours. The three days ago it all changed ~ temperatures dropped to < balmy 25 > deg.

Mean while ~ the Classic syndrome of " Never reject an unknown item until/ unless!" .

Some time ago I dug a strange brass piece in a Military camp site ~ ( "Oh really that is unusual of you ! SS") And no one could ID it ~ so it faded into obscurity ~

Then on line some one posted a ID issue with a relic bought from a military market place.

So i scouted around and sure enough it had been sent to the scrap Brass lot/s.

It looked like a Cricket bail gone wrong and weighs around 3=<300 grams>
    ( I even checked on site ~ and there is a post soem time ago but very Brief!)

It turns out it is in fact part of a Commando, US Ranger/ Airborne unit ~ Toggle rope. Sure to say I was stoked !

This is/ was generally tied around the waist of a combatant for a variety of purposes including climbing ladder~ building bridges ~ and ~ even an Offensive weapon!~ But in Brass Bonus!

It has stamping on it ~ H or K or B H or A L (?)

This is a little difficult to read but ~ US Rangers manual.

Why did some WW2 soldiers wear ropes around their torso? - Quora

Just had reboot ~ thanks to Michael Brown ~

Ben a busy 18 months and things have been radically changing for the better for us in FNQ Aust. As a result I have not done a lot of field excursions. Perhaps I should refresh with a report on one of my projects.

I am not one who "prefers" to leave my finds as found! If that is your choice ~ okay ~ I don't and as far values go that is irrelevant to me ~

I found what I been told this is a Military earth stake for one of the larger field radio units. This is the second of these I have found ~ and they are both hi tensile steel ~ and a tent peg is not high tensile!? Originally I simply thought ti was of no real value so I left it ~ But my Dutch contact was quick to scold me and go retrieve the spike ~

I actually had to scratch around to find it again ~ But this time decided to give this the full restoration ~ This was no small task and tok some time to clean it up !

A modest day ~ the period brick and beer bottle not included

No idea ???

I believe these radio sets are not typical of the larger command post radios(??)

Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 128 129 130 131 132