Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 132 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Default Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in recent past as the "Largest WWII Campsite of all "

A big call but from Townsville QLD to Cape Horn on the Cape York , large numbers of Australian and US forces occupied the area, Including extensive ground troops, air force and naval units ~ Plus large field hospital and logistical services ~

So ~

AIF and Aussie Mick

I am off tomorrow and may actually switch to a third local AIF campsite which I have been eyeing off for several months and the site was actually confirmed by "Mick" when 'you' supplied me with the maps ~ thanks mate ~

As for active munitions ~ I agree, but I actually never even gave it a thought once I established the upper steel structure was empty ~

(A bit more lackadaisical so no excuse ~ But there was a case up here in about 1959 when some whacker found a full blown mortar shell and took it home and proceeded to do surgery on it in the shed in a vice ~

I think the Body count was ~ an eye ~ an arm and lost fingers on the opposite hand plus severe leg damage ~ )

I grew up in rural NSW as a Baby Boomer with high capacity rifles including military ~ and even gelignite which was used to destroy rabbit warrens ~ and even Cyanide capsules ~ Perhaps that has produced a naive lack of respect within myself !!

So appreciate your sentiments and any further discoveries will be left intact and the appropriate authorities advised ~

Oh BTW does anyone know exactly what purpose that particular mortar shell served ~ as it is a little bizare !??

I did Google but found nothing like it ~

I am also assuming that the brass end cap is from a 2" mortar as I found it on a firing range (??)

The firing range I found was in the land spit in the distance ~ Note the underground fuel tank in the fore ground. ( a local resident told me that when the water rises above the top slab there is a noticeable oil slick on the water !) But the 2/7th Cavalry did run chiefly Bren Gun carriers ~

A nearby bunker . No one seems to know what purpose this served

And I won't mention your 20 mm round episode , AIF/ Luke as I keep assuring Ms M, my (very patient ) Lady on the home front that the extensive 303 live blanks are quite harmless ~

Time I feel to move the "Drawer collection" into the work and Brewery shop I feel ~ ~

And Yes I assure d my Boss I will Not be bringing any such sample of any sort into the workplace either ~

Fossicking web site reference/ Blog :
    Fossick site Shots
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 07-19-2017 at 03:16 AM.

AIF
    ?

Default Re: Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Good stuff can't wait to see some more finds! ...I also grew up with guns and all sorts of dangerous stuff that kids now days can only dream about.
    I wouldn't worry too much about live .303 blanks I think they are pretty harmless (My opinion anyway)

Keep us updated mate.

I can't tell exactly from your picture but the mortar is one of three things. Practice, smoke or para illum. Can you take a pic of the top please.

Your safety cap is indeed from a 162 fuze, used in 2 inch mortars.

Your 303 blanks are indeed safe, unless you do something stupid with them.

Good one Mate,
    Cant wait to see more of your finds.
    Happy Hunting

Cheers Blokes

And thanks for your interest Steve T ~

I would imagine that being a (typical) a rest and retraining area for many of the Australian units returning from North Africa ~ then be sent to the New Guinea / Kokoda campaign and beyond ~ that the Mortar is a practice round for sure ~

But I will post a shot as requested tomorrow as I am about to leave for the Office ` (Midnight to 09.30 hours this week)

I just have difficulty getting my head around the physical concept of just how the round sits and is projected ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 07-19-2017 at 05:30 AM.

the mortar is 2inch para illum

Quote by spotter View Post
    the mortar is 2inch para illum
    I was down the carboot flogging crap out of the garage, (£146 ), and initially saw this on my tiny phone screen, in glaring sunlight. Obvious on a big screen

That's my excuse anyway

Hey Spotter & Steve

Sorry if I am little naive but what exactly is a Para Illum ~ an Illumination , flare type bomb ?

( BTW I love your Top Tip ~ Steve

Who has not done this very thing. I have only had my Garrett AT Pro since Xmas ~ but now I feel I am extremely adept with it ~ But having said that I was digging yet another Tent site only weeks ago and the "dump " hole they apprently dug at the end of each tent site and i was down to at least a metre ~ and still not hit the gold ~ and I began to wonder if I had done this very thing ~

In these holes as i am sure you know ~ I had to remove a pile of broken beer bottles ~ The hole got wider and deeper ~ In the end I filled it in again and said.. "O'll be Baarckk!! " Real strong signal too I WILL return !!

Last time this happened it was under water and the goodies turned into a Duffle bag lock ! )

"Sorry if I am little naive but what exactly is a Para Illum ~ an Illumination , flare type bomb ?"

Yes mate a parachute illumination round.

Woww Wooww What a day ~

Went back to the trenches ~ and WOWWW~

Found a superb three pence and a shilling ~ and Sunday I was crowing about finding my FIRST live intact 303 round ~ man !! What does one do with a hundred 303 rounds ~

The photos are going to BLOW you away and long story short ~ A Army demolition expert is going to pick me up on Thursday to shwo him where I found the unstable 70 year old WWII ordnance in a standard military box buried at Tinaroo ~

Details and photos shortly !!

Page 1 of 132 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast