Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

B17 Toolbox

Article about: Having recently crossed paths with a friend who shares a different hooby with me,I descovered his father had visited a B17 crash site that I have visited,Only difference is that he had visit

?

Default B17 Toolbox

B17 ToolboxB17 ToolboxHaving recently crossed paths with a friend who shares a different hooby with me,I descovered his father had visited a B17 crash site that I have visited,Only difference is that he had visited it on the day it crashed and had liberated this toolbox.Sadly his dad has died and he asked if I would like it as he has no use of it now.
    The toolbox was converted to a fishing box at some stage in its life,Handle was removed from lid and a foam pad was added.
    The tools in the box are original to the box a lot are missing now sadly.
    Still a nice piece and happy to add it to the collection,I will place the few items I have found on the site into the box.

?

Do you have any info on what B17 it came from?

?

The B17 crashed on the 24th April !944,No confirmed serial yet but Think it was from the 447th BG.

?

Just done a bit of digging and can't find any losses for the 447th BG on the 24 Apr '44. They flew a raid to Friedrichshafen as part of Field Order 208. They suffered 1 ac as having major battle damage and 1 minor. I wonder if the tool box was a result of the 'major battle damage'

For further info they dispatched 30 aircraft, had 30 airborne but only 28 prosecuted the attack on the target. Bombed from an altitude of 24,300 - 26000 ft with 'good' results.

?

Sorry,Me being a little fast on the keys.

Date I was given was the 24th April 1944,Should have said 457th BG,Ac crashed into a wood and was a total write off.
    Never really looked into further as other things got in the way.

?

Ah, cool. I'll have a look and see what I can find out. I need something interesting to entertain me on night shift as I can't stand my job!!

?

Well after a further look I could only find info on 457th BG aircraft that were lost either just before or just after that date in the UK but nothing for the 24th April 1944.

?

Thats all the info I have on this B17,I have been to the crash site myself and found a few bits,Its just frustrating not having the correct info.
    The B17 came down in Tonbridge,Kent if that is of any help.

?

I'll keep looking, as a location should help. I'm just plain curious now to see what happened to it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast