Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battle of Britain... 'a few'.

Article about: by martynv4 It is the 15th indeed but the parades are usualy held on a Sunday (when it's bound to rain!), so it'll either be the 12th or 19th I believe. Martyn. (Hello Indiana!) hello soggy

Default Battle of Britain... 'a few'.

If you'll pardon the pun in the title... I thought that as it's the 70th today of 'Eagle Day' I'd put pictures on of my BoB relics. All were recovered at the time by my uncle who lived in Dover at the time. His wife was a WAAF and stationed at Manston throughout the war and obviously faced the bombing af the station throughout.
    You'll recognise the items so I'll just post the markings.

pic 1; "AZ1502DWM11 1e 39 II", "AZ1502DWM11 4c 39 I", (fuse) "No253/1M" (body) "CE 1Z".
    pic 2; (.303'S) "K1936 VII", "RAL 1940 VII" (excuse the 'A', I don't have a key for the crowsfoot!)
    pic 4; ACW prop's were my Aunt's, the 20mm was from crashed aircraft.

Martyn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Britain... 'a few'.   Battle of Britain... 'a few'.  

Battle of Britain... 'a few'.   Battle of Britain... 'a few'.  

Default Re: Battle of Britain... 'a few'.

Another item is a piece of FLAK. It still has some of the mechanism but unfortunately the only surviving markings are "11" on the side.

There is another item but.... my Aunt still has it. A German incendiary bomb (intact). The Royal Marines handled alot of bomb disposal in Dover at the time but with so many incendiaries dropped, they couldn't cope and ended up teaching people working at the docks, my uncle among them.

If anyone else has any items.... please share

Happy Eagle Day everyone!

Martyn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Britain... 'a few'.   Battle of Britain... 'a few'.  

Battle of Britain... 'a few'.  

Quote by martynv4 View Post
    Another item is a piece of FLAK. It still has some of the mechanism but unfortunately the only surviving markings are "11" on the side.

There is another item but.... my Aunt still has it. A German incendiary bomb (intact). The Royal Marines handled alot of bomb disposal in Dover at the time but with so many incendiaries dropped, they couldn't cope and ended up teaching people working at the docks, my uncle among them.

If anyone else has any items.... please share

Happy Eagle Day everyone!

Martyn.
    Heres a relic .303 Browning machinegun which was brought up in fishing nets off the Isle of Wight along with the wing tip section later positively identified as being that from a Mark 1A Spitfire and deffo a Battle of Britain loss. Regards, Tim.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Heres a relic .303 Browning machinegun which was brought up in fishing nets off the Isle of Wight along with the wing tip section later positively identified as being that from a Mark 1A Spitfire and deffo a Battle of Britain loss. Regards, Tim.
    Forgot to add-heres some pix of the relic .303 Browning as i received it. Its in good solid order and is one hell of an impressive item for a Battle of Britain or aircraft buff, my problem is i just dont have anywhere to display it in the house. Regards, Tim.

When is the 70 th of The Battle of Britain,will there be a lot of remembrances going on Would love to be there with our Brit allies.Rule Britainna

Tim, !

Funny how I had the same thought about your lovely item as I did of my unexpended 20mm... "I hope he got out!". Did you manage to get any serial numbers etc?

Operaman, some services etc. were held on the anniversary of the start of the battle. There's a parade in most towns in September but I should imagine there will be a big one at the BoB memorial down by Folkestone.

Martyn.

Quote by martynv4 View Post
    Tim, !

Funny how I had the same thought about your lovely item as I did of my unexpended 20mm... "I hope he got out!". Did you manage to get any serial numbers etc?

Operaman, some services etc. were held on the anniversary of the start of the battle. There's a parade in most towns in September but I should imagine there will be a big one at the BoB memorial down by Folkestone.

Martyn.
    Cheers Martyn, From some research ive carried out this .303 Browning i have came from one of over 29 Spitfires listed as missing between Aug and September 1940, though there were obviously more losses in the months that followed the Battle Of Britain period. It is very likely that whoever the pilot was was killed and missing as only one was rescued from the Channel during the battle and he died later of his wounds. Its incredible stuff and i really hope that more organisations pull out all the stops to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.Your collection of cannon shells and other odds is fascinating, the 20mm's are deffo 20-mm Oerlikon MG/FF's from 109E's-great items and thanks for showing them. Best Regards, Tim.

Thanks for the info Tim. My family still have land down there and I remember my uncle explaining how roving ME's would fly at tree top level and strafe anything that moved. There's one place in particular where he and a friend were having a punch up and were rather rudely interupted by a 109! Love to get a detector down there.

I've also gained some A.R.P. bits from the area though nothing to say they were from the exact battle period. Post pic's when I've taken them.

Martyn. (I'll be turning out for our local parade!)

battle of britain day is sept 15 i think

It is the 15th indeed but the parades are usualy held on a Sunday (when it's bound to rain!), so it'll either be the 12th or 19th I believe.

Martyn. (Hello Indiana!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast