Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Battlefield archaeology conference

Article about: Hi Rob, "Two men in a trench" is the series who's name eluded you. I enjoyed it, bar the gaffs! With Tony Pollard and Neil Oliver. Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: Battlefield archaeology conference

The programme about Wilfred Owens bunker at Serre was one of the first i can remember that had other historians up in arms regarding the inaccuracies portrayed in the account !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I am actually majoring in anthropology and I think I remember one of my archaeology teachers using Robertshaw for his 'what NOT to do' examples. Are you sure that his mistakes aren't just there to sensationalize the program?
    It's all sensationalism, and I'm fairly sure the show is designed to attract private funding for their projects. Archaeology is like that though, you do have to justify your existence to those that are paying for it, and sometimes they do 'engineer' the evidence. I'm pretty sure all the 'giving the family the artefacts' rigmarole is a marketing 'fluffy bunny' exercise.

As long as you use words like 'possibly', you're not really being dishonest

Rob

The thought of being in the same room as that idiot fills me with dread, only because I would most likely end up rearranging his nose. The mistakes he makes are just terrible and his assumptions plain embarrassing.

I'd rather spend 4 hours watching Davejb chip rust off Lee-Enfield bolts than sit and listen to him. In fact, I could well be doing that this Saturday

Robertshaw needs to be taken off air.

Steve T

?

You cant resist it can you, every flaming opportunity to bring me into it somewhere, here i am sitting chewing a mars bar and then me names up there again, im sure theres a law against it, theres got to be, I NEVER VERBALLY ASSAIL ANYONE ON HERE, , least of all Steve T, I really dont know why he picks on me all the time, im such an inoffensive and likable bloke I never say anything about him , ask Ade he'll tell you, he'll back me up

Reg
    ?

I was screaming at the TV on that "England" watch strap programme..... Think my voice is still to recover! lol. Might go though, just to re affirm my opinion! I like to be sure.

Reg

Quote by Paul E View Post
    The programme about Wilfred Owens bunker at Serre was one of the first i can remember that had other historians up in arms regarding the inaccuracies portrayed in the account !!
    The earliest Robertshaw amateurish gaff I remember was on that show with the young Scottish archaeologists, whatever that was called. They were doing an investigation of a WWII fixed coastal artillery emplacement on the south coast of England somewhere, and lo and behold, they found a brass fused grenade badge with UBIQUE in a scroll underneath. So they took this 'trophy' to Robertshaw who went on and on about it being a Royal Artillery collar badge and where it was worn on the collar and how the same badge was worn by the Royal Engineers.

Now I know the fact that in WWII it was worn as a cap badge, and it was NOT the same as the RE one doesn't sound huge, but what kind of 'expert' British military historian isn't familiar with standard RA/RE insignia? I knew this crap when I was 11 years old. OK, if you couldn't quite recall the puggaree flash of the Royal Warwicks at Omdurman in 1898, I'd let you off, but the Royal bloody Artillery in WWII?

What a loser, although he did know the difference between shrapnel and shell fragments, I'll give him that

Rob

Quote by davejb View Post
    You cant resist it can you, every flaming opportunity to bring me into it somewhere, here i am sitting chewing a mars bar and then me names up there again, im sure theres a law against it, theres got to be, I NEVER VERBALLY ASSAIL ANYONE ON HERE, , least of all Steve T, I really dont know why he picks on me all the time, im such an inoffensive and likable bloke I never say anything about him , ask Ade he'll tell you, he'll back me up
    Oh stop being such a baby. You know it's only because I love you so much. You should be grateful for the attention ya old bugger.

I'll give you a big kiss on Saturday to make you feel better.......AND don't forget I've got a prezzie for you

Love ya Dave !!!!!

Steve T

Hi,
    Cracking thread,lol.
    Dave.

?

Now im really worried, this could constitute a case of sexual harrassment via innuendo, and this present better not have any rubber on it, in it, covered in it and shaped funny otherwise IM OFF

Quote by davejb View Post
    Now im really worried, this could constitute a case of sexual harrassment via innuendo, and this present better not have any rubber on it, in it, covered in it and shaped funny otherwise IM OFF
    All I'm saying is I will also be bringing a large tube of KY, an elbow length rubber glove and the squirty cream.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast