Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Battlefield finds

Article about: We left it all in piles on the ground. Our plan is to come back and mark the piles of mortar rounds and grenades on a GPS and tell the Estonian authorities. The big mortar rounds need to be

?

Default Re: Battlefield finds

We left it all in piles on the ground. Our plan is to come back and mark the piles of mortar rounds and grenades on a GPS and tell the Estonian authorities. The big mortar rounds need to be disposed properly.
    Please leave them and forget- Estonian 112 service get lost a 25% of the crew due of financial crisis, everyone knows that each square meter in that area contain 2-4 explosives from the war time. They don't have a time for the funny walking by forest ( as I know some of the guys personally- each call is head pain)
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Quote by eraser619 View Post
    Just wondering did you burried the live ammo or what did you do with it

Nice find's
    If you walk in the forest in Tannenberg line and Auvere area- you will find unexploded 150-250 mm shells everywhere
    Regards,
    Dimas

?

Scout the Hills themselves are classed as Memorials and it is not allowed to dig or detect on them,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Diemas, I thought it would be so; the the locals are occupied with more important things to them than disposing of live ammo in the forrest. Thanks for the info. Still amazing that big live mortar rounds lie around like that.

Paul, I would never think about searching the hills themselves. I just wanted to see them and the countryside round them. When one is there, it is quite easy to see how the axis forces could hold off the russians for so long. The hills totally dominate the landscape.

Any thoughts on the items I asked about in my previous post?

TIA

Quote by Scout View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys. You guys are not being nosey at all, Raymond: These pis are from Narva. Near the three hills where the germans held of a superior enemy for app. half a year at the end of WWII.

As you can see there are amongst other things parts from russian tanks, a Sphagin PPSh and a Moisin Nagant Bayonet.

Loads of rifle ammo, though most are in iron cases and thus rusted through. The few brass cases ones i found were german and were found at the site were elements of the 24. SS Regiment Danmark were dug in (see pic above)

AFIK you have been there, Raymond?
    Cheers mate , yes iv been there , a truely awesome place and experence , hope to see some more pics , cheers Raymond

?

Here you go Raymond, more pics as per your request

Two views of what I assume is a rusted out mine?

After decades of lying in the mud, there are still 71 rounds of 7.62x25mm Tokarev ammo good to go in this PPSh 41 mag

Underside of periscope cover for a russian tank (one of those hit by german PAK from the hills I assume)

As Diemas mentioned above, there are shells every where.

Folding storm ladder ready for an attack on the hills?

Shovel (most likely of later manufacture than WWII), shell casing and a huge chunk of shell. Imagine that last one flying through the air

We left many piles like this behind

Also found this baby closer to Narva City. Gave a pretty good reading on the meter, but unfortunately proved too big to haul off.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battlefield finds   Battlefield finds  

Battlefield finds   Battlefield finds  

Cheers for those mate , i never get sick at looking at these pics , cheers Raymond

?

Scout don't worry about the shells etc just worry if you come across the Robocop in the forest
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Scout, please use our uploading system, it's very easy, it's a bit a headache for moderators, to edit post, as I've done your first post, due of all the pictures will lost from image hosting and all the posts starts to be useless.
    Regards,
    Dimas

?

I like winter digging! That's something special! Keep digging!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast