Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Battlefield Tours to Russia

Article about: Interesting.....

?

Default Re: Battlefield Tours to Russia

Yes i saw that mate. In the beginning i took from Denmark to Russia a few times a year. Cost not more than 340 Euro for the plane ticket and then the visa to Russia. It can be done for 50-100 Euro. When you are out digging it does not cost much to be here.

Now i live here

Nice finds Datrus. Those awards in the first post are in an outstanding condition.
    Well done
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

Yes they are really nice. The area was not too swamped. If they are well under ground with not much oxygen it's pretty good.

What do you guys with german skeletons that you found warn the volksbund.?

?

Yes of course. There are several local contact persons from Volksbund, and i know a few of them. One of them have been burying WW2 soldiers here for 12 years. He is a priest. Volksbund however can be a little difficult at times. If there are no dog tags with the skeletons, they do not care a lot about them, even the trench is filled with German equipment, showing that these guys really are Germans. Their aluminum hair combs can sometimes reveal the name of a soldier. The priest here bury the soldiers regardless of missing dog tags, which is a nice thing.
    As described earlier in this post, we lost 10 skeletons and their personal belongings last year. This story can be found a few posts back. This year we will go to a trench with at least 20 forgotten soldiers.

Regards, Lars

This would be a fascinating trip, I would love to do it but unfortunately it is a long way from Australia and I would need a couple of years to plan and save for a trip to Russia. Maybe one day in the future, it would be terrific to do this with you mate, there is nothing like local knowledge and experience. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have plenty of people who will gladly take you up on this, cheers, Dave.

?

Thanks for the nice comment Dave. I would really like to take people out in the field. It is fascinating to be there. It fills me with all sorts of thoughts and emotions being out there, thinking about what went on some odd 70yrs ago. You can of course see trenches, bunkers, scrap and so on, but when you start to uncover items from the ground it's really something else. Tells you a lot about what went on. Empty casings tells you the direction of fire, sometimes multiple directions, showing signs of heavy battle. Samovars for making tea. Lots of stuff going on. Sometimes it's an endless search and you don't find much when exploring new areas. But even then I'm just happy being there.

The trench excavation will be a separate mission. We have already put crosses along the 200 meter long trench, making it easier to find again. We will not have time to do anything else on that trip. Exhuming skeletons takes a loooong time. I have plans for taking pics and making video on our trip this year. Have lots of pics but no video.

Regards, Lars

?

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    This would be a fascinating trip, I would love to do it but unfortunately it is a long way from Australia and I would need a couple of years to plan and save for a trip to Russia. Maybe one day in the future, it would be terrific to do this with you mate, there is nothing like local knowledge and experience. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have plenty of people who will gladly take you up on this, cheers, Dave.
    Dave on my Narva digging trips my mate from Perth has been three times and is coming again later in the year , everyhting is possible !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi lars i plan to visit Latvia next spring so i may even pop over to you guys aswell ..send me a pm with details of the trip IE flight's and the acc i would be staying in if i came over..this would be a digging trip but also buying items for my site
    regards
    Wayne

?

Quote by ww2relicsandcollectables View Post
    Hi lars i plan to visit Latvia next spring so i may even pop over to you guys aswell ..send me a pm with details of the trip IE flight's and the acc i would be staying in if i came over..this would be a digging trip but also buying items for my site
    regards
    Wayne
    Hello Wayne, I have sent you a PM

Regards

Lars

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast