Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!

Article about: Nice story! I spotted some Belgian, Dutch, German and French coins in the hoard. The hoard couldn't have been burried for a very long time as some of the coins are war time coins like the Du

Default Re: A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!

A nice variety in there I can even see a 'two bob bit'

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thanks Nick!

?

I would imagine that you have quite a valuable collection within that hoard, Roman coins, depending on era and scarcity have proven to fetch quite a great of money in their own right, i would also check the dates on the British pennies, some of these at the right date have proven very valuable, a check on google re coin valuations might help, also a local museum may help that has a selection of various artifacts, good luck with it

Well, it is very hard to belive all these coins are from the lot discovered in 1944/45. There are too many different coins from differend parts of world and different centuries. Just my opinion. There is even 1 Russian coin from the 19-th century.

Hi,
    i dont see what is wrong in having all those different coins in one place, i used to collect coins and have many from all over the world ( very old ones ) i even have some of the roman ones shown.
    so i cant see why it is hard to believe.
    Dave.

?

Thanks Dave for the tips. It would be great if they were worth something! I really appreciate the insite..Cheers,
    Edwin
    Hi Frundsburg, My Dad passed away in 1972 when I was quite young. Im going by the word of my mother on what he told her about the coins when he returned from the war. I already know 2 coins didnt belong...Is it possible he may have threw a few more souveneir coins in there as well?? Maybe I cant ask him. Regardless, that is the true story of the origin of these coins and how they came to be in his...and now my posession. Best Regards Edwin

Hi,
    Edwin, i to lost my dad in 1972, he also was a soldier in the second world war and we still have some of the items he left us, i heard some stories of what they went through and it sometimes wasnt pleasent. I still treasure the stories and the items, it doesnt matter if at sometime he put a few more in there for safe keeping but some of the items brought back by them is hard to believe.
    But brought them back they did.
    dave.

?

Thanks Panzer 3 (Dave) for the comments...appreciate your post

Cheers, Edwin

?

Edwin very cool coins and history. I have in the past gotten coins from vets . They liked to pickup a coin or two from wherever they went. I was told the coins were a easy to carry souvenir . Gary

?

Hi Gary, Yes I agree...it only makes sense. Thanks for the post

Cheers, Edwin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast