Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!

Article about: Nice story! I spotted some Belgian, Dutch, German and French coins in the hoard. The hoard couldn't have been burried for a very long time as some of the coins are war time coins like the Du

?

Default Re: A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!

And the backs..I removed one as when I turned it over I seen a date in the 1600's Hope to hear anything you can come up with Uncle Paul...Appreciate it! Cheers Edwin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!  

?

Thanks Ronnie, I will do that! There's a few of them in there...That would be cool as hell. Thanks much for the reply...Greatly appreciated!
    Regards Edwin

The photographs aren't sharp enough to identify many of the coins, but I can tell you about some of them. I can't help with the top row except to say that the last three coins don't appear to be Roman. The first coin in the next row looks like the emperor Vespasian (A.D. 69-79) or his son, Titus. Next come a bronze dupondius of perhaps Trajan (A.D. 98 - 117), the next is unreadable and it is followed by a small bronze of Constantine II (A.D. 337-340), the next two aren't Roman and the last one is but I can't read it.
    The next row is most interesting. I can identify with certainty the third one in. It is a bronze coin called an as that was struck by the Emperor Tiberius (A.D. 14-37) to recognize the divinity of his dead father-in-law, Augstus, whose portrait is on the coin. The inscription reads DIVUS AUGUSTUS PATER or devine father Agustus. This coin would have sold for about $75 thirty years ago. Wish I could help with the remaining coins, but I can't see too much except to say that the little silver one (third from the right on the bottom) looks like it might be an antoninianus of empress Herennia Etruscilla who was doing her thing around the middle of the third century. Hope this has been helpful. Uncle Paul

?

Just retrieved one of my Roman reference books ..

And at a glance as Uncle Paul has pointed out, there is a well worn coin of Augustus (27BC - AD14) "DIVVS AUGUSTUS PATER", which was stuck after his death, in his honour, by Tiberius (AD14-AD37).

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!  

I collect antique coins too. You got some really rare coins there. I think that one coin is with Jesus Christ face on it! really nice!!!!!!!
    regards

?

Thanks Uncle Paul for your time and research, I really appreciate it. Very interesting! It amazes me that these are so old..14 AD, 69 Ad, some less than a 100 years since Christ..WOW! What history!

Thanks for checking that out Gary, I just looked again and you said 27 BC! HOLY S****! That one was circulating when Jesus Christ was walking the earth over 2000 years ago! I knew they were old but that just blows my mind! I do agree with you Consonecollector, that does look like him on that coin halo and all! Thanks again for your time guys its very much appreciated......Cheers, Edwin

: )
    best regards ehawk!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4