Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!

Article about: Nice story! I spotted some Belgian, Dutch, German and French coins in the hoard. The hoard couldn't have been burried for a very long time as some of the coins are war time coins like the Du

?

Default A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!

Hello all, this is the first post of my own (Im new). I thought I'd start with something a bit different. Somewhere over there in 1944 my Dad was a S/SGT and he along with three of his men was under a heavy 88 artillery barrage. Seeking some kind of cover they ran into an old one room school house that had previously been hit as the roof and the floor of the building were knocked out.
    They jumped through a hole in the floor to the dirt "crawl space" and started digging in under the floor.
    As they were digging they hit something..an old leather satchel that was falling to pieces. When the artillery stopped they pulled it out to have a look. The satchel was full of all kinds of coins. Someones stash! They devided them up for ways. This is his share..which was passed on to me. Some look to me to be roman coins, they appear to be from different countries, even England! Regards, Edwin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!  

?

Default Re: A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!

a close up of a few...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!  

?

Welcome Edwin,
    .. Yes !!! there are a few Roman amongst the stash ..
    In fact, quite a spread from 1st Century AD through at least 4th Century AD..
    (As a general rule, earlier Bronze Roman are larger in size, and as the centuries progressed, they minted smaller coins to save on metal usage.)

Regards

Gary J.

Seems to be some Belgian money as well!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

a couple more

?

Thanks for the bit of info Gary. Im not a coin guy at all and Ive never had them checked out. Theres an american wheat penny and a buffalo nickel in there that wasnt in the find...he threw them in the bag for some reason and I keep them in there.

Regards, Edwin

?

Thanks Stuka, the only ones I recognize are the ones with the english language..stey kind of speak for themselves! : )

The one with hte hole in the mid is a Belgian one.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Edwin

1787 coin in post # 5 is from Schleswig Holstein and the 1798 is a Russian 1 Kopek coin.

Regards

Richie

?

Thanks Richie,
    Someday I should really get them checked out by someone who has knowledge in foreign coins...so at least I can learn where they are all from, how old and the era. May have to do a road trip though because I dont know of anyplace near me that deals in these types of coins.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast