MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Battlefield visits

Article about: Hi all, just returned from a visit to the Ardennes this morning, via the Mohne dam via The Bridge at Remagen, Mohne dam was very interesting, the size and height is awesome as well as the ar

?

Default Battlefield visits

Hi all, just returned from a visit to the Ardennes this morning, via the Mohne dam via The Bridge at Remagen, Mohne dam was very interesting, the size and height is awesome as well as the areas of repairs in the centre, from there we drove down to Remagen and visited the Peace Museum in the two towers, but the approaches that were blown up have nearly all been replaced by a supermarket and car park, very sad, from there drove down to Houffalize where we stayed and then onto Bastogne, and had a look around the centre where we compared after the battle photos, onto the woods above Foy, were we found the defensive shell scrapes of Easy Coy, onto Noville again comparing then and now photos,then Assenois where there is a small pill box that was the very last line of defense prior to the link up of the 4th Armoured and the 326th Engineers 101st Airborne Div. Saturday we travelled to Trois Pont, a great static display of a King Tiger overlooking the Ambleve valley and a really terrific museum with some of the best uniforms and displays ive seen, from there to Malmedy and the infamous massacre site on the N23 at Baugnez. We decided to visit the spot where the famous picture of SS troops by the road signs of Malmedy and St Vith were , but it now has a ruddy great roundabout instead of cross roads, all in all a fantastic long weekend and highly recommended, hopefully pictures will follow as soon as they can be downloaded and sent to me, regards Dave

Default Re: Battlefield visits

Hi Dave
    Im very envious,im just reading armegeddon by Max Hastings.Its a great read about all the areas you've mentioned.Thanks for sharing.

?

No problem, learnt some interesting facts about the areas and the exploits of those concerned

?

Sounds a good trip Dave, pity you didn't get to Bure and Hottot where British 6th Airborne fought and stopped the Panzer Lehr from bursting out of the Bulge and rolling up the allied front from the flank , the forgotten men of the Ardennes i'm afraid they hardly get a mention in any of the modern contemporary histories !!

The Cemetery at Hottot is always my first stop in the Ardennes where the 6th Airborne dead are resting.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Hi Paul, yes that fact didnt go unnoticed , i was with my mate whos ex 3 para, he told me all about what happened, but we,d planned every step so we could get the most out of the trip, there was one bugbear, i wanted to see Ambleve but it doesnt exist on the maps, it only shows the river, until the end when we were tight for time to get back to the Hook of Holland, we passed a sign that said Ambleve 9km but it was in the opposite direction and would have made us late, so i still dont know if it exists !!

Amblève is just but a river, no place in Belgium is called so.
    But the river Amblève starts in Germany is 9km long and is called "Amel " in German, there is a place near the river called Amel ....not Amblève.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Nice! That's sounds like a fantastic trip!

?

My old man has just informed me that his uncle died at the battle of Bure. He is trying to research all he can about it and wants a photo of the headstone. All we know is that he lays in Hotton War Cemetery row D number 2, we obviously have his name ,rank and number but i think he wants to know what coy he was etc... It is a shame that the Brits are never mentioned in the Ardennes offensive but as my profile states i am more into investigating the German side of the war (not to say i don't think about the poor souls of the allied forces ,i do) It's a shame it all happened at all. But if anyone is heading to Hotton War Cemetery could they please spare one photo and take a picture of my dads uncle for him XX details are

REGAN DANIEL
    United Kingdom Private 14746006Parachute Regiment A.A.C.03/01/1945 Age: 19 VI. D. 2