Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 95 of 154 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 145 ... LastLast

Battlefields in North Karelia( SS-Nord Division)

Article about: Next mirror for REAL gentlemans.....with condom

ccj
    ?

Default Re: Battlefields in North Karelia( SS-Nord Division)

Yes, it would be nice if he were found...
    Quote by lauritor View Post
    Hi Maxim

Have you ever heard about this soldier: Viljo Valter Suokas (1920–1943) long range patrol leader and Knight of the Mannerheim Cross #44.

When Winter War begun in 1939, Viljo was civil guard boy with no actual military training and first served in homefront sentry duties. He soon volunteered to the front and after short training was put as rifleman to JR 34 (Infantry Regiment) and was later moved to Sissiosasto 12 (Guerilla detachment). He fought in battles of Ladoga Karelia, including the Battle of Kollaa. After Winter War he had to do his conscript military service which lasted for a year and included training for long range patrols.

In Continuation War he served as patrol leader in OsKu (Detachment Kuismanen) until 1943 when he was put to officer course and then moved to ErP 4 (Seperate Battalion 4) as 2nd lieutenant. During the war Suokas gained lots of reputation as very capable and skillful guerilla leader. He was credited for many successful reconnaissance and sabotage missions, killing high ranking enemy officers, capturing important prisoners and files with valuable information.

On October 4, 1943, Lt. Suokas was mortally wounded while clearing a storage building of enemy logistics center at Segezha, a town by the Murmansk railway.

His final resting place is possibly 63 22 59.03 N, 34 11 30.68 E near little lake ,where his patrol men buried him under tree, (they also mined the place) his remains were never found and far as i know there were two times that he was search there.
    If you ever or somebody search this place it would be great if he finally can come home.

Quote by martinc View Post
    thank you paul e, that was a better reply!!other than getting my ear chewed off bye a guy that is only enjoying freedom thanks to the efforts of my father and countles of other unsung hero's.
    Just looking through this thread, this comment made me chuckle, when martinc says " countles of other unsung hero's" is he talking about the Red Army's XV111 and XX1X Tank Corps, without the massive sacrifices of the Russian peoples, we would all be speaking fluent German today !

?

I don't know what he meant, but why don't you just PM him and find out.........

The comment was made nearly 18 months ago, #267 so i guess its history now, surprised no one picked up on it thats all !

Maybe because we want this thread to be in tune with the subject ?

Today we celebrate 2 years of this thread!!!

Wahooo !!!!

Congrats It is a truly GREAT thread Keep up the good work

Steve T

Respect ! This is " The Thread of all Threads " !!!!!

Thanx guys!!

Hope we find a lot of SS items in next year
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battlefields in North Karelia( SS-Nord Division)  

Let´s drink to celebrate Aniversary with the fallen Kameraden
    of both sides tonight!
    (Photo by Maxim 2008)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battlefields in North Karelia( SS-Nord Division)  

Page 95 of 154 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 145 ... LastLast