MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

'Black Diggers:' The Russians Robbing WW2 Graves

Article about: Some of you may find this interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wglJxY6i77E Hard to watch without getting a little angry.

Default 'Black Diggers:' The Russians Robbing WW2 Graves

Some of you may find this interesting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wglJxY6i77E

Hard to watch without getting a little angry.

I have to say that I have no idea what this really brings to the table... except for the usual one-sided indignant outcry that I expect to be incoming any minute now, of course.

Vice went hoping to find soulless and evil eastern Europeans desecrating "graves", hence the ridiculously tabloid title, got a few vague anecdotes suiting their agenda but in the end even the reporter himself admits to having become conflicted with regards to his initial tabloid outlook when he found that, except for a badge or a buckle missing, many of these "gravediggers" were actually singlehandedly responsible for giving long lost soldiers a proper grave. They went wanting all black and white but instead found lots of shades of gray... how surprising.

Well, at least this wasn't the usual Daily Mail article that people keep "discovering" and posting over and over again ---

?

Summed it up very well and at least the programme makers did in the end take an objective view rather than just a sensationalist one and showed that whilst this can be a very emotive issue it is also a Grey area both legally and ethically for those who are involved for the " right " reasons.

Interesting comments also about the fact that they have set up their own cemetery due to the very slow response and action to carry out reburials by the relevant authorities , this is unfortunately not an uncommon experience as it can sometimes take years for reburials in a Military cemetery to take place.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings