Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bracelet returned to family

Article about: A great tale, and a honourable gesture.

Default Bracelet returned to family

Some months ago I found a French ID bracelet near Arras. It was dated 1918, and the name and serial number still readeble. I decided to do some research, and found out his family name was rare in France, not to much people with this name.
    On the back of the bracelet Narbonne was ingraved, a village not far from where I found a family with the same name. So today I decided to travel down there, and see what I could find out, and maybe even return the bracelet to the family.
    My first stop was the cemetery in the village, and after a quick walk arround I found the family grave. Now I knew for sure I was in the right spot, so travelled on to the centre of the village to visit the monument to see if his name was on the list.
    I found out he toke service in 1918, and was killed in action in the same year.
    I had looked up the address on internet, and after a few minutes I found the house, knocked on the door but nobody answered, so toke the detector out for a swing in the neighborhood, to come back later. I was more lucky the second time; an old lady answered the door. I explained why I was there, what I had found, and if that could possible be family of her's. It turned out the soldier was her husbands grandfather. She had never met the man in person, but had heard the stories about the war, how young lads where taken away from their homes to fight in the war, never to come back. They had lost more family in the great war she told; Jean's brother also never came back. Her husband was not in, but she asked me if she could have the bracelet to give it to her husband, or their children, and of course I told her it belonged to them, and it was the meaning of my trip to return it. She asked me a few times if she had to pay anyhting, but of course I told her they owed me nothing. Altough she had never met the soldier in person she told me she would pray for him next week, when the French commemorate the fallen in the great war. I said I would too. I never left my phonenumber or address, maybe I should have, I don't know. Anyway, the bracelet is back home after all these years, and I bet the lady and her husband are puzzeled how it ever could end up in their hands.

I've uploaded some pictures, hope you guys like it. Now I'm moving on to my next project; a French messtin named and dated. It belonged to a French soldier who was taken prisoner at Dunkirque 4 june 1940.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bracelet returned to family   Bracelet returned to family  

Bracelet returned to family   Bracelet returned to family  

Bracelet returned to family  

?

Default Re: Bracelet returned to family

Honourable work my friend well done !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

VERY WELL DONE.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

ian
    ?

very well done sir ,,,quedos to you
    cheers ian

Fantastic work, well done

Thanks for sharing the story

Danny

a big hip hip hooray to sir very well done very honorable and im sure they will remember it for the rest of their lives

tom

This is superb, hats off to you for making this effort and taking the time to research, find the family and then return this small but very significant link with their relatives past, something they'll treasure and Im sure pass down through their generations to come.
    Really great Work.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Sorry ,i missed your thread..
    You're a real great guy.
    Where are you from?

Ok,from Luxembourg ,obviously.So you travelled more than 1000 km to give back a bracelet?You realy are someone incredible,and i hope french medias had news from your gesture.Acts like your have to be widely knowed.Thank you.

Superb work. A very honourable thing to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast