Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Braunton Burrows, Devon

Article about: Normally to be found holidaying in Normandy, this year the family won and we went to North Devon. That said, the place was rich in WW2 links. Also, walking around Braunton Burrows we found t

Default Braunton Burrows, Devon

Normally to be found holidaying in Normandy, this year the family won and we went to North Devon. That said, the place was rich in WW2 links. Also, walking around Braunton Burrows we found these lying on the ground. I assume they are modern and related to the continued use of the area as a training ground. They are all British with RG stamps. The LMG cases have the code RG 08 L43A1 and the rifle rounds RG then either 86, 94, 04 then L1A1 or L1A2or L18A1. I assume them to be drill rounds. Can anyone confirm?

David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Braunton Burrows, Devon  

?

Default Re: Braunton Burrows, Devon

Hi Mate

The smaller cases are British 5.56 mm and the link ones are 7.62, both current issue kit. all are blank rounds -can be seen by the crimped ends. Drill rounds are silver and red in colour

Cheers
    Perce

Nice find the linked 7.62 would be for a GPMG, and 5.56 for the SA80 all have been fired by the looks of the open crimps and marks on percussion caps .

Thanks for the information. Kids found most of them so will help in their induction into relic hunting!

David

billers

the two digit numbers are normally a reference to the year of manufacture, which puts these cartridges in the modern era. Have a look here for a quick guide to headstamps......

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...adstamps-5718/

The other guys already identified the rounds for you which is good

To get to the WW2 relics you will almost certainly need a metal detector and a spade ! 65-70 years after being dropped usually results in them being 8-12 inches under the top soil., (although those dropped on sand can come back to the surface, as can those dropped on the land but in a ploughed area).

Steve T

Steve

Thanks for the mail.

I've had some success with the metal detector in Normandy (see attached) but still learning. Alao do a lot of Normandy war-walking as I've a place near Omaha Beach.

I'm also slap bang in the middle of England - just byM40/M42. Have not done much locally but there are a couple of sites I will get round too soon. Always happy to share, learn and jointly pursue if you're interested.

David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Braunton Burrows, Devon   Braunton Burrows, Devon  

Braunton Burrows, Devon  

billers

Nice finds Looks like you got some .30cals and some German 7.92's there. I found a LOT of very similarly damaged .30 and .50 cal cases as the two you show on the right. Must have been an ammo dump explosion as the are I found mine in has never been ploughed.

I am about 10miles from Ashby De La Zouch so I reckon we could easy double team a few places

Steve T

Very local!

.30 cal - lucky find on Omaha Beach. Others, German positions in and around Omaha Beach and St Lo. Other than that have a garage full of useless shrapnel from Ardennes and Normandy from my early days with the detector. Now have an Xterra 70 and getting betting at sifting rubbish out.

There is an alleged B17 crash site I'm investigating and fancy one or two of the 8th airforce sites in Northamptonshire. If you are intersted then let me know.

David

me, my uncle and 2 of my friends pick these up after the army train at a place, we have found nearly 10,000 between us with links aswel. we just walk along picking them up its good fun