Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

British Airfield refuse dump.

Article about: Nice photos, the mirror looks similar to an early war Spitfire type but the mounting is wrong, they were always aluminium. That said it could have been used on a truck or bike after it was s

?

Default Re: British Airfield refuse dump.

Nice photos, the mirror looks similar to an early war Spitfire type but the mounting is wrong, they were always aluminium. That said it could have been used on a truck or bike after it was scrapped. There sould be an A 'crown' M logo stamped into the back under the crud. The big brass cylinder looks like a thermostat valve out of an aircraft cooling system. Do the bakelite rotor arm cover and magneto face fit together? looks like they could! Thanks for posting. If you find a chromed switch with up/down on either side I would be very interested!
    Last edited by ian_; 10-21-2010 at 08:52 PM.

I've finaly found out what these are

I found them ages ago amazingly i kept them. One less slap in the face from Steve :P

I'm going to clean them up and see if they have any markings like your pieces

Cheers

Keep the pictures comming

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Airfield refuse dump.  

Although Ive found lots of cutlery most is civilian, but these two are interesting a NAAFI fork and AM (Air Ministry) spoon.

Another unidentified but well marked peice.

A 20mm and .303 blank casing.

A nice condition torch, Ive found a couple of larger ones but they're in poor condition.

RAF pottery shards, the RAF bowl was large the fragment probably came from a washing bowl.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Airfield refuse dump.  

LS

Your nice brass thingy that is 'well marked' looks like a thermostat housing to me as well. The spring in the top and what looks like a diaphragm in the middle point this way. I love your gasmask bits. Very nice I am inclined to think your mirror isn't from an aircraft, purely due to the fact it's made of brass. Why take all that time to build a lightweight aircraft then whack a brass mirror on it ? Doesn't make sense to me, but so many things don't......

WH

Sorry but you still get a slap. I had some of these filter covers ID'd by Danny about 18 months ago. PAY ATTENTION !

Steve T

As expected I discovered plenty of plain beer bottles, but this was an unusual find a 1 gallon stone jar, sadly unmarked.

Again this is unidentified but Im guessing its a small aileron or flap, the top coat of paint was green but below was originally painted blue. Because of its small size it must have come from a small aircraft. The only mark I can find on this relic is the number 181 on the hinge spindle bracket

Nice aluminium medical tin.

Well preserved hand wash tube, called Hand Jelly by KLEEN-EZE. The question is was this product used by the engineers because it was similar to swarfega or was it perhaps used as a medical hand wash?

and finally, a couple of electronic components, I don't know what they were used for although the valve looks like it could have been a (small) high voltage (metal contact on top) transmitting pentode. Sadly any markings it originally carried have now worn off.

Thank You.

LUCKYSTRIKE

John, I'm pleased this thread has helped you ID the gas mask bits, give them a good clean Im sure they'll have some markings.
    Ian, Thanks for all your help with ids on this thread its been most helpful, I'll see if I can marry up the rota arm cover with the magneto housing, it'll be great if they do. I'll also look out for the switch, but as you know its always pot luck what comes up, but you never know.....
    Steve, Again thanks for the confirmation on the thermostat housing, it's a heavy peice of kit. I know what you mean when you say it seems strange to put a brass mirror in a light weight aircraft, but as far as I know most were made of brass although the brass is quite thin which I suppose helps.
    I was talking to the curator of the Army Flying museum a while back and he told me that some pre and even early WW2 planes did not have rear facing mirrors fitted as standard?, this surprised me but he said that the pilots would sometimes buy them themselves and fit them. Perhaps he was confused with the wars because they have impressive displays of WW1 aircraft and relics as well.
    All the best for now.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Hello

I just cleaned mine off and it's dated 1940

Did that torch have any markings?

nice to see the gallon jar come up shame it didn't have markings i bet it would have made your day if it did

cheers

John

HI John,
    John
    Thats a result 1940 heh, did you get any marking on the lens surround a date or mark no?. I must say I was surprised to get the 'Flagon Jar' from its type of glaze I'd say it was 1930/40's.Tthey were manufactured and used right up to the 60's.
    I couldn't find any markings on the torch unfortunately.
    All the best.
    LS

Hi guys..the mirror IS aircraft and used on everything from DH82 s to early
    Spitfire MKs,the latter round mirrors are also brass!
    The strut I suspect is a PITOT tube mount,as it will require the 2 tubes,for the ASI
    and static tube, from its size it looks to be off a twin or larger.
    Nice Finds
    Regards Mike

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Sorry but you still get a slap. I had some of these filter covers ID'd by Danny about 18 months ago. PAY ATTENTION !
    Was it really that long ago Steve?

The gas mask parts look great though, even in the condition that they are in If you want I could send you a battered up hose and filter that I've had lying around for the past year or so? You could probably bash them up and age them a bit more until they are in a similar condition to the eyepieces and exhale assembly you already have and put together a display like in the picture below

Thanks

Danny
    Last edited by GasMasksUK; 10-24-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast