Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British Army Dump - February 2012 - First RRPG dig of the year

Article about: I Think the spoon could have some age to it maybe Victorian

Default British Army Dump - February 2012 - First RRPG dig of the year

Hi all

Well, despite the weather, the first RRPG dig of the year went ahead on Saturday.

When I got to the site, the car temp gauge read -12.5 !!!! The ground was frozen solid 2-3inches down and had to be hacked through to get to the softer earth. A thick layer of snow lay on everything making the site barely recognisable. Because of the temp, and the covering of snow, digging was hard going and difficult as you could not see where to start digging. This resulted in a relatively small volume of finds for this site, and nothing that we hadn't seen before.

I was also without my lucky mascot on this dig, Davejb. He was sorely missed

Along with the weather, only three people turned out for the dig which was a shame, but unavoidable. Hopefully the next dig will get a better turn out.

All in all it was a little bit of a disappointing day, but hey........you have to take the rough with the smooth.......

I did find an area where they must have discarded thousands of slings, mainly Thompson, because of the massive layer of fire damaged sling buckles. I must of recovered more than 2,000 buckles in the space of 30 minutes. I kept the pick of the bunch and left the rest on the surface for the guys to helps themselves too at the next dig

The before cleaning shot doesn't include a large number of sling buckles as these are already in vinegar

Hit one patch where a few drill and inspection rounds popped out.

Headstamps for you.....

And some more.....

BE = Royal Ordnance Factory, Blackpole, Worchester.
    U = Dummy round
    RL = Royal Laboratory, Woolwich Arsenal, Kent
    D = Drill round

More bits to come once they're cleaned, and I'm sure DM will post his finds as well

Laters

Steve T

Default Re: British Army Dump - February 2012 - First RRPG dig of the year

Great finds. It must be so cool to unearth just one round.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Good effort considering the conditions,fair play to you

Good effort Steve. I was thinking of you guys on this one.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks guys.......it was tough going. I thought my ears/feet/hands were going to fall off at various times during the day.

Hey Peeps,

Not the best finds and very few. Steve missed my most exciting find of the day which he said as soon as he left I would get something good... well good might not be how he would describe it.

I cleaned the glass items and nothing else really cleaned yet, the Sten mag had a quick scrub as well as the bayonet handle...

British Army Dump - February 2012 - First RRPG dig of the yearBritish Army Dump - February 2012 - First RRPG dig of the yearBritish Army Dump - February 2012 - First RRPG dig of the yearBritish Army Dump - February 2012 - First RRPG dig of the year

The Brylcream pot Steve found and gave me is at least twice the size of the larger ones we normally find there! I didn't realise how much bigger it is until I place it on display next to the other two.

Sorry there's nothing more exciting to show... Mouse

Great stuff,
    Mouse, what does it say on the base of the coca cola bottle? I think it's quite a modern one because it's a screw top and also wartime ones would just have coca cola in raised glass no colour.

Cheese

ignor that... I wrote two lenghty reply's and then when I pressed to post it fails and gives some stupid reason... and I have to start again... now I know it posts, I will write it out again.

No date on bottle, I'm guessing its either 60's or 80's. Only markings on bottle are a bottle plant manf mark of 'PB', bottom is plain.

The white text on the bottle is deilcate in places and will probably remain this stained brown-off white colour.

Interesting points on the bottle are -
    1, on the cap it has PATENT No 975739 FLAVOR LOK (R)
    2, No best before date
    3, 25FL OZ (710ml)
    4, Bottle plant manf 'PB'
    5, It says nothing about keep refrigerated or cool etc

Mouse

Great finds, but you people are nuts for going out to dig when the ground is FROZEN!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast