MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

British Army Dump - October 2011 - Last RRPG dig of the year !

Article about: Hi all Well, I don't think it is a PIAT part. Here are two pictures from the manual. Now unless the bit WH has is made up of more than one of the parts shown, it doesn't appear to be part of

?

Default Re: British Army Dump - October 2011 - Last RRPG dig of the year !

Excellent job, the acidity in the vinegar must be more or less the right ph to clean but not destroy, have you tried it on the rifle bolts yet, i would do a two part test, one on an uncleaned piece straight from the ground and then one thats had the outer covering of rust removed, just to see how much of the crust can be removed over certain time periods

YAY... Excellent Steve, glad the vinegar is serving you well Love the Vicker's muzzle break.

Mouse

Any toughts on Acetic acid? Its 5 litres for £18 + P&P on ebay, I just wonder if it were diluted down whether its a good alternative.

No toughts.......but plenty of thoughts.

Does it say what concentration it is ? Does the word 'Glacial' appear anywhere in the description ?

Glacial acetic acid is 99% concentrated and will eat through metal a little bit slower than concentrated nitric acid, but not much slower. The vinegar we are using is about 5% acetic acid in water so, depending on the concentration of the stuff you've found, you will have to dilute it to achieve an equivalent concentration.

I would just like to point out that you can get 500ml of the stuff we're using for about 40p, hence 10 bottles would be about £4. If you get Glacial acetic acid, 5 litres will make approximately 100 litres of what we're using, (5000ml of glacial made up to 100,000ml with water), therefore costing you about 9p per 500ml. A big saving. However, we're talking about pence here, not pounds and you've also got to keep the damn stuff away from everyone and only open it in open spaces and take precautions like industrial rubber gloves, re-breather and chem suit. If so much as a drop gets on you it'll eat through your hand faster than you can get to a tap.

So yeah......sounds like a great idea. I'll give you my phone number so you can ring me and get burns advice.

Steve T

Hmm, It cant be too strong as its in plastic containers, However I dont see myself going through 100 Litres of the stuff anytime soon. I think I'll stick to vinegar!

SMLE Bayonet Cleaned
    Attachment 288882

Can't remember
    Attachment 288884

Its a Vickers gun muzzle protector. Used to protect the barrel crown from cord/rod wear when cleaning.

Nice job on the muzzle protector. I think mine will have to under the vinegar treatment as well seeing as yours has come out so well

Steve T

Thanks for the ID

I only put it the vinegar for a very short time then i used the dremel on it.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast