Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

browning relic

Article about: Hi guys been offered this it looks like a ground dug Browning although i am no expert here, rusted solid apart from main feed latch, heavily pitted with no visable markings although a good c

Default browning relic

Hi guys been offered this it looks like a ground dug Browning although i am no expert here, rusted solid apart from main feed latch, heavily pitted with no visable markings although a good clean might help, the guy wants £175 and informs me it is totally safe nothing moves, thoughts please

browning relicbrowning relicbrowning relicbrowning relicbrowning relicbrowning relicbrowning relicbrowning relicbrowning relicbrowning relic

I'd pay it.....it's a .303 Browning aircraft gun ; haven't got time to start looking through my books for the exact model etc. Pity there's no provenance but it looks remarkably complete - these aren't east to find in 'unbent' condition.

As far as I can see its a .30 cal (or .303 I dont know which) Browning M2 aircraft machine gun similar to this one. Personally I would buy it if it were offered to me.

My only reservation is that it appears to have already been intensively cleaned, which I dont like. However, relics like this dont appear for sale very often in my experience.

Is the history known?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture browning relic   browning relic  

It was found in the back of a garage, a good clean may reveal some serial numbers, it is also bloody heavy.

Thanks Douglas, the picture is mis leading it is full of old dark rust, it is filthy, it was in an old garage clearout and the pitting would suggest it has been in the ground for some time, can not see down the barrel totally blocked with krud.

Decided to buy it, now to clean or not to clean.

What is the current legal angle on this. I thought it was currently illegal to sell this without a cert of deactivation, even in this state.

I am informed it is totally safe/made safe , not in hand yet whether it is certified i am unsure, at the present time it is only verbal so something i need to look into i am not even sure if it is complete. maybe one for the Spitfire preservation group.

There is a grey area in the law about relic weapons, but in practice it seems to be fine. The law makes provision for guns 'to be deactivated by other means' ie deactivated for reasons other than having approved work done by the proof house, but it does not specify what this is. I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for owning a gun like this, providing the working parts are seized up.

Personally I would recommend cleaning any dirt but not removing rust.

Thanks douglas, i will meet with the chap over the weekend and get a hands on inspection of it, maybe a loose soft brush and a layer of Renaissance wax, he has told me he will throw in some spent shells on a belt, this should enhance any display i may make.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast