Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Bullet In The Wall ( Stavelot )

Article about: In the Ardennes, plenty of bullet markscan be seen in buildings. But somehow, you never seem to see the bullet..... But on my recent La Gleize trip, I noticed an old house in Stavelot about

Arrow The Bullet In The Wall ( Stavelot )

In the Ardennes, plenty of bullet marks can be seen in buildings. But somehow, you never seem to see the bullet.....

But on my recent La Gleize trip, I noticed an old house in Stavelot about to be refurbished. Some of the old-style cladding ( witth bullet holes ) had been torn away...

And when I looked very closely, there was the bullet...

...the first one I've ever found !

( And before you ask - it was too high for me to reach ! )

Step ladders!...

Do iT!

?

You will regret it- so go back and get it!

looks like a 45 slug.
    Maybe from a Thompson or a 1911???

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Are you sure its not simply the end of a rawl plug that's been inserted into the mortar to affix the cladding ? far easier to drill into that than drill into what looks like granite blocks

?

Well, it ain't granite. In Belgium we call it 'Naturestone'. A lot of the houses in Wallonien are built with these stones which are natural products instead of the ordinary brics that we use in Flandern.
    During WW2 most of these houses were built in these kind of stone materials.
    It means also that these houses are ideal to make reinforced fortresses from to form an excellent MOUT-invironment.

That's the rear end of a 45ACP FMJ round. Probably from a Thompson 1928A1. I would very gingerly rock it loose from the mortar. It will probably come right out. God only knows how many more rounds are stuck in that house...

Looks like modern post war pointing above and directly below it to me. In those days the mortar would have had a large amount of lime in it and would be like dust when disturbed. They could have pointed around it post war I suppose, be interesting if it is removed....

Red face

Yup - you got me - I stuck a Rawlplug in the wall - a very big Rawlplug. And then carefully bashed some holes in the cladding further along the wall to look like more bulletholes. And that 'King Tiger' at La Gleize...obvious fake.....
    I mean, it's not as though there was much actual fighting in Stavelot.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast