MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cannon ball? i've 3 pcs....!

Article about: hello, just found these beauties!! 3 pcs fresh from a trench hole were we are building a house. I am in North Italy Napoleone was over here for long time... The balls do not ring with metald

Default cannon ball? i've 3 pcs....!

hello, just found these beauties!! 3 pcs fresh from a trench hole were we are building a house.

I am in North Italy Napoleone was over here for long time...

The balls do not ring with metaldetector, the seem in some sort of wood or resin.

Each is about 400/600 grams... have any idea, TKS Jimmone
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture cannon ball? i've 3 pcs....!   cannon ball? i've 3 pcs....!  

Default Re: cannon ball? i've 3 pcs....!

Boules!? Isnt that french? Bit big too?
    Dan

Luxtim
    ?

I found something very similar on a beach in Hong Kong. Wasn't sure if it was a cannonball or not.

If its more wooden and weighs about tne same as a Coconut, then it could be a little more exotic! The Cannonball tree fruit can last like a coconut and is found mainly in south america, washed up on beaches etc and with age looks like cannonball hence the name.
    Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture cannon ball? i've 3 pcs....!  

Luxtim
    ?

Admittedly I use to enjoy a beer or two but it definitely was made from stone.
    I thought it may be ballast? looks like a cannonball and is in my garden now in Lux.

During the iceage, alot of stone was turned into balls by ice movement, they are commonly found all over the world!

Quote by bikerboyzx6r View Post
    During the iceage, alot of stone was turned into balls by ice movement, they are commonly found all over the world!
    Some of the things my wife says to me sometimes turns my balls to stone. Is that the same thing ?? She's not old enough to have been around in the ice age though

Back on topic Stephen !!!!!........

The thing I thought most about these finds is.....3 in one spot ? Cannons were notoriously inaccurate so unless you stumbled on a storage area I find them unlikely to be cannonballs.

I like the fruit idea ! Try cracking one open !

Steve T

How about drilling a hole into one? it will be hollow inside if a fruit! Or just go wild with Steve's idea and smash one to bits hahaha
    Dan

Make sure theyre not stone! If they are stone they can be medieval (or even Roman) catapult missiles.
    Look at the pics at the bottom of the page
    Roman Military Equipment: Weapons - Gladius, Spatha, Pugio, Pilum

They are not made of stone....
    I live in Italy, we do know about roman relics....

However it's not metal (metaldetector does NON ring) seems more like a mixture of fine sand, wood and a type of resin... i'll try to cip a small bit off and see if it gets on fire easily, if so it could be some sort of ancient progectile???...

However, TKS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast