Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cleaning propeller blades

Article about: Following Steve T's impressive citric acid steel cleaning, here is the start of a long overdue job to preserve a pair of propeller blades. The steel blade is P61 Black Widow, the aluminium f

?

Default Cleaning propeller blades

Following Steve T's impressive citric acid steel cleaning, here is the start of a long overdue job to preserve a pair of propeller blades. The steel blade is P61 Black Widow, the aluminium from a Curtiss Mohawk. The 'before' photos show the rusted bases. I'm trying Deox C, a non toxic solution which has worked well in the past. It's only the bases for now, I don't have a big enough bucket for the blades.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cleaning propeller blades   Cleaning propeller blades  

Cleaning propeller blades   Cleaning propeller blades  

Last edited by ian_; 01-12-2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Spellin

Good luck! Can't wait to see the results

?

I think I got too curious and didn't leave them long enough to pickle. The Mohawk is looking good but the P61 certainly needed a bit longer. Depressingly, both of these came out of the ground mint but were left outside in the elements. The P61 blade came out in 1986 and was given to the farmer, who lay it down in his yard so it wouldn't fall on his kids. The plane was re dug in 2006 and the farmer very kindly donated it. Twenty years of Cheshire weather hadn't helped it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cleaning propeller blades   Cleaning propeller blades