Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Commando

Article about: Hi! I went to the beach today for a family walk and of course I took my MD just in case because I knew that shoreline used to be a training area for a short period for Commando. To my surpri

Default Commando

Hi!

I went to the beach today for a family walk and of course I took my MD just in case because I knew that shoreline used to be a training area for a short period for Commando. To my surprise I did find few things, empty cases, bullets, few other bits. You can see them on a first picture. There was also one strange thing which I left over there due to my wife as she didn't allow me to take it. I think she may be right as it looks a bit like a 2 inch mortar. What do you think guys?

All the best
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Commando   Commando  

Commando   Commando  

Commando  

Default Re: Commando

If it smells like a 2inch mortar, looks like a 2 inch mortar, and is the right size for a 2 inch mortar...........then it's a 2inch mortar

It certainly looks like one to me, minus the fins.

Nice finds and good call by the Mrs

Any of the headstamps survive on those cartridges ? The smaller one looks like a 9mm but could be a chopped up M1 carbine .30cal. And the one far right seems bigger than the other 303's.

Steve T

Thats definatly a 2" mortar, and it looks like a blind so it was best to leave it, did you rebury it or leave it on the surface?

?

haha see guys, our women are actually right some of the time! Great finds...always fun when you actually find sumthin too! here in VA you can MD your backyard and find civil war relics.

As stated, deffo a 2" mortar. The ranges I used to visit in N. Wales were full of 'em, some with perfect paint markings. I had heard that the Army had tried to clear the area a few years back but I seriously doubt they managed.

Nice finds and yes, your missus was right.

Martyn.

Nice finds, I wonder what else is there to be found