Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cornish airfield

Article about: Hi, I had a dig at an airfield near my home but didnt have much time so two hours there. I only came up with a couple of items but need help to I.D them, One is a connection plug it is brass

Default Cornish airfield

Hi,
    I had a dig at an airfield near my home but didnt have much time
    so two hours there. I only came up with a couple of items but need help to I.D them, One is a connection plug it is brass and has two prongs that are broken. It also has a hairline crack to it there was the rubber pad with it, it is 1,3/4" long x 1" wide.
    The cartrige is aluminium 3,1/4" long x 1" wide the primer is missing. I also found a piece of molten aluminium these were all found behind a revetment, the piece of ally is really burned and could have come from an aircraft burning. hope you can help.
    dave.

Default Re: Cornish airfield

Nice finds Panzer !

I find loads of that melted stuff when I am detecting on airfields....drives me NUTS !

The aluminium case is not going to be a cartridge....aluminium wasn't strong enough to take the forces........I believe You sure it's not steel/copper alloy ? Many of the ground dug cases I get look aluminium but aren't. Could be a 20mm case if it isn't aluminium.

I found an electrical connector similar to yours early last year. Never did identify it !

Steve T

Hi Dave, the plug I think could be off a wireless battery box.

Cheers, Ade.

Rick
    ?

I agree with Ade the conector is a basic conection as it appears to only have 2 pins, power to a light or radio, nice little peice all the same.

Rick

The Aluminum case could/should be from a Flare gun. As they were expendable, they were made out of cheap material. Danny

Whilst trying not to hijack this post I am still keen to hear if anyone can identify this light fitting which I retrieved from our farm close to the crash site of a german aircraft during the war.

Any ideas identifying the part?

Cheers

TOM
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cornish airfield   Cornish airfield  

Cornish airfield  

?

With the external paint still visible on the item ... and the degree angle of the slit ... maybe a flap actuator ? or ariel mount ? or fitting for a pitot tube (airspeed indicator)

Gary J.

It's got a bulb inside it so maybe its a navigators lamp. Sadly no visible markings. The base is bakelite and the main surround is metal...

?

Tom,
    Have a rummage around in here .. maybe you might spot something ?

Luftwaffe Flugzeuge

Regards

Gary J.

Hi,
    Thanks all for the replies, Steve you are right i think about the cartridge as it doesnt even have a rim, so im still lost on that one.
    But it is Alu, with no markings, the plug, well basic but not a bad find. I only had a short time there as the bloody sea mist came in.
    thanks dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast