Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

D-day Omaha beach MG barrel found.

Article about: this is amazing ! Next to the little tree is the "Artillerie-beobachtungs-Stelle" where the soldiers called "Frerking" and "Fack" observed the beach. They sent

Default Re: D-day Omaha beach MG barrel found.

hi...sorry for the late answer.

I believe what you say.
    There are only these points which I mentioned that makes it all very indistinct.

I dont know if you understand german but here is the website of the man who researched WN62 and interviewed the veterans of it and wrote the books about it:

Von Keusgen/Portrait

And here is the portrait of the soldier "Hein Severloh". I think one of the barrels you found belonged to him.

H.E.K.Creativ Verlag/Portraits/Hein Severloh

It would be really great if you could donate one of your barrels to a museum.
    Are these artifacts still in france now ?

best wishes,
    0.S.

Quote by OrangSoldier View Post
    hi...sorry for the late answer.

I believe what you say.
    There are only these points which I mentioned that makes it all very indistinct.

I dont know if you understand german but here is the website of the man who researched WN62 and interviewed the veterans of it and wrote the books about it:

Von Keusgen/Portrait

And here is the portrait of the soldier "Hein Severloh". I think one of the barrels you found belonged to him.

H.E.K.Creativ Verlag/Portraits/Hein Severloh

Are these artifacts still in france now ?

best wishes,
    0.S.
    I got one here with me in the US and the other one is still in Storage in France.I was thinking about donating one to a Museum but everytime A Museum Ask me to donate something to them the items some how end up in some private collection so I stop donating anything to Museum.I look at the websites all the pictures of the area are after 1984 when the bunkers were clean-up.

Chris , i am of the same opinon when it comes to donateing items to museums , iv herd of many stories where people have given treasures so such places only to find they have gone missing somewhere along the line , some have found to have been sold as a few such cases down here in NZ , or they get hidden away in a storage room never to be seen again , no mate id be keeping them , cheers Raymond

Quote by ironcross1 View Post
    Chris , i am of the same opinon when it comes to donateing items to museums , iv herd of many stories where people have given treasures so such places only to find they have gone missing somewhere along the line , some have found to have been sold as a few such cases down here in NZ , or they get hidden away in a storage room never to be seen again , no mate id be keeping them , cheers Raymond
    I am glad you see what I am talking about

The other barrel is now in the US just got to get it from My dad.
    They just move back to the US.
    Will post it has soon Has I get it.
    Chris

?

A chilling read.
    Here a thread I started on Severloh:
    Horrific and moving - D Day Omaha Beach MG42 gunner meets GI

Yeah! I know the story very well... very intereting.
    The author of the book (Keusgen) did not believe the story of the barrel. I think that's a pity because now, it will be forgotten one day...
    He runs a museum about WN62 ann the story of the soldiers who had to fight there.
    The barrel would be an awesome display in there.
    I made a model of WN62 in the scale 1:72. I think I will donate it to him one day.

I don't mean to be provocative here at all, but I think it is inappropriate to suggest to people that they should give away parts of their collection for whatever reason. It is a gesture that should be completely instigated by the owner of the item.

Maybe I'm being a little sensitive but that would annoy me.

Rant over
    Andy

PS. Excellent story and finds, really fantastic

?

The author of the book (Keusgen) did not believe the story of the barrel. I think that's a pity because now, it will be forgotten one day...
    He runs a museum about WN62 ann the story of the soldiers who had to fight there.
    I made a model of WN62 in the scale 1:72. I think I will donate it to him one day.
    I know you do. I read your posts with interest.
    You obviously did a lot of research on the subject.
    Thanks for excellent info and the links.

?

I'm pretty sure the story will not be forgotten, for one its in print here and accessible , secondly Chris wont let it be forgotten, thirdly your friend might not believe it but thats not to say it is'nt one of the barrels used, plus the preponderence of evidence is very coincidental, two barrels found within 20 feet of that very bunker under barbed wire, heavy foilage and undisturbed ground, also is your friend saying that he does'nt believe that they were found there or just that he thinks they are not associated with the man in question

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast