Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A day of diggin in Germany

Article about: by me109g4 ok,, I have to ask,, what is it with all these European countries banning the use of metal detectors? What horrific crime are they trying to prevent? Sorry to get off track on th

?

Default Re: A day of diggin in Germany

Quote by me109g4 View Post
    ok,, I have to ask,, what is it with all these European countries banning the use of metal detectors? What horrific crime are they trying to prevent? Sorry to get off track on th thread but i keep seeing warnings about metal detectors,,,, Thanks all.
    The reasons are too numerous to mention here , try as google search !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by me109g4 View Post
    ok,, I have to ask,, what is it with all these European countries banning the use of metal detectors? What horrific crime are they trying to prevent? Sorry to get off track on th thread but i keep seeing warnings about metal detectors,,,, Thanks all.
    As Paul allready stated, the reasons are numerous.
    Biggest reason is that some diggers don't respect the country's laws regarding the regulation of the use of metal detectors, recovery of artefacts or relics(dammaging or destroying public and privat property or historical and archeological sites, leaving hughe holes in the ground, etc), and so by their illegal action screwing everything up for those who do respect the law.

Regards,
    Steven

One reason also, that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that in many countries, if something valuable is unearthed from public land(or in many cases even on Private land!), the government Wants it. In Britain, they have the ""Treasure Trove Law", which is about the most reasonable of the rules-if something significant such as the recent Saxon Gold hoard is discovered, they will pay the discoverer Fair Market Value for their artifacts. A pity that you can't Keep a single bit you find, but at least they give you it's full worth!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12