Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Detecting....Its not just about bombs, bullets and weapons.

Article about: Attachment 1038061Attachment 1038062 Hi, please take a look at this 'Lucky Penny'. A 1919 English penny that appears to be doubly lucky! Lucky because I found it, but more importantly..... l

Default Detecting....Its not just about bombs, bullets and weapons.

Attachment 1038061Attachment 1038062

Hi, please take a look at this 'Lucky Penny'. A 1919 English penny that appears to be doubly lucky! Lucky because I found it, but more importantly..... lucky because it may have prevented a soldier from serious injury, or even may have saved his life! As you can see, a .303 round sits perfectly in the point of impact. Yet it doesn't appear to have passed through. We will never know, but I feel lucky to have found this.
    Francis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Detecting....Its not just about bombs, bullets and weapons.   Detecting....Its not just about bombs, bullets and weapons.  

Detecting....Its not just about bombs, bullets and weapons.   Detecting....Its not just about bombs, bullets and weapons.  

One of those things that I wish could speak! Congrats, and thanks for sharing.

Mart

Nice find Wonder if it may have been used for target practice? Good shot if so.

Steve

A penny wouldn't stop a rifle round unless it was virtually out of energy!..

mpw
    ?

Nice find. I'm thinking target practice too. A worn 1919 penny with a .303 is post WW1 for sure.

Hi there Martin C, No 1 Cannuck, Gunny Hartmann, and MPW. Thank you very much for your replies. Obviously I would prefer the thought of stopping a stray bullet, but the chances are it could be a target shot. But therein lies the contradiction......
    To have hit this as a target shot and as pointed out by 'Gunny' and it being 'out of energy', that would have taken an amazingly accurate Super Human skill at that range. But who's to know. Someone could have taken countless shots before it was finally hit. As Martin says, ....if it could only speak. It was found in predominantly ww2 location and old pennies were in circulation for years. So to sum up, we will never know. Kind regards. Francis