Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 28 of 97 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 ... LastLast

Digging in KURLAND

Article about: And this is short documentary about how we dug out Grossdeutchland soldiers.

Default Re: Digging in KURLAND

Sorry Andris, you didn't quite manage to cover up the 'V-5 Fallen Tree' well enough there!

Nice finds indeed! Much better in your hands than rusting away to nothing in a farm yard.

Martyn.

YOu are the best!!!

I have to ask the question,are theses graves? It seems that the level you are digging you should find bones.Why would all of this stuff be buried in a Forrest grove.Do you think it was Russian booty.I have seen digs at Civil War sites here in Tennessee but never the amount of personal stuff you have found.Every one of the medals came from a German soldier it is amazing.

Wow, i need to plan a trip to kurland.

?

Quote by Franz1944 View Post
    Wow, i need to plan a trip to kurland.

You and half the guys on this group Franz....Myself included!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Quote by operaman View Post
    I have to ask the question,are theses graves? It seems that the level you are digging you should find bones.Why would all of this stuff be buried in a Forrest grove.Do you think it was Russian booty.I have seen digs at Civil War sites here in Tennessee but never the amount of personal stuff you have found.Every one of the medals came from a German soldier it is amazing.
    Army Group Kurland surrenderd inside the Kurland pocket and almost everything they had was left behind when they headed off to the Russian POW Camps.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Paul,I knew there had to some kind of explanation for all this stuff landing in one place.I am amazed at the knowledge that our members have .

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Army Group Kurland surrenderd inside the Kurland pocket and almost everything they had was left behind when they headed off to the Russian POW Camps.
    Thanks, Paul!

As always, when we find something good we don't have camera.

If I'm not mistaken it happened in 2006 near small forest road which connect bunker town and big road, that place is neat to last frontline of German troops in May 1945. There we found fireplace where germans burned their stuff before going to Soviet POW camps, in that fireplace we found a lot of awards and some 10-15 Close Combat clasps (I don't remember how many, it was long time ago), most of them were broken and there is clay and they were burned, so condition was bad we divided them between us, everybody got some 4 clasps, I got good clasps, may be one or two were silver, I don't remember, but all clasps of one of my friends were broken. He threw them at his farm and he remembered about them only after some time.

When he started to clean them he noticed one "bright bronze" clasp which were broken in two parts, he came to me to make photos (sorry about them it was 5 years ago) and to show it on russian forum, in that time we thoght that exists only silver and bronze clasps, but this was too bright, russians said that it is Close Combat Clasp in GOLD, and they were only 600.

Now it is in his collection, of course not for sale.

I wanted to know your opinions, may be it is Close Combat Clasp in "Bright Bronze"?

Regards,
    Andris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Digging in KURLAND   Digging in KURLAND  

Digging in KURLAND   Digging in KURLAND  

Digging in KURLAND  

?

Could be a gold Andris , difficult to tell , you are right just over 600 were awarded and they were very highly prized by the German front line combat veterans , to get the gold you had to survive 50 days Nahkampf ( Close Combat ) so the winners of the Nahkampfspange in Gold were and still are highly revered !! It's possible if it is Gold that we could maybe work out whose it was depending on where it was found ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 28 of 97 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 ... LastLast