Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 97 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 ... LastLast

Digging in KURLAND

Article about: And this is short documentary about how we dug out Grossdeutchland soldiers.

Default Re: Digging in KURLAND

Quote by Vonforhud View Post
    Are those last pictures parts of a tank? You should be able to find some tank parts

Incredible how many medals you found in one place.
    We have found a lot of tank parts, in start of thread You can see Tiger and Panther track links.
    Last edited by Inf Div 121; 06-30-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Absolutely great, drooling over your whole collection.
    That interesting box has what look like rubber stamps in it. Possibly could have been used to stamp german documents on the field?

Regards,
    Finn

Quote by Rommel1942 View Post
    Absolutely great, drooling over your whole collection.
    That interesting box has what look like rubber stamps in it. Possibly could have been used to stamp german documents on the field?

Regards,
    Finn
    Hi, Finn!

In this box was 2 bronze stamps and a lot of rubber ones.

Regards,
    Andris

?

Great stuff Andris
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Yes i thought so. Certainly a neat find!

Regards,
    Finn

I'm a new member but an experienced relic hunter. Those are some great relics. Maybe....too good. I lot of those pictures are pointing to grave robbing. The large number of personal objects such as lighter, buttons, I.D. TAGS, medals, bagdes, all suggest grave robbing.

I can't and won't condone that in any form. I know it will continue regardless. At the very LEAST, I wish the OP would leave the I.D. tags on the remains. What real value do they have to anyone but the deceased?

I know this from personal experience and just recently stumbled upon the remains of a soldier from the Korean War.

That large number of I.D. tags and badges....that's just absurd....

Quote by Unforgottenwar View Post
    I'm a new member but an experienced relic hunter. Those are some great relics. Maybe....too good. I lot of those pictures are pointing to grave robbing. The large number of personal objects such as lighter, buttons, I.D. TAGS, medals, bagdes, all suggest grave robbing.

I can't and won't condone that in any form. I know it will continue regardless. At the very LEAST, I wish the OP would leave the I.D. tags on the remains. What real value do they have to anyone but the deceased?

I know this from personal experience and just recently stumbled upon the remains of a soldier from the Korean War.

That large number of I.D. tags and badges....that's just absurd....
    Unforgottenwar,

Maybe Andris has just been doing his research, and knows the right places to look. I think he is an honest relic hunter IMO, and I don't think it's right to just go around the forum and accuse people of doing things like grave robbing, cause that's a pretty strong approach.
    Everyone is open to expressing their opinion on forums like these, but coming in guns blazing like you did was a little 'absurd'.

Regards,
    Finn

As unsettling as it may be, the same thing came to my mind as well when I viewed this post. By no means am I making any accusations, but Unforgottenwar does make what I consider a valid observation. Surely similar thoughts crossed the minds of many who have viewed these mind-boggling finds. The sheer volume of personal artifacts alone would obviously lead to that conclusion.

When an id badge is unbroken it means the soldier is still listed as missing in action, the finding of an Erkennungsmarke can bring peace to the relatives of those lost in the war.

?

Maybe better he should not dig or post at all?

I enjoy what is being shared here. If not for the efforts expended, all that is being shared here would remain undiscovered forever.

I think the heading on this segment of the forum says it best.

Perhaps all of you detractors would like to put in the effort of uncovering all this on your own time and expense? Or perhaps you would just let it lay as it has been, which is just what you have done.
    And now you see fit to criticize, after 70 years of neglect. Longer than most of you have been alive.

And what of other archeology? Is it the amount of time that makes the difference?
    We can split hairs all day long. I do not appreciate the headlong attack and accusations
    of a forum member.

Page 9 of 97 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 ... LastLast